Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide...Aftermarket or paint my speedlines

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 11:54 PM
Mikiez06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help me decide...Aftermarket or paint my speedlines

Guys,
I hate my dark argent speedline wheel color against the silver body. It looks like the wheels are dirty from certain angles in the sun. I have a guy that can paint them hyper bright silver and clear them, which I really think I will like.

I have contemplated going the aftermarket route... $800 set or less, but Im also concerned about the rotational weight I will be adding and also have not found anything google images have to offer with silver Z06s and aftermarket wheels.

I have really leaned toward OE Wheels Deep Dish C6 in black with a polished lip.

Comments and opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 PM
olympic1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikiez06
Guys,
I hate my dark argent speedline wheel color against the silver body. It looks like the wheels are dirty from certain angles in the sun. I have a guy that can paint them hyper bright silver and clear them, which I really think I will like.

I have contemplated going the aftermarket route... $800 set or less, but Im also concerned about the rotational weight I will be adding and also have not found anything google images have to offer with silver Z06s and aftermarket wheels.

I have really leaned toward OE Wheels Deep Dish C6 in black with a polished lip.

Comments and opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Hi Mike,

I'm in a similar situation. An option would be to get your speedlines chromed. That runs about $600 plus you have to ship them both ways so figure in another $200 for shipping. If you are worried about rotational weight then sticking with your OEM speedlines would solve that. Polished or chromed speedlines are a bit tough to find so I would think if you did chrome them and found it wasn't the look you were after you could probably sell them without too much trouble.

The only knock I hear about paint is that it chips. I've read many choose powder coating as it supposedly doesn't cost a lot to do that and is more durable. I've not priced it out and I'm no expert...just sharing what I've found.

If you do decide to go aftermarket I do like the black with the polished lip.

Good luck and I'm sure whatever route you go they will look great.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:54 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy some light Forgestar F14's for less than $1500 delivered per set. Light, strong and cheap. Some of the best rims for the money and look pretty sick.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Mike,
I hear you regarding the argent against your silver paint - drab doesn't begin to describe it. Your concerns about aftermarket wheels are valid, and your OEM wheels are excellent quality, so unless you want a different size or style, I'd opt to refinish them (but I personally wouldn't chrome them). I've refinished two sets of Z06 wheels over the years. I had a set of Alcoas stripped and polished; they were beautiful but needed regular polishing, which became a bit of a pain over time. With the second set I had the lips machined, and the spokes painted. Turned out well, the paint held up well, and I always got compliments. A hypersilver finish would look good against your silver, and if you got the lip machined, it definitely would "pop" a bit. Sounds like you have someone who can at least paint them for you. You don't indicate whereabouts you live, but if you're looking for a business to do some custom refinishing work, Panther Wheel in Vancouver, B.C. has always gotten good reviews here on the forum. I had my machining and painting done by Wheels America in IL; I believe they are a franchise with different locations around the country. They did all right for me, although I have heard a few mixed reviews with some of their other locations. Finally, you could check with Bob at House of Wheels and see if he has any Z16 polished wheels available. I've been running a set for years and they've held up well; you can see them in my sig. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I think the hyper bright silver would look good.

Another option would be to paint them the same silver color that came on the factory Y2K style painted wheels. It had a nice metallic look to it - I liked them on my 2000 pewter coupe I had. Paint code is:

2000-2004 (Silver): WA EQ9967
Old 03-08-2015, 11:07 AM
BIGGDADDYWIGGS
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default plasti-dip those wheels

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...F47B0537C4E8EF
Old 03-08-2015, 11:34 PM
coverme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also suggest plasti dip your wheels if you just want to change its looks and color. Or replace it with aftermarket brands w/c will surely not that cheap.

Last edited by coverme; 03-09-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me decide...Aftermarket or paint my speedlines

Quick Reply: Help me decide...Aftermarket or paint my speedlines