Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] C7 Z06 vs C6 ZR1 at Milford

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:22 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default [ANSWERED] C7 Z06 vs C6 ZR1 at Milford

Original question is here.

racerns asked:

The GM press release stated that the new Z06 (Z07) was a full second faster than the ZR1 on the 2.9 mile Milford course. There has been debate on this forum of the configuration of the ZR1 for that lap time comparison. Was it a PDE ZR1 equipped with the Sport Cup (1) ZPs or was the comparison done with a ZR1 equipped with the new Sport Cup 2 ZPs? Also, since the Sport Cup 2s were developed on the ZR1 can you give us some idea of the lap time improvements the ZR1 saw going from the Cup 1 to the Cup 2 tires? Thanks.
Tadged answered:

For the second week in a row, the question gets heavily into the chassis development work done by Jim Mero, so he provided most of the answer:

Jim Mero adds:
First of all, the Cup2 tires were not developed on the ZR1. The only time the ZR1 had a C7 Z06 tire on it was during an early comparison test between Michelin and Pirelli competing for the Z06 factory fitment. Each manufacturer provide sample tires showcasing advanced technology to be evaluated. The winner of the “shootout” would get both the standard and track tire business. This work was done in September 2011 before we had running Z06 prototypes.

In the Summer of 2013, we finally were able to put together a running prototype with a “roughed in” chassis set up. In September of 2013, we then paired up with the Michelin development team for the first round of Cup2 tire rides. And in typical Michelin fashion they came out of the box with a stellar tire. The team was elated to learn that on this very first day of track work, the Z06 on the new Cup 2 tires beat the track record recorded by the ZR1 on Cup1 tires by 0.4 seconds. Usually it takes months of development to surpass your previous best, but it was achieved this time virtually “out of the box”.

The reference to the ZR1 was relative to the fastest lap it ever recorded during thousands of laps run on the Milford Road Course over 2.5 years (late 2010 through early 2013). Naturally we were very excited that the chassis, aero, and new tires were proving to work so well.

As the car and tires progressed over the course of the development of the Z06 that delta to the ZR1 increased to about 1.8 to 2 seconds. As the team started running full tanks of fuel, the laps at the end of the tank in the Z06/Z07 were very close to the fastest laps in the ZR1 given similar ambient and track conditions.

As the development of the Z06/Z07 progressed the question of the Cup2 tires on the ZR1 never entered our minds. We were deep into Z06/Z07 development. Working the car every waking moment that weather and conditions would allow. We did not have the time or reason to dig out a ZR1, track prep it, use up a set Cup2 tries to acquire data that really would have been of minimal use since the C7 Z06 was performing so well. Generally speaking, when we reference any performance metric, we will always use the stock set up as it was shipped from the factory at the time.
The following users liked this post:
DoctorV8 (02-08-2016)
Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the reply. This just show how you can't trust what you read in the media. I read in more than one location that Michelin used the ZR1 to develop the Cup 2 tires for the new Z06 (This may be true to some extent reading Jim's explination) and that GM did comparison testing at Milford with the ZR1 on Cup 2 tires. That one seems to be completely false. That false information was in more than 1 major publication.

Thanks jvp for setting this up.

Last edited by racerns; 03-24-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:12 AM
raj
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
Thanks for the reply. This just show how you can't trust what you read in the media. I read in more than one location that Michelin used the ZR1 to develop the Cup 2 tires for the new Z06 (This may be true to some extent reading Jim's explination) and that GM did comparison testing at Milford with the ZR1 on Cup 2 tires. That one seems to be completely false. That false information was in more than 1 major publication.

Thanks jvp for setting this up.
Sad but true. An inevitable byproduct of the wealth of (mis)information that gets "blogged" these days with absolutely no independent validation of its veracity. Repetition is indeed the mother of all indoctrination!

Be that as it may, kudos again to Jim for a detailed explanation and clarification of their lack of interest in benchmarking a ZR1 with Cup2s - makes perfect sense. What that means as far as the intrinsic difference between the two cars is, as always, open for speculation and debate.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:08 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by raj
Be that as it may, kudos again to Jim for a detailed explanation and clarification of their lack of interest in benchmarking a ZR1 with Cup2s - makes perfect sense. What that means as far as the intrinsic difference between the two cars is, as always, open for speculation and debate.
That is one of the reasons I asked the questions. Unless they really had done a lot development of the Cup 2 tires at GM on the ZR1, I was suprised to hear that they had taken the time to run laps with the new tires on the ZR1. It would not have been a wise use of their development budget. While us enthusists would be interested in the results, there really is no benift to GM in doing it.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:29 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

What would happen if they do head to head comparo with C7 z06/z07 and a ZR1 both on pilot cups 2 and zr1 ending being faster? Do you think some people would be ashamed of that? I would really like it. Before the c7 z06 came out, they used zr1 as a benchmark ALL the time! Why not now??
Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
What would happen if they do head to head comparo with C7 z06/z07 and a ZR1 both on pilot cups 2 and zr1 ending being faster?
So you have to ask the question: why do that? They could just as easily turn around and shod the C7 Z06 with real racing slicks. In both cases: the car wouldn't be as-configured from the factory.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:24 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by jvp
So you have to ask the question: why do that? They could just as easily turn around and shod the C7 Z06 with real racing slicks. In both cases: the car wouldn't be as-configured from the factory.
its all about bench marking on what you have (or your target competition, here it was the ZR1)...not configurations that will never be sold....if they did that the car would never get out of engineering and into production

