Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with tire options

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 07:36 PM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with tire options

OK, my 99 FRC is getting close to time to put on some new front rubber.

The car has been lowered, it's running Z06 rims, and the inside of each tire shows excessive signs of wear compared to the rest of the tread. This leads me to believe the car was not properly aligned after the lowering/rims. I don't know for sure. I bought it off a guy who also bought it with these mods done.

Anyway, current rubber is 265/40-17. There does't seem to be a lot of options in that size. But, is it the best, or proper option? I don't know. Would the car benefit from something a little taller, or less wide? I don't know. What's the consensus here on fresh front rubber?

I am more concerned about a tire that will last and has decent performance. I don't need super sticky rubber. I don't drive this car that hard. I also don't haul *** at super high speeds. I save all the crazy stuff for when I'm riding my Hayabusa.

Regardless, I'm sure I will be finding a shop somewhere in the greater Phoenix area that can correctly align the car after the new fronts are installed. Can anyone also recommend a shop for an alignment where they know what needs to be done for the car to track correctly, and also provide even tire wear?

ETA a couple shots of the car as it sits now, for visual reference.

S.C.

Last edited by scottcolbath; 07-18-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:08 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Scott, you can get the Nitto 555 Extreme radial in a 275/40/17, they fit great on stock Z06 front wheels. However if your car is lowered too much in the front, you "can" get them to rub the fender lips under certain articulations..(like going up steep driveways with the wheels turned). If you are only lowered an inch or so, it will be fine. They are just a hair wider then the stock 265s. You can get those tires under $200 a tire and they last forever.

ZXALAN (from LABs)
Old 07-20-2015, 11:11 AM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Scott, you can get the Nitto 555 Extreme radial in a 275/40/17, they fit great on stock Z06 front wheels. However if your car is lowered too much in the front, you "can" get them to rub the fender lips under certain articulations..(like going up steep driveways with the wheels turned). If you are only lowered an inch or so, it will be fine. They are just a hair wider then the stock 265s. You can get those tires under $200 a tire and they last forever.

ZXALAN (from LABs)
Thanks man. I wish I knew exactly how much the car was lowered, but that's information I don't have. From looking at the pictures, it seems like it was more than an inch, but maybe less than two.

S.C.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:48 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,602 Posts

You can determine the amount lowered by looking at the original height listed on page 44 of the PDF
https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...t-Corvette.pdf
Old 07-21-2015, 04:11 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Scott, here is a cheap 265/40 for the front... Looks like a decent tire for $145 ea

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

May as well buy a full set so they'll match. The rears will be 295/35s and are $214 ea.

Very cheap for a decent tire in the odd ball sizes we have.

Last edited by ajrothm; 07-21-2015 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:50 AM
scottcolbath
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Scott, here is a cheap 265/40 for the front... Looks like a decent tire for $145 ea

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

May as well buy a full set so they'll match. The rears will be 295/35s and are $214 ea.

Very cheap for a decent tire in the odd ball sizes we have.
I was eyeballing those recently. They seem like a good option. No negative reviews on TireRack.com from the Vette owners.

S.C.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Froggys's Apprentice
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottcolbath
I was eyeballing those recently. They seem like a good option. No negative reviews on TireRack.com from the Vette owners.

S.C.
I recently bought my vette and these were the tires on the car when I bought them.

I have switched to some OEM goodyear tires, it is like driving on ICE now.

Lucky I have two sets of rims, after I burn these tires up I can not wait to put the bridgestone back on.

The hook up is great with these tires, I hope they still have them this cheap when I need a new set :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Help with tire options

Quick Reply: Help with tire options