Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Radial in back, what should i get for fronts?

Old 01-08-2015, 04:47 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Radial in back, what should i get for fronts?

Just got a set of Nitto NT05R for my rears (345 30 19). Im putting down 620 hp to the wheels currently. Right now I have the stock good years up front. 2013 GS.

Need some guidance as to what tires I should put up front? The fronts are almost gone, plus I don't want to have a run flat up front with non run flats out back.

Any suggestions for what I should get? Would it be ok to run a 285 35 18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport up front?

What would you do? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:29 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pikkashoe
Just got a set of Nitto NT05R for my rears (345 30 19). Im putting down 620 hp to the wheels currently. Right now I have the stock good years up front. 2013 GS.

Need some guidance as to what tires I should put up front? The fronts are almost gone, plus I don't want to have a run flat up front with non run flats out back.

Any suggestions for what I should get? Would it be ok to run a 285 35 18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport up front?

I'd run an NT05 (non-R) Up front or even Invos. Super Sports are great tires as well, you really can't go wrong with any of these choices.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm curious as to why you don't want to have a run flat up front with non run flats out back. I have been running Michelin ZP run flats on the front of my narrow body C6 with MT drag radials in the rear and so far I haven't seen any handling related problems.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:50 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boat Racer. I was not sure if having a run flat with stiff sidewalls and the drag radial with softer sidewalls would affect hAndling. So far so good though. No traction nannies and handles to me just as good as when I had the oem good years out back. I Don't track it so I never really reach the handling thresholds of the tires anyway.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Boat Racer. I was not sure if having a run flat with stiff sidewalls and the drag radial with softer sidewalls would affect hAndling. So far so good though. No traction nannies and handles to me just as good as when I had the oem good years out back. I Don't track it so I never really reach the handling thresholds of the tires anyway.
Although I haven't experienced any normal street driving or even 1/4 mile drag racing nanny issues (~131 mph), I have seen higher speed issues at the Mojave mile events with rear tires that have ~1/2" less diameter vs. stock. Those issues happen around 160-170 mph where one of the nannies kicks in (TC, I think) probably due to the rear tire diameter change. I run the stock size front ZP tire but I have seen these nanny issues with two different sets of non run flat rear tires which are both about 1/2" less in diameter than the stock sized rear tires. My car has the A6 automatic and unless I turn the nannies off, it will quit accelerating ~160-170 mph and won't shift from 4th gear into 5th. I'm going back to Mojave again in April and will get more info then to try and determine if it's TC that's causing the problem or AH. Either way, the problem goes away if I turn off the nannies. It's strange to me that it only happens at these higher speeds with no issues at 150 mph and below.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:32 AM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am running 305/35/19 NT05R's out back and 275/35/18 MT Street Comps up front... I am also making around 600whp. Car hooks up hard with these. and drives nice

Get notified of new replies

To Drag Radial in back, what should i get for fronts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drag Radial in back, what should i get for fronts?