Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effect of a repair on speed rating of a tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:44 PM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Effect of a repair on speed rating of a tire

I managed to pick up a screw during my weekend at the Texas Mile, in a brand new Pilot Super Sport, and was wondering what the effect of this on the speed rating of the tire is? I would love to hear that it's still safe to run at speed, but I suspect that is not the case. How likely is it to have a catastrophic failure by picking up a screw or nail and making a high speed pass?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Tire Rack has some good info on how a puncture repair affects high performance tires. This chart shows what the manufacturers say.

It's very important to make sure the repair is done properly using the proper patches and procedures. Where on the tire did the screw enter? Shops wil typically not repair any puncture if the hole is within one inch of the edge of the tread or no repairs at all if the hole is at the edge of the tread or on the tire sidewall.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 04-05-2016 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CECoupe (06-27-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 08:08 AM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Pace
I managed to pick up a screw during my weekend at the Texas Mile, in a brand new Pilot Super Sport, and was wondering what the effect of this on the speed rating of the tire is? I would love to hear that it's still safe to run at speed, but I suspect that is not the case.
Information obtained from the tirerack chart mentioned above.

...Therefore, most tire manufacturers have established policies that a punctured and repaired tire no longer retains its speed rating and should be treated as a non-speed rated tire driven no faster than 85 mph.
This is good to know whether on or off a track.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:12 AM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Not highly recommended...way to easy to fail.

Get notified of new replies

To Effect of a repair on speed rating of a tire

Quick Reply: Effect of a repair on speed rating of a tire