I say "bravo" to the GM team for answering these direct questions...when you hear what they say and think about it from a product development perspective it is very understanding why they did or didnt do what they did.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:07 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default More Data

I received some further info from Jim, via Tadge:

Jim Mero adds:

Before we ever see the tires Michelin goes through an entire pre-screening process at their development site in Laurens, SC and they probably used a ZR1 for this. Their internal tests are conducted independent of our development process. The purpose of their pre-screening is to weed out tires that don’t perform as their analysis suggests. It is possible Pirelli went through a similar exercise as well. That could be where some of the media discussion came from.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:29 PM
raj
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Before we ever see the tires Michelin goes through an entire pre-screening process at their development site in Laurens, SC and they probably used a ZR1 for this. Their internal tests are conducted independent of our development process. The purpose of their pre-screening is to weed out tires that don’t perform as their analysis suggests.
I was wondering if this might be the case so thanks for confirming - we're getting excellent inside info that would otherwise be impossible to glean.

Needless to say then that the Cup2s likely showed a significant improvement over their predecessor on the ZR1 mule that Michelin used or they would not have allowed GM to sample it during the Z06's development. We can only speculate on how much of an improvement they yielded. Maybe it's time for an "Ask Michelin" forum!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:04 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Thanks Tadge and Jim. We need a ask Harlan and Jim section too. They are certainly providing facts that we never knew until now. Great section this is.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Excellent and detailed explanation of the process ..

Thank you both Jim Mero and tadge.

The c7 z06 starting around 80 grand and running up around 105 loaded is dam impressive.

The c6 zR1 was cool too. The new c7 Z06 just ups the game a bit and of course at a slightly more relatively affordable price.

The efforts by the corvette engineering and marketing team are impressive.

My next corvette will be a c7 z06 A8. Love the lift off roof capability and the consistent performance of the A8.

Would prefer the control capability of putting the A8 in track mode so hopefully in the future the engineers will give us that capability much the same way we select competition mode active handling by pushing a button.

I understand that as the trans adaptive A8 sees driving in a track setting it converts itself to track mode. Just would be cool as an owner we could select that option as we select competition mode active handling on our c6 s....

Awesome forum and hats off to GM to actually communicate to its enthusiast base via this forum.

The changing world we live in is almost as impressive as the c7 z06 itself.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:25 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
That is pretty much what I was thinking, that is why I was suprised when some of the reports said the GM had run the ZR1 on the same tires for comparison.

I agree there really was no reason for GM to do the comparison. Though I will say though, that the new PSS and Cup 2 tires are going to become the factory replacement tire for the ZR1. It already looks like the PS2 in ZR1 sizes is gone and I would bet the Cup 1s will follow soon.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Can we all conclude that the ZR1 would have run as fast, or possibly even faster than C7 Z06/Z07 with both wearing the cup 2's?...............
Old 03-26-2015, 08:23 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Can we all conclude that the ZR1 would have run as fast, or possibly even faster than C7 Z06/Z07 with both wearing the cup 2's?...............
HELL NO you gonna open a pendora box and **** off C7 fanboys!!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:15 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

HELL NO you gonna open a pendora box and **** off C7 fanboys!!!!
Given the fact that the ZR-1 base MSRP was 30-40K more than a C7 Z06's, I think this makes the C7 Z06 the better value even just being close.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:32 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by slickstick
Given the fact that the ZR-1 base MSRP was 30-40K more than a C7 Z06's, I think this makes the C7 Z06 the better value even just being close.
mrsp C7 Z06 EQUALLY EQUIPED to a ZR1 is the same give or takes few grands
Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

mrsp C7 Z06 EQUALLY EQUIPED to a ZR1 is the same give or takes few grands
Show your work. Remember we're talking MSRP, not deals.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:05 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

"As the car and tires progressed over the course of the development of the Z06 that delta to the ZR1 increased to about 1.8 to 2 seconds."

Do some of you think that the Cup 2 tires alone, would allow the ZR1 to be quicker than the Z06, given that large delta?

As much as I like the ZR1, that wouldn't happen--unless the ZR would be on full (soft compound) race slicks... My .02
Old 04-05-2015, 10:23 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
"As the car and tires progressed over the course of the development of the Z06 that delta to the ZR1 increased to about 1.8 to 2 seconds."

Do some of you think that the Cup 2 tires alone, would allow the ZR1 to be quicker than the Z06, given that large delta?

As much as I like the ZR1, that wouldn't happen--unless the ZR would be on full (soft compound) race slicks... My .02
While I don't think it will make it quicker, there have already been comparisons between the cup 1s and cup 2s that show that exact lap time improvement just from the tire change. This was done on tracks shorter than Milford.

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] C7 Z06 vs C6 ZR1 at Milford

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] C7 Z06 vs C6 ZR1 at Milford