Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What ever happened to hub caps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 03:01 AM
Barchetta
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What ever happened to ...

I went to a classic car salvage yard for a small plastic part for my Corvette. I found the part. Inside on the wall displayed like works of art were really cool vintage hub caps for all makes and models of classic cars. Most of them were intricate and resembled real, full wheel from front.

I'm sure if the technology progressed they could make hubcaps that look just like BBS wheels or ZR1 wheels, etc.

Knowing how expensive wheels can be, this would allow changing the look of a car easily and inexpensively. If race tracking a car was desired the hubcaps could be removed.

So this got me thinking - Whatever happened to hubcaps and why did they fade from popularity?

The only thing I could think of is that they may fall off easily especially if you were turning corners sharply. But then again like I said if the technology advanced they would solve that issue.

Thoughts?

Second question - If a company made a lightweight, strong, steel or aluminum base wheel with changeable fronts (hubcaps) would you buy them?

Last edited by Barchetta; 05-24-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:10 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

In an effort to reduce weight, the manufacturers went to a styled alloy wheel. It serves two purposes, in that the wheel is lighter to begin with, and doesn't need the added weight of a hub cap, to make it look attractive......
Old 05-27-2016, 03:32 PM
0Ralph@StrasseWheels
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:40 PM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
In an effort to reduce weight, the manufacturers went to a styled alloy wheel. It serves two purposes, in that the wheel is lighter to begin with, and doesn't need the added weight of a hub cap, to make it look attractive......
You might be surprised. Steel wheels are often much lighter than aluminium. Steel is stronger and tends to bend, not break.

The real answer is that after the spinner hub cap phase.......... hub caps are junk.

Get notified of new replies

To What ever happened to hub caps?

Quick Reply: What ever happened to hub caps?