Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Motor Trend 2015 Z06 vs. 2015 GT-R Nismo

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 04:54 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Here's some more text from Tadge re: the 2 cars and Motor Trend:
Now that's more like it.

I was critical and incredulous of Tadge's reply regarding their goals for cooling the car in the overheating question a couple of weeks back. As such, I feel it is only right to provide positive feedback, when appropriate, as well.

I for one could care less about the GT-R or what Nissan may have done to rig the test. I am never buying one. I do however care that Chevy gives me the very best Corvette they can at a "reasonable" price. As such, I am very concerned with negative feedback from pros like Randy Pobst (and fellow forum member track rats). I read the MT comparo on the train on the way home last night and was shocked. If I wanted "mid-corner oversteer", I'd keep my GS and save the $100 grand.

Tadge's reply re: the castor setting allayed some of the handling fears. I don't recall having the rear castor set in any of the alignments I've had but I can see how 2* vs. 0* could be huge. I was also glad to hear the results post recalibration were very satisfying. Best of all, I am very encouraged Corvette is making changes to recommendations and moving forward with additional performance parts. I can't ask for much more when the company sees a shortcoming and commits to addressing it. It reinforces the sense we feel that we own Corvette not just own a Corvette.

Thanks Tadge.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 03-14-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:08 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Pretty amazing that the chief engineer for a car responds to questions asked on an internet forum, not only with words, but with action. It's nice to have car that can have its suspension tuned with software upgrades to make it faster on track. Congrats to Tadge. Really appreciate it.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:29 PM
ChrisN123
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

From the YouTube comments of Carlos Lago's retest of the Z06 on the Figure-8:

Carlos Lago1 day ago

"+ziphead0412 We were at Big Willow, not Streets. And yeah, Randy was much faster (and happier) with the correct setup"

Old 03-16-2015, 11:29 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Yeah, I watched that yesterday. I must say, the behavior of the car was visibly more well behaved...even without his comments. It's just unfortunate to have to make up for lost ground but...it is what it is.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:55 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Yeah, I watched that yesterday. I must say, the behavior of the car was visibly more well behaved...even without his comments. It's just unfortunate to have to make up for lost ground but...it is what it is.
While I like the corrections the corvette team made as a result of this set back, I'm not overly concerned in the grand scheme of things. While this MT article is influential, this is but one test of certainly many more to come.

History of the C6 alone is rife with comparisons between the C6Z06, C6Z06/Z07, C6 ZR1, and the various iterations of the Nissan GT-R. So much so, that I'm not inclined to believe this particular MT comparo is the last or even the definitive comparison between the C7 Z06 and the GT-R.

As easily as we have forgotten the results of say...the 2008 C&D lightning lap (or whatever other track attack article), this article will also fade in the noise of all the other future tests and comparisons that will inevitably have the C7 Z06 facing off with a GT-R or other suitably trendy/revamped/refreshed performance car of the moment.

Last edited by Rock36; 03-17-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

You raised enough good points in your last post that, at the risk of drifting slightly off topic, I definitely wanted to respond with some concrete data.

I really can agree with what you're saying. I like the confidence that comes with saying, "our car is that good, do what you will with it".

My issue is, yet again, we're talking about a 918 which doesn't need a review to sell it. That's a limited production, very niche machine. Those buyers are likely chosen due to the fact they are documented brand loyalists, or members of very high exclusive clubs like Monticello or Ascari, etc. A negative review versus a P1, really doesn't have significant impact...especially on the brand that exists beneath it...the Porsche 991, etc. It may lose to Mclaren, but the Porsche is the ONLY validated car of the hypercar/hybrid trio with any lap validation that is documented. The Ring time is a TOTAL win for the porsche camp.
True. The 918 and other hypercars of that ilk are essentially review proof. They are indeed application cars which means one literally has to apply and then subsequently be chosen based on your financials, current and documented past stable.

I still don’t quite get why McLaren ran the Ring with the P1 then refused to release the car’s time? Can’t imagine that it lost to the 918 so what then? Only thing I can guess is that they are waiting for their archenemy Ferrari to release a time then they can spring an aha! Trouble is Ferrari is highly unlikely to run and/or release a Ring time for the LaF. Simply, they know that trick. Only way you see a Ring time for the LaF is in much the same way we got one for the Enzo. A privateer car will be run. If a LaF is eventually run and McLaren then releases their time it will look highly suspect. McLaren really needn’t have bothered at all.

Still, again, if you are this guy then you just don’t care what any review of those three cars says.

