Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo t1r vs Mich. pilot SS - base vette, stock power.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Toyo t1r vs Mich. pilot SS - base vette, stock power.

Gents -

I have some wheels on order. My selected tire sizing is going to be 255/35/19 front and 305/30/20 rear.

I have two options as far as I'm aware - toyo t1r, and michelin pilot super sports. there is a 400$ price difference between the two.

Part of me thinks, just get the super sports, as they'll be a bit better. I've driven Toyo t1r's on my 350z about a half decade ago though, and I put them through the ringer, including lots of wet driving and even some very minor snow duty (Seattle area), and they impressed me. This is important to me since it's a daily driver, and I like to goof off in the rain sometimes, but I know the MPSS would likely fair the same or better in those conditions.

anyone with experience with either tire feel like chiming in? which would you go with? how do t1r's hold up to the vette's power levels?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:31 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have Michelin PSS's on my C5. I only drive in temps above 50deg's and these have been superb. Excellence wet and dry traction. I have done some spirited driving, generally just normal speeds. Tires cause the car to stick like glue!
Braking performance is also excellent!
They are more expensive than others, that said I like the traction!

Good luck with your choice!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Under 40 degrees for the first ~3 miles The PSS are very slick, but once warmed up the stick very well to cold pavement.....not sure if the AS3s come in the size you want but they are good in all temps/weather
Old 12-14-2014, 03:56 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Allthrottleandsomebottle
Under 40 degrees for the first ~3 miles The PSS are very slick, but once warmed up the stick very well to cold pavement.....not sure if the AS3s come in the size you want but they are good in all temps/weather
this has also been my experience with the pss. My next set I'll purchase the AS
Old 12-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

thanks gents. your comments reflect my assumption of how great the mich. pss are. the main thing I am trying to figure out is if the t1r's are worth keeping under consideration to save 400$+, or if the mich pss are worth the premium.

it is not under 40* here often in Seattle. our winters are short, and calm, and I always have the wife's legacy if we need to go blast through some snow. I know both do superb in the rain, and that the pss are a little more firm in the corners with better dry traction. just not sure how much better is better.

Get notified of new replies

To Toyo t1r vs Mich. pilot SS - base vette, stock power.

Quick Reply: Toyo t1r vs Mich. pilot SS - base vette, stock power.