Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three Piece Wheel Question - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Three Piece Wheel Question - Please Help

Odd question, can tires safely be mounted onto a three piece wheel WITHOUT the center of the wheel being in place?

I.e. the tire installed on the barrel/lip, then the center put in at a later time.

If it is OK is it best to leave the deflated?

thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

This is just conjecture on my part. You might be able to get the beads to "seat" by just pressing the rim halves in place in place, but then you might not be able to get the center in between the halves, depending on whether the center mounts between the halves, or in front of one half and behind the other. I would think it's better to wait until the rim is assembled......But I could be wrong, as I have no personal experience with a disassembled, 3 piece wheel.

Also, you might not be able to pull the halves close enough together, to assemble the wheel, if the barrels are being held apart by the tire.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:33 PM
zonsolo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on how yours go together, most likely NO. In order to 'add' the center, you'll have to take all the bolts out, and when you do, I can almost 100% guarantee you will end up with a leak.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:35 PM
zonsolo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also - the center almost never goes in between the rim halves as mentioned above.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:56 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I have CCW Classics which are 3-piece. The wheel halves have to be sealed with siliconed when bolted together or they won't hold air. There is no way to do that if they are inserted into the tires before being bolted together. If you wanted to you could possibly remove the center after a completed wheel had a tire mounted to it. But I think you'd need some big *** c-clamps around the tire holding the wheel halves together to prevent them from pulling it apart.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I got it answered - thanks guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Three Piece Wheel Question - Please Help

Quick Reply: Three Piece Wheel Question - Please Help