Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to removing sensors without removing tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 06:40 PM
boost2much
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to removing sensors without removing tires

Can you remove the pressure sensors without having to remove the tire off the rim?? Is this easy to do??
Old 03-27-2003, 12:35 AM
JTE
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 4-7, 9 & 10 Veteran

Default Re: How to removing sensors without removing tires (boost2much)

The tires must be broken down.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:04 AM
MTWallet
Drifting

Default Re: How to removing sensors without removing tires (JTE)

:iagree:
There is no way to remove them without taking the tire off.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:30 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: How to removing sensors without removing tires (JTE)

Why can't you just break the bead on just one side of the wheel, then reach in and remove the sensor? And if you first mark the tire's position to the wheel, you probably don't even need to rebalance it.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:45 PM
MTWallet
Drifting

Default Re: How to removing sensors without removing tires (wamara)

There is no way you can break the bead and push it down to get to the sensor. I was told by the Goodyear Tech that if you press down on the sidewall that far to access the sensor you will destroy the tire. I believed him and paid $9 each to dismount the tires (1/2 way) from the wheel and remove the sensors for me. They also remounted the tires and reset the beads so I could ship them. I could not believe how stiff the sidewalls were on the runflats.

[Modified by MTWallet, 6:46 PM 3/28/2003]
Old 03-31-2003, 09:32 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default Re: How to removing sensors without removing tires (wamara)

Why can't you just break the bead on just one side of the wheel, then reach in and remove the sensor? And if you first mark the tire's position to the wheel, you probably don't even need to rebalance it.
It CAN be done, I've done it. You have to be careful, and not beat on the tire, but it is possible. HOWEVER, if you can get the tire dismounted/remounted for $9, it's probably not worth the effort.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:00 AM
UtahVince
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How to removing sensors without removing tires (leadfoot4)

Yes, it can be done- even in your driveway, if you're creative.
This from a previous post:

This can be done, but it isn't the easiest thing to do, especially if the tires and wheels have been "mated" for a long time. To do this, you'll need a hydraulic bottle jack, several pieces of 2"x4" wood, and a "substantial" object that's several inches taller than the tire, when it's laying flat.
First, remove the wheel and tire, remove the valve core to deflate the tire, then lay it flat under the "substantial" object. In my case, I used the back bumper of my pick-up as the substantial object. Next, place a short piece of wood on the tire, right next to the wheel. Place the jack on the
wood, raise the jack against the "substantial" object, and this will break the bead. If you're lucky, you'll only have to do this in the area of the valve stem. If not, you'll have to make a "lap or two" around the tire.
Once you've broken the bead sufficiently, once again use the jack to press the tire away from the rim about 3 or 4 inches to the left of the valve stem, and place a short piece of wood between the tire bead and rim. Move 3 or 4 inches to the right of the valve stem, and repeat. This should give you enough room to unscrew the sensor, and wiggle it out of the tire. I'm
sure that by now most of you are LOL and think I'm nuts, but I did this myself last Sunday. I took my OE rims and tires down to the local GoodYear store, to get the tires swapped over to my new CCW rims. In the process, the "Run Flat trained technician" destroyed one of the new sensors that came with the new wheels. Of course I didn't know this until I put the wheels on,
and one of the sensors wouldn't initialize when I did the re-learn process. Since it was Sunday by then, and GY was closed, I had to fend for myself, and used one of my original sensors. I installed it myself, using this method.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:21 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Default Re: How to removing sensors without removing tires (UtahVince)

Vince, thanks for re-posting my "tech-tip" from last summer. I was looking for it, but couldn't find it. :)
Old 04-01-2003, 12:17 PM
MTWallet
Drifting

Yes, it can be done- even in your driveway, if you're creative.
This from a previous post:

