Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Will Software updates ever be offered?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default [ANSWERED] Will Software updates ever be offered?

Original question is here.

Hot Rod Todd asked

As a model progresses through it's life cycle, there are often updates that improve the performance of the engine or transmission in subsequent models. In some cases these updates could be passed down to older models with little or no adjustment to the program file. Many discussions I have had with other owners on this topic indicate that most believe that the manufacturer's use this as a way to lure them to the newer model, buy the newer model year and you get the better performance.

Example: The paddle shifting speed of the 2009 6 speed auto was significantly improved over the 2008 (and better yet in 2010). All of the improvement was gained through adjustments to the transmission programming tables.

I'm not talking about safety or warranty type downloads, which I know already happen on occasion.

My Question:

Do you think there will ever be a time when performance updates will be offered on non-current models, either at a charge to the owner or for free?
Tadge answered:

Good Question. I can tell you we never, ever, withhold performance intentionally knowing that with a simple calibration change we can improve it the following year and get people to buy a new car. We always put our best work out there and then keep trying to do better. Unfortunately, sometimes it may look like we could have done better from the start, but that is just not the case. The question asked about performance specifically, but most of our re-flash field bulletins relate to customer satisfaction in non-performance areas. For example, we changed a calibration to help the way the seat memory recall worked on manual transmission vehicles last year. I can't recall ever making an engine performance change though calibration.... Driveability, yes, but not performance. Quite often software, calibration and hardware changes are bundled together in model year changes and even though the hardware changes are subtle, they can affect the backwards compatibility of the calibration changes. This is certainly true of some of the shift speed changes we made as continuous improvement on C6's. We always attempt to specify how far back the cal is compatible. Sometimes it is just for the current model year, sometimes it can be used for several previous model years.

Your question is also forward-looking. It is true that vehicles' performance, features and character are more and more software-driven every day. I do think the future will hold more upgrade capability and customization than we do now.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

At least he is open to the idea of it being a possibility
Old 03-29-2015, 03:27 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

I don't know if Tadge reads CF or not with any regularity, but I want to offer him a heartfelt thank you. You and your team have designed a beautiful car. You also have chosen to be exposed to comments here when you certainly did not have to. After hearing you on several interviews, I'm willing to bet you voluntarily went to GM brass to ask for permission to do this; you were not pressured to do so from above. As a fellow engineer, the path you chose here is not one many engineers - or people in general - would be comfortable doing. So, thank you for being so willing to talk about your baby!

The car you have designed is going to add years to my life by removing stress. After a tough week at work, an hour of Vette therapy is all I (and my wife) need...
Old 03-29-2015, 07:58 PM
wayles
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by golden2husky
I don't know if Tadge reads CF or not with any regularity, but I want to offer him a heartfelt thank you. You and your team have designed a beautiful car. You also have chosen to be exposed to comments here when you certainly did not have to. After hearing you on several interviews, I'm willing to bet you voluntarily went to GM brass to ask for permission to do this; you were not pressured to do so from above. As a fellow engineer, the path you chose here is not one many engineers - or people in general - would be comfortable doing. So, thank you for being so willing to talk about your baby!

The car you have designed is going to add years to my life by removing stress. After a tough week at work, an hour of Vette therapy is all I (and my wife) need...
I fully agree. Thanks for taking the time from your busy schedule to be involved with this forum.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe someone should have asked why the ARM was not updated in '14s to the '15s standards.

I have a feeling this would cost a ton of money for GM, so if it's performance related, they just don't do it. the dealer will charge the labor to GM which will have to pay up for thousands of cars. Imagine half of 14's that were produced (would be 18644 C7s) go to the dealers to get an update for the ARM. at 100 bucks an hour, that would cost GM nearly 2 million dollars.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:23 AM
Fastmikefree
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 11B250
Maybe someone should have asked why the ARM was not updated in '14s to the '15s standards.

I have a feeling this would cost a ton of money for GM, so if it's performance related, they just don't do it. the dealer will charge the labor to GM which will have to pay up for thousands of cars. Imagine half of 14's that were produced (would be 18644 C7s) go to the dealers to get an update for the ARM. at 100 bucks an hour, that would cost GM nearly 2 million dollars.
I believe that any available upgrade can be performed at no cost during a maintenance on the vehicle since it is no more than a file upload which takes basically no time.

Worse case, it should be proposed at cost if justified, to the car owner who can decide based on list of improvements if he wants to pay for it or just pass.

Big thanks to Tadge for taking the time to answer our questions!

Phil
Old 03-30-2015, 11:47 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd like to thank Tadge for answering my question. There is potential for GM to make some money with tune upgrades, especially when the hardware is often unchanged. Unfortunately it is often difficult to get any engineering money and time allocated to put some effort into any "old" products.

I would think with a small amount of effort it would be possible to make newer program files backward compatible to some models. Many would pay to have a quick download done during maintenance that would improve performance, anything from shift speeds to octane compatibility. As long as the upgrade is in line with the newer products, I wouldn't think there would have to be a lot of expensive dependability testing done to release enhancements that would not affect the warranty. Think of it like getting the latest maps for your navigation program.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
I'd like to thank Tadge for answering my question. There is potential for GM to make some money with tune upgrades, especially when the hardware is often unchanged. Unfortunately it is often difficult to get any engineering money and time allocated to put some effort into any "old" products.

I would think with a small amount of effort it would be possible to make newer program files backward compatible to some models. Many would pay to have a quick download done during maintenance that would improve performance, anything from shift speeds to octane compatibility. As long as the upgrade is in line with the newer products, I wouldn't think there would have to be a lot of expensive dependability testing done to release enhancements that would not affect the warranty. Think of it like getting the latest maps for your navigation program.
Big picture, I would think EPA recertification of different tunes & such would be a factor.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:57 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

In Tadge's response he talks about a change to seat settings in manual transmission cars. What has been changed and has anyone had this done by dealer? My 2014 has been in storage since October but I remember that the seat return was a real pain.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Cryokid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaineDoc
In Tadge's response he talks about a change to seat settings in manual transmission cars. What has been changed and has anyone had this done by dealer? My 2014 has been in storage since October but I remember that the seat return was a real pain.
Yes, there were several treads on this. I had it done last summer and it was really needed. I wish I could get the 2015 rev matching installed on my 2014 7 speed. With it on I tend to get a slight gear grind while up shifting.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:07 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MaineDoc
I have .....and as far as I'm concerned it works great now,still not like c6 but very automated.....I like it!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:04 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Any help about where this seat update was discussed on the forum?
Old 04-11-2015, 12:18 AM
Cryokid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search "Memory seats-I don't get it"

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] Will Software updates ever be offered?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Will Software updates ever be offered?