That said, the 918 did struggle to get its production run sold out. I know at least one person who was invited to a Porsche sponsored event in Long Island last year to drum up buyers. This is because the planets aligned such that an unprecedented three hypercars (918, P1 and the LaF) debuted at essentially the same time. Like the Carrera GT Porsche once again offered too many cars (918), unlike McLaren (375) and LaF (499). Porsche literally produced more 918s than the other two hypercar makers combined. Regrettably this problem of too many cars in a given space is proliferating even at the supercar level. More on that momentarily.

On the other hand, I see Z06 as fighting for market share, while also fighting for new buyers attention. For a car that is seeing increasingly higher age average buyers, losing to a GTR...frankly speaking, if it could be avoided at ALL/ANY cost, had I been in charge of that vehicle it would've been inspected and gone through without question.

When I look at the GTR, I don't see a HALO of Nissan...I see the HALO of the younger generation of enthusiasts! You want to get recognition, so that these 20 somethings are buying Corvettes in a few years, and a win here could've sent a message. Maybe the Ring is wet, maybe there is a strategic reason to downplay Ring times as being a standard that GM doesn't want to always answer to...I get that. This was the chance though....and it was a big one.
Interestingly, it seems that everyone is fighting for market share now because there are just too many cars in the segment.

When you look at a car like the Miata, the reason it has been so successful is because it has no natural enemies. What is a Miata’s competitor? The Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky briefly tilted at that windmill but now they are gone and the Miata is back to being a class of one.

When you look at the Corvette, what is its real competition to within 100 hp and $10,000 of its price? Same, though maybe a bit less so, for Porsche’s 911. That, in large part, is why those cars have been so successful. But today the supercar market has way more cars than it can reasonably support. Let’s see what we have or is imminently on the way:

Corvette Z06
Viper
Upcoming Ford GT
NSX
Nissan’s GT-R
Audi R8
Mercedes AMG GT
Porsche 911 GT3/Turbo
Ferrari 488 GTB/F12
Lamborghini Hurancan/Aventador
McLaren 650S

And that’s not even counting the other 500hp+ cars prowling the fringes (Jag XF/R, BMW M6, Mercedes 63/65 Class AMGs) of that section or the luxury GTs (Bentley GT, Aston Vanquish/Vantage/DB9) that on a cost basis can also help suck the air out of the room for both new and used cars on the itemized list.

That’s just way too many cars in that segment. The result is that the Viper got its price hammered down. Sales of Nissan’s GT-R are actually quite poor and the same goes for Audi’s R8. McLaren’s MP4 did not sell quite as well as the company would have liked and the face lifted 650S is meant to rectify that. The problem is not so much a larger demographic issue as it is that the sheer number of competitors is causing sales to splinter into too many pieces as the limited pool of sports/supercar buyers is now being presented with too many choices.

At the same time, curiously, there is no more fiercely tribal group than sports/supercar buyers. BMW buyers tend to not care for Mercedes. Lamborghini buyers all too often tend not to care for Ferraris. Porsche and Corvette owners are often one ill-timed sidelong glance away from a brawl. The Nissan seems to be hated by all sides. Just try to start a GT-R discussion on any other competing brand forum. There simply isn’t enough Nomex in the world.

Buyer age? Much as people love to make fun of the perceived age of the average Corvette buyer, all buyers in this segment are older. The average age of a Porsche 911 and Corvette buyers puts them both in their 50s. Even Nissan’s GT-R, whose buyer group is said to be 45-50, is right in that ballpark too. Simply, cars of that caliber are going to cost more than the average young person can afford.

In the last decade or so, Corvette (and Cadillac) has been delivering a level of excellence which has seen many buyers of other high end marques switch. Excellence sells and when you add in the Corvette’s well documented racing success over the past decade and you have a car whose purchase need not be explained in any defensive manner.

Ring times, like other lap times will come. See Jim Mero’s post on this Forum re same. The times I really want to see are both the Laguna time by Randy Pobst and the VIR time by Car and Driver’s team. Those will be stateside against times of cars we can essentially verify as fully U.S. legal and tested under empirical conditions that are well known and largely free of gaming.

But you mentioned market share and the GT-R being the halo for younger enthusiasts. Let me show you some sales numbers for three important time periods – calendar year 2007, which was essentially just before the recent Great Recession, 2013 and 2014 to show just how those models have rebounded.

