Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cloning tire pressure sensors for track wheels (no more reprogramming the tpms)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:33 PM
ImHuntingWabbits
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cloning tire pressure sensors for track wheels (no more reprogramming the tpms)

I couldn't find a thread on this so I thought I would write one about my solution for running two sets of wheels on my 2010 Grand Sport.

Almost all of the threads I've been able to find involve some solution of either putting the TPMS in to learn mode and programming it each time the wheels are swapped OR putting the sensors in some kind of pressurized canister and running wheels without them.

Recently (I think in the last few years?) several manufacturers (Mine are EZSensor?) have come out with programmable sensors that can be programmed with a sensor ID. So for my track wheels I had my tire / alignment shop (Auto Innovations in Milpitas, CA) copy the IDs off my stock wheels and program them in to the new sensors on my track wheels.

For me this took two cars. My GS with the stock wheels and tires and my gracious better half who agreed to come along and haul my track wheels. Here's how things unfolded:

1. The Sensor IDs were read using a TPMS tool from my stock wheels and written down
2. New sensors ($60 each) were installed on my track wheels
3. The new sensors were programmed with the stock sensor IDs
4. Tires were mounted and balanced
5. Stock wheels were removed from my car, wife got to go home
6. Track wheels were installed on the car
7. Drove around for about 30 minutes and went home

The Good:
I also just finished my first weekend at Laguna with no issues. I can now swap between my track and street wheels without having to reprogram my TPMS, easy peasy.

The Maybe Not So Good:
There are still TPMS sensors in the wheels. They will eventually run out of batteries and you'll have to replace them. I'm not sure how long they will last, my stock ones are starting to go dead (23k miles on the car) so I will probably replace them when I get new tires.

If you're in the Bay Area and want more info, contact Orlando @ Auto Innovations
1337 Minnis Circle
Milpitas CA 95035
(408) 956-8004
ask@autoinnovations.com

Here's a bit more info from the printout I got from Auto Innovations:

Stock Wheels
| Wheel | Reads | ID Hex | ID Dec | Pressure | Temperature
| LF | 1 | 006C2435 | 7087157 | 33.6PSI | 100°F |
| RF | 1 | 006C090B | 7080203 | 32.4PSI | 96°F |
| RR | 1 | 006C166E | 7083630 | 33.6PSI | 91°F |
| LR | 1 | 006C1715 | 7083797 | 33.6PSI | 98°F |

Track Wheels, 0 pressure because they didn't have tires on yet
| Wheel | Reads | ID Hex | ID Dec | Pressure | Temperature
| LF | 1 | 006C2435 | 7087157 | 0.0PSI | 77°F |
| RF | 1 | 006C090B | 7080203 | 0.0PSI | 73°F |
| RR | 1 | 006C166E | 7083630 | 0.0PSI | 75°F |
| LR | 1 | 006C1715 | 7083797 | 0.0PSI | 77°F |
Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 AM
z06fun1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is really cool, I didn't even know there are programmable sensors available.
Makes me wonder, seems like now someone could come out with a programmable unit that looks for tpms signals from your street tires and puts out 4 valid pressure signals all the time when you don't have your street tires on. Then you wouldn't have to deal with them on the track tires at all.

Was it hard finding a shop that could do the programming or do you think many tires shops can do this type of specialized thing now?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 AM
ImHuntingWabbits
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z06fun1
That is really cool, I didn't even know there are programmable sensors available.
Makes me wonder, seems like now someone could come out with a programmable unit that looks for tpms signals from your street tires and puts out 4 valid pressure signals all the time when you don't have your street tires on. Then you wouldn't have to deal with them on the track tires at all.
In theory this is possible, but I think the liability out weighs the utility. There's a non-zero risk that the car's control system would intervene based on those pressure readings, and in the case of a true puncture or failure "do the wrong thing".

Originally Posted by z06fun1
Was it hard finding a shop that could do the programming or do you think many tires shops can do this type of specialized thing now?
It was for me, it requires a special programming tool thats significantly more expensive (~$1300) than the usual scan / learn tool. That said my shop bought it because of the number of cars they're getting with TPMS systems with owners who run two or more sets of wheels.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:54 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Do you drive to the track on your track wheels/tires or do you change them out at the track. Just wondering what the car will do if it gets two sets of signals (track wheels vs street) when you change out the wheels at the track and the street stuff is nearby.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Last trip out I drove to the track on my street tires and changed out to the track wheels at the track. The sensors don't transmit unless they are spinning, so there is not interference from the wheels that are left in the pits.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM
morris
Drifting

THe cloning thing is simple, easy and a one time deal I bought the kit on Amazon for less than $300
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by morris
Last trip out I drove to the track on my street tires and changed out to the track wheels at the track. The sensors don't transmit unless they are spinning, so there is not interference from the wheels that are left in the pits.
What car (year, model) do you drive?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM
morris
Drifting

09 z06 mpsc's on the street and r6 on the track
Old 04-22-2014, 06:32 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by morris
09 z06 mpsc's on the street and r6 on the track
I track an 07z, but not sure if the tpms systems are the same in our cars. I know there are some differences between some years, just not sure whether I could do the same (clone) w/o problems by leaving street tires nearby when tracking AND having track tires near (on trailer) when I am going home.

I'm waiting for BEZ06 to come by and weigh in here..........not doubting that you made it work Morris, just not sure I want to try this unless someone had made it work on an 07z.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed....if it does work, then it would relieve me of a huge hassle everytime I have a track day.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 PM
morris
Drifting

I understand your concern. One thing to keep in mind that the sensors shut off when they are not moving, this is how they get the batteries that are in them to last more than a month or two. As such even if the unmounted wheels were in range (a few feet), they would not be transmitting. If they were on all the time the batteries would run dead pretty quickly. Not trying to persuade you just giving you something more to consider.

Get notified of new replies

To Cloning tire pressure sensors for track wheels (no more reprogramming the tpms)

Quick Reply: Cloning tire pressure sensors for track wheels (no more reprogramming the tpms)