This can be done, but it isn't the easiest thing to do, especially if the tires and wheels have been "mated" for a long time. To do this, you'll need a hydraulic bottle jack, several pieces of 2"x4" wood, and a "substantial" object that's several inches taller than the tire, when it's laying flat.
First, remove the wheel and tire, remove the valve core to deflate the tire, then lay it flat under the "substantial" object. In my case, I used the back bumper of my pick-up as the substantial object. Next, place a short piece of wood on the tire, right next to the wheel. Place the jack on the
wood, raise the jack against the "substantial" object, and this will break the bead. If you're lucky, you'll only have to do this in the area of the valve stem. If not, you'll have to make a "lap or two" around the tire.
Once you've broken the bead sufficiently, once again use the jack to press the tire away from the rim about 3 or 4 inches to the left of the valve stem, and place a short piece of wood between the tire bead and rim. Move 3 or 4 inches to the right of the valve stem, and repeat. This should give you enough room to unscrew the sensor, and wiggle it out of the tire. I'm
sure that by now most of you are LOL and think I'm nuts, but I did this myself last Sunday. I took my OE rims and tires down to the local GoodYear store, to get the tires swapped over to my new CCW rims. In the process, the "Run Flat trained technician" destroyed one of the new sensors that came with the new wheels. Of course I didn't know this until I put the wheels on,
and one of the sensors wouldn't initialize when I did the re-learn process. Since it was Sunday by then, and GY was closed, I had to fend for myself, and used one of my original sensors. I installed it myself, using this method.
Maybe that will work, but maybe you will only be able to count to 8 or 9 when you are done. This is very dangerous. The Goodyear place that did mine would not even reach down and take out the sensors until the tire was completely off the wheel. Also, if you want to keep your wheels from getting beat up, take it somewhere and save yourself a big headache. I can just see you dropping your wheel on the jack and scratching the heck out of it, then saying to yourself "why didn't I just take it somewhere!" Come on guys, we drive 50K cars and can't spend a few bucks to have it done right! :banghead:
Old 04-01-2003, 01:34 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Default Re: How to removing sensors without removing tires (MTWallet)

For anybody with the slightest amount of hand tool experience, this hardly qualifies as "dangerous". It's more annoying than dangerous. I spent a few years racing an oval track car, and I mounted all of my tires by hand, by myself. I still have all 10 of my fingers. Do you need to exercise some caution? Of course, but most everything in life has some element of danger, therefore I stand by my original post.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:06 PM
UtahVince
Pro

You're welcome, Lead. I did copy and scan your post- I may use your technique one day. The sensors in my 98 are over 5 years old, one day they will need replacing, and I do not want my magnesium wheels mangeled by a "GM runflat-certified Goodyear technician" (translation: high school dropout tire changing monkey).
Old 04-01-2003, 10:58 PM
MTWallet
Drifting

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: To each his own!
Old 04-02-2003, 06:09 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

"GM runflat-certified Goodyear technician" (translation: high school dropout tire changing monkey).
Vince, I thought we New Yorkers were the only guys "blessed" with them!!
:lolg: :lolg:
Old 04-07-2003, 10:33 PM
SonnyinVA
Melting Slicks

just exactly where is the danger in this??
and who is driving a 50K car?? lmao not me.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:41 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Default Re: How to removing sensors without removing tires (SonnyinVA)

Sonny, I'm guessing that MTwallet is presuming that somehow or other, you'll get your fingers caught between the tire and rim, or a tire spoon and the rim, if you're not careful or co-ordinated. I suppose that anything is possible, and maybe I'm oversimplifying this job because I've probably mounted/dismounted around 6-700 tires in my lifetime.

I know that this might sound a little sarcastic, but MT was quick to say that he thought this task was "dangerous", yet yesterday he posted a topic about someone getting killed while drag racing. Somehow, MT managed to report the incident, yet failed to mention how dangerous drag racing is, and advising us not to do it. I don't quite understand his priorities. As I previously stated, EVERYTHING has the potential to be dangerous, it's all in how you approach it. I hardly think that breaking the bead on a tire is as dangerous as racing a car, but I've done both, and advise appropriate cautions for both.

In terms of the $50K car, I have no idea...Mine was $43K, less my trade-in.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:35 PM
корвет
Burning Brakes

I bought a $39 tire changer from Harbor Tools that works well on my 1995 rims. Sensor is strapped around the rim on C4's, so I assume you'd have to remove the tire. I buy my tires from tirerack and change them myself.

It is dangerous if you are not careful.

[Modified by cOvette, 3:36 PM 4/14/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To How to removing sensors without removing tires

Quick Reply: How to removing sensors without removing tires