Recently, Ian Robertson, BMW’s head of sales, said in an interview at the manufacturer’s headquarters in Munich that, “The sports-car market is roughly half of what it used to be. Post-2008, it just collapsed. I’m not so sure it’ll ever fully recover.” Looking at the simply astonishing percentage drop in sales of BMW’s Z4 I can certainly understand his pain.

Model 2007 sales 2013 sales 2014 sales

Audi R8 240 813 735
BMW Z4 10,097 2,480 2,151
Nissan GT-R 1,236 1,436
Porsche 911 12,493 10,442 10,433
Boxster 3,622 4,570 3,875
Cayman 6,027 3,383 3,417
Viper 435 591 760

Corvette 33,685 17,291 34,839

Look at the rebound consistency of Corvette sales. Do you think you would hear Harlan Charles have to utter a similar sentiment?

Motor Trend’s Angus MacKenzie has a great piece out now on how the Corvette and Porsche 911 have transcended what is accurately described as the “extreme decay cycle” common to most sports car sales. Fact is, whatever one thinks of the Corvette, the sales numbers show that the car remains the envy of the industry.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/1502_alt...g_picture.html

Case further in point, in a recent interview with Autoline Detroit, Tadge Juechter indicated that Z06 orders are currently running at a staggering 40% of production. This for what is for all intents and purposes a $100,000 sports car. With a 2015 run rate on par with 2014 this means that GM is poised to sell something on the order of 14,000 Z06’s. Take another look at sales of the comparably priced GT-R in comparison. Every Z06 buyer could have bought a GT-R, but largely didn’t. Z06 sales look to outrun sales of the GT-R 10:1. Corvette is, again, doing something very right because both Nissan and Viper would slit your throat without batting an eye for those sales numbers.

Even Porsche’s Boxster/Cayman line, which is similarly priced to the regular Stingray, show 2014 combined numbers (7,292) roughly one third of Stingray sales.

Coming from someone like Ralph Gilles, I just simply was amazed that on an opened forum he'd make such comments. I'd expect a person of his stature to be caught on hidden microphone in the john talking that kind of smack not on Viper forums like one of the boys...lol.
I was simply floored when I heard his comments. This is my unedited post from when I read it. I’ll repeat what I said then,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1582608233. See points 4 and 5. Ralph is young and I hope he learned from this never to do something like that ever again.

In the end, as a younger guy (who's getting older everyday) I've struggled to be connected with Corvette and the crowd that surrounds it. Going to the bash, to Detroit and other places...I'm like a black sheep. I see an aftermarket that is stagnant in all the ways that promote youth interest, and I've questioned GM's methods countless times. I go to the museum events and feel very uncomfortable...friends I drag with me have said, in response to MULTIPLE incidents, "no wonder young guys don't buy these cars"....BUT, after being around me and understanding the car further...they all want one. The car ISN'T the problem...it's the marketing, it's the approach, it's the way things are handled/mishandled.

It's damn easy to reach younger demographics, but I often feel like no one at GM understands them because, while they have a degree from a great college and a list of experience, they must not REALLY know the youth market. I built cars for YEARS for this crowd, and frankly I think they are some of the most predictable people out there. Corvettes have the blueprint for all the reasons that Honda's inspired such a huge scene in the 90's and early 2000's...they are modular, they are light, they respond to mods, etc. We have people putting LSx engines in Nissan 240's...essentially creating a sh*tty version of a Corvette and paying MORE to do it than if they'd bought a used Z06 because Corvette is like a disease only young guys can get, so they avoid it like the incurable plague!
Danger again of spending too much time on the young demographic is that by and large they can’t afford the car. But if the car is excellent throughout (design, technology, performance, reliability and racing prowess) then when they can afford it they will buy. Again, look at the Vette’s 2014 sales numbers compared to all other comparable cars.

I see great efforts like partnerships with Polyphony Digital, but then I try to talk to H. Charles about that and got scoffed at. I find that for marketing to be successful, you have to really believe in it, and he didn't believe in it...he didn't hardly understand what I was telling him...lol.
Not sure when you spoke to Harlan about Polyphony’s efforts but as someone who has been playing Gran Turismo since GT1 I note that GM’s cars have been well represented since then. GT6 is current chock a block full of GM’s vehicles including Corvettes which are very popular among league racers. The C7’s launch on GT6 was very well done and shows that if GM ever had doubts about PD, they now no longer do.

In the end, all I want to be able to do is stop DEFENDING Corvette. Stop CONVINCING my younger friends why I want to own one, or why it's a purer car than the GTR. I guess frustration sets in when you see a folly like this that could've been avoided, but I don't know what's at play, truly speaking...and in many ways you've added to my perspective.

