Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rims and tires and still highway shake/shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Randanky23
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rims and tires and still highway shake/shimmy

Hey guys I have a weird situation that I'm dealing with and don't know what my next step should be. I have a 08 C6 Base Auto with BRAND NEW MICHELIN NON RUNFLATS on my replica C6 ZR1 Replica Wheels that I got from House of Wheels. I have had these tires/wheels roadforced balanced and they're how they should be and I still have a shimmy on the highway. It's to the point where it's aggravating to even drive my car. On regular roads up to about 45 MPH it feels like I'm riding on a cloud. When I get to cruising speed on the highway here comes that aggravating steering wheel shimmy and the whole car seems to shake including my butt in the seat. I'm not sure where to turn from here. A guy at work mentioned to take the driveshaft out and have the balance checked. Anyone ever have any problems like what I'm experiencing? ANY IDEAS OR INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS FOR ALL YOU GUYS DO
Old 05-11-2015, 04:17 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Did this happen with the original tires and wheels?

Seriously doubt it would be the driveshaft. And it would be costly to try that route.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:03 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have your wheels and tires reballanced to look for out off round wheels.
do it quickly so you have better recourse w/ the seller

also check the wheel bearings... and upgrade them to SKF made in the USA bearings. Not the dealer replacements that are made in china.. trust me I raced my 2008 C5 Z51 for 3 years and went thru bearing before switching to SKF.

The other thing is a rotor has gone south
Old 07-10-2015, 09:48 PM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Title?

Originally Posted by DRUGschnorr
have your wheels and tires reballanced to look for out off round wheels.
do it quickly so you have better recourse w/ the seller

also check the wheel bearings... and upgrade them to SKF made in the USA bearings. Not the dealer replacements that are made in china.. trust me I raced my 2008 C5 Z51 for 3 years and went thru bearing before switching to SKF.

The other thing is a rotor has gone south
I have a queStion 4u. I have a C5 vert. Had the front end aligned at Delray Beach Auto Nation Chevy before I drove to Chicago in May. I drive the car for an everyday car and have for 104k. Yesterday I noticed the front tires worn bald 2 inches on the insides. MY QUESTION Why so dramatic wear in 4000 miles? For real I know as far as I'm driving it next is to Just Tires. After I get advice about and have it aligned. FOR ALIGNING IT RIGHT WHATS YOUR ADVICE? Thanks last time I went on asking about repairing my leaking vert, I read Corvette Forum for a few days and I stopped the leaking permanently for the first time in years and shops. Thanks Mule
Old 07-16-2015, 09:27 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

camber or toe is way off. my bet is toe is to far outward.

Get notified of new replies

To New rims and tires and still highway shake/shimmy

Quick Reply: New rims and tires and still highway shake/shimmy