Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

DI impact on valves

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 10:30 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Update

Now that GM's 2 week shut-down is over, I've submitted this to Tadge as of this morning.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:39 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by vettman96
Many members of the community are seeing an excessive amount of oil and carbon deposit buildup on the intake valves after only 5,000-10,000 miles and worse with even higher mileage engines on the C7.
Can anyone add some clarity around this statement? Are there folks here on CF that are actually seeing oil coking issues with their LT1s and LT4s? If so, can you provide some links as evidence, please? Or is this more a case of being concerned with what other manufacturers are experiencing?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:54 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jvp
Can anyone add some clarity around this statement? Are there folks here on CF that are actually seeing oil coking issues with their LT1s and LT4s? If so, can you provide some links as evidence, please? Or is this more a case of being concerned with what other manufacturers are experiencing?

Thanks.
Yes there are many members that have first hand seen this issue on their C7's. If you search the C7 section for oil ingestion, oil in intake, catch can, etc you will see how much of an issue it is. I documented this issue on my C7 personally. Here is the thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-this-out.html

Ant
Old 07-18-2015, 08:03 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Yes there are many members that have first hand seen this issue on their C7's. If you search the C7 section for oil ingestion, oil in intake, catch can, etc you will see how much of an issue it is. I documented this issue on my C7 personally. Here is the thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-this-out.html

Ant
Old 08-19-2015, 04:47 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
Several other threads to possibly merge this into that are covering this in detail. Click on our user name, find more posts to view them.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:19 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Get more to remove their intake manifold and document with pictures like ant has. The more actual examples, the better. Ant's also shows you must use the proper separator for GDI engines as they won't tolerate even small amounts of ingestion where those cans were fine for port injection engines.

Quick Reply: DI impact on valves