All we want is the best for Corvette and its future. I feel like I'm a Saints fan from the 80's when I lived in New Orleans...we just wanted a damn win! The C7 is a win...those of us who are here KNOW that, but we've all BEEN here.
I hear you. By addressing the much maligned interior I think the C7 has finally achieved the level of excellence that now requires no defense. The harshly critical Top Gear UK had nothing but praise for the car whose reviews have also been universally positive. Awards have poured in. No defense is now required. Yes, there are a few teething problems in year one but, as earlier pointed out, who doesn’t experience those? By and large the car is spectacular. I can point you to threads on the Porsche and Ferrari forums where buyers of those cars made no secret of how impressed they were and then actually put their money where there mouths were.

One great example is legendary money manager Jim Glickenhaus. His Ferrari collection essentially includes two Enzos. One “normal” one and another he had rebodied at an estimated cost of $4.5mm to create a car he calls the P/4. Well, his daughter recently went testing Aventadors, Porsche Turbos and of course Ferraris before settling on…guess what. http://jalopnik.com/heres-why-jim-gl...-da-1672662909 His daughter wrote that excellent piece. Literally every option was available to her and the Vette was chosen. That speaks volumes about where the car stands now. No defense required and really no more up to go.

Edit: You know...I have to come back to a previous subject, because I can't shake it.

Initially I made the statement "it was intentional", and I'd like to interpret that more.

Previously,…

Good talk man...good talk.
Very interesting. Good talk indeed.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:56 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisN123
From the YouTube comments of Carlos Lago's retest of the Z06 on the Figure-8:

Carlos Lago1 day ago

"+ziphead0412 We were at Big Willow, not Streets. And yeah, Randy was much faster (and happier) with the correct setup"

Let's Drive A Chevy Corvette Z06 (Z07 pkg, auto) Around The Figure Eight - YouTube
He had to stop lapping the figure 8 because the oil temp was overheating, with the gauge in the red he said?

How is that good?
Old 03-20-2015, 12:53 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako7
The alignment issue is one thing (similar to the Viper with alignment, seat and other problems in its first test).

However, the C7Z ecu pulling power on track laps is not acceptable. The car is to be a miniumum of SAE 650hp and 650trq at 91 octane; no higher octane should be reqiured to acieve promised hp and trq.
Certified SAE power only means it makes the power under the conditions that SAE J1349 stipulates. It does not mean that the engine is required to have 650hp and tq under all possible conditions. This is why BMW turbo engines seem so underrated, they are rated to ECE power standards which are more stringent in terms of how long the engine is run and heats up.

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Not similar at all.
There has been a notable changing of facts in regards to the GenV Viper's testing at Motor Trend so let's get the story straight.
Here are the THREE separate tests in chronological order:

Test #1: GenV Viper verses ZR1: Test done at Laguna Seca, Randy Pobst driving, ZR1 is faster. After the fact, Ralph stated that the car had an alignment issue (right rear toed out). Sadly, Ralph had already gone on social media and questioned Randy's driving.

Test #2: SRT pulls the "T/A" out of nowhere and it is pitted against the ZR1, at Laguna Seca with Randy driving again. This time, the "T/A" wins by a couple of hundredths of a second. Note that the "T/A" model would not be offered for sale for almost a year after this test.

Test #3: Motor Trend's annual "Best Driver's Car" car test. SRT sends a Viper with worn out tires, bad alignment, pedals falling off, hood vents falling off. That car finished dead last (out of 11 or 12 cars, I can't remember the number). No Corvette in the competition.

Also, Motor Trend is the ONLY magazine that has reported overheating issues. We also have member experience (in particular, Lawwdogg) on track with no heat issues.
I believe the Test #2 was a retest only of the revised Viper? IIRC the ZR1 wasn't present, it's times from the previous outing were used and compared.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:47 AM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

How was this not posted yet?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._track_retest/
Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by RideZX6R
Thanks for posting this. It is a very good read.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:33 PM
glennsmooth
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I'm thinking we should get our Z06 alignments checked before going on track. Mine looks like it's ready for some off-roading. Still has that "train transport ramp" setting on the ride height, which is fine for now.. I haven't scraped my driveway yet!

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Thanks for posting this. It is a very good read.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:38 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I'm not sure why I tune in to the Ask Tadge forum. I guess I am still waiting for him to answer a question that is of interest to me.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Motor Trend 2015 Z06 vs. 2015 GT-R Nismo