Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels damaged at discount tire shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Critter'sC5
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels damaged at discount tire shop

Hi Folks, I have been wracking my brain trying to locate information on the web about repairing versus replacement of polished aluminum wheels. I noted that someone with a little road rash on the side of their wheels inquired in the forum about having their wheels repaired by a cnc lathe but my situation is a bit more involved than that.
When I took my C5 to tire shop the technician used a wire wheel grinder to remove the balancing strip that was affixed to the wheel by adhesive, rather than using a adhesive solvent to remove them. My wheels now have gouges on the inside flat surface the slightly longer than the length of the former balance strip and the tire store insurance rep is recommending repairing my wheels versus replacement.
My concerns are:
won't removal of that much material compromise the structural strength of the wheel, and doesn't that change the color of the wheels to a bluish tone as a result of the heat of the cnc, AND if a cnc is used to hone the wheels down doesn't this change the appearance from polished to machined?
I am a former insurance adjuster retired due to disability. All the reference sources I used to have with ICAR are no longer available to me.
Any and all recommendations, website sources and or documentation is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:14 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter'sC5
Hi Folks, I have been wracking my brain trying to locate information on the web about repairing versus replacement of polished aluminum wheels. I noted that someone with a little road rash on the side of their wheels inquired in the forum about having their wheels repaired by a cnc lathe but my situation is a bit more involved than that.
When I took my C5 to tire shop the technician used a wire wheel grinder to remove the balancing strip that was affixed to the wheel by adhesive, rather than using a adhesive solvent to remove them. My wheels now have gouges on the inside flat surface the slightly longer than the length of the former balance strip and the tire store insurance rep is recommending repairing my wheels versus replacement.
My concerns are:
won't removal of that much material compromise the structural strength of the wheel, and doesn't that change the color of the wheels to a bluish tone as a result of the heat of the cnc, AND if a cnc is used to hone the wheels down doesn't this change the appearance from polished to machined?
I am a former insurance adjuster retired due to disability. All the reference sources I used to have with ICAR are no longer available to me.
Any and all recommendations, website sources and or documentation is greatly appreciated.

Would help knowing where you live to give you more help, but team 3 wheels in San Leandro, Ca (S.F. Bay Area) does a really nice job at repairing wheels.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Critter'sC5
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chetly
Would help knowing where you live to give you more help, but team 3 wheels in San Leandro, Ca (S.F. Bay Area) does a really nice job at repairing wheels.
Thanks for the reply! Phoenix, AZ metro

Get notified of new replies

To Wheels damaged at discount tire shop

Quick Reply: Wheels damaged at discount tire shop