Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

The design philosophy on the C6 was correct, but wrong on the C7

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Funny; I don't seem to have any issues with mine on the track. Folks have to get over the FI "issues" with the Z06. FI is here to stay. Watch as more and more cars come out with it, due to emissions and FE requirements crushing the manufacturers, both here and overseas.
If you have a new Zo6, please take it to Road Atlanta in August and report back if it even makes one full session, thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:58 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
If you have a new Zo6, please take it to Road Atlanta in August and report back if it even makes one full session, thanks.
No, I have a ZR1 which I run the **** out of at Summit Point Raceway all summer long; ambients at or near 100º.

Get over your hatred for FI. It's here to stay. Full stop.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:53 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I use 1/2 tank per 30 minute session depending on the track.

Forced induction and track cars don't mix, seen it many many times at many events where they are back on the trailer broken after 2-3 sessions, the hotter the ambient is, the worse it is.
Fuel burn is the same track to track...interesting...lol.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:02 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
No, I have a ZR1 which I run the **** out of at Summit Point Raceway all summer long; ambients at or near 100º.

Hatred only grows in the presence of forced induction when the system itself presents a crutch. I've built custom forced induction for 2 decades almost...I'm the furthest from an FI hater...but the cars I've built stay cool, regardless. Granted, my freedom to build as I please are in place, while GM has many challenges I don't. If the Z06 stayed cool, the FI wouldn't be in the conversation.

BTW, if you run "the ****" out of your ZR1 at 100 degrees ambient ALL SUMMER LONG, then you better than anyone have just highlighted an extreme failure on GM's part with the Z06. People here can't run "the ****" out of their Z06 in mid 70's without overtemp warnings on multiple systems. An instructor at COTA overheated a Z06 at 75F in 3 laps.

On the FI issue as the "future" that is inevitable...I think that's possible only if there is no resistance. Fact is, we still see Porsche and Ferrari putting out very potent N/A platforms, and I can bet they will continue to...by shaving weight or using hybrid systems. GM has worked hard to develop alternative construction techniques with carbon, aluminum, etc. They clearly understand weight is a factor of the future...for that reason, I don't think N/A is facing a certain death.

In the end, no one cares what makes the power...they just want it reliable. If you label a car a track car, then make a track car..period.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:55 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp

I dont hate FI, I hate that GM built their "Flagship" car a with blower....sold it as a "Track car" and it can't run 5 laps ***** out because it starts to shut itself down.

Your ZR1 obviously is not stock or you don't run the **** out of it as you state.

Come run the "**** out of it" at NOLA or Road Atlanta in August if you want to test it.

If a FI car isnt factory built it has very little chance of survival in the deep south in summer,and thats a fact......seen it way to many times.

Even factory built cars have a very hard time in the Deep South running in summertime

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 05-26-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:58 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RC000E
Fuel burn is the same track to track...interesting...lol.
Pretty Close believe it or not, A little bit less at Barber as compared to NOLA, still have to fill up at lunch and at the end of the day in my LS6 powered Z28.

Have yet to run the Z06, but I assume the consumption will be similar.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:50 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

You might notice I put the laughing smiley behind it because it was a semi-sarcastic statement. I've done many various tracks (Road America, PittRace, Monticello, etc) but I can't say they were ever in the same car so...I've never compared directly really. I never ran my cars below a solid 1/4 of a tank, nor did I like to run full...I always did a mid day refueling, like you stated.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Red1990VT
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

I've always wondered by Corvettes that are open topped don't come with factory roll over protection. Especially since it could be a simple as keeping, perhaps reinforcing some version of the basket hoop (where the rear hatch attaches) from the coupe. Any track-able car has to have roll over protection, why make it have to be an added on kludge instead of standard from the factory. Most other high end open top cars come with this, why not the Corvette?

It can't be weight, as the added parts required for a track likely add more weight than a well designed factory included roll over protection system would. And the cost can't be that much, since the coupe already has the basic elements of a ROPS.

And it can hardly be some liability issue, or other manufacturers would avoid including ROPS, and to date, the better brands have ROPS and have for many years.

How in 2015 can Chevrolet be selling an expensive high end sports car without a Roll Over Protection System? It ought to be a standard part of every open top car made, especially the flagship Corvette.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

for both coupe & 'vert
Old 06-29-2015, 12:30 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
You are the one in a "State of Denial" about this car. Media throughout the world has heaped praise on the new C7 platform. Sorry that you just don't get it !!!!
Media gets money from Gm for Advertising. Money and how much of it dictates what the Media will say. GM is the Media's boss.

Media is smart -- They are not going to call the boss's kid ugly.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:47 AM
semperfi1946
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been reading lots of threads about engine and transmission overheating in 2 and 3LT's and lots of electronic glitches. I have waited 3 years to buy a new C-7 based upon hoping the bugs would be worked out and have just ordered a new 2016 - has the engineering team fixed a lot of these issues in the 2016???
Old 08-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by grcor
The C6 had a metal frame for the base and convertible cars and a light aluminum frame for the high performance versions (Z06, ZR1). Rule #1 for all great sports cars is that they be light and nimble and the C6 Z06 is a great example of this. Also, there were no complaints from anyone that the frames on the C6 were not strong enough or were too flexible. On the C7 you made a stiffer aluminum cast and hydro form frame for all corvette models. Why, so everyone can take the roof off and the convertible can use the same frame. But the C7 frame is heavier than the C6 aluminum frame and so the C7 Z06 and C7R are burdened with extra weight. Cylinder deactivation is the wrong technology for the C7 Z06 because of all the extra weight. Power adjustable seats with electric heaters in the Z06? Who would take a Z06 out on a freezing day with those track tires on it? Clearly everyone forgot Rule #1 on the C7.

A number of forum members have asked me to rewrite the question. I have included their input and we will use this updated version moving forward.

There is a segment of Corvette loyalists that want a track originated car. The C5 and C6 Z06’s are perfect examples. Unfortunately the C7 Z06 doesn’t follow the same design philosophy as the previous Z06’s. It’s much heavier, overheats, provides an open air experience, and has rpm limiting cylinder deactivation. You did succeed in broaden the appeal by adding an automatic transmission option, but by trying to broaden the appeal beyond the track, it is no longer the purely focused track car of previous generations. Why did you call it a Z06 and I hope you understand what we really want in a Corvette Z06?

you have some GREat points
Old 08-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

In a way, I feel like the C7 has a lot in common with the C4 — if you look at it holistically.

I think the C6 is a prettier car, and will probably be the “c3” out of the two.

Quick Reply: The design philosophy on the C6 was correct, but wrong on the C7