Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

C7 Z51 A8 transmission cooler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:09 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman1215
The 2015 Corvette Stingray with Z51 Performance Package will be used on the track and GM knows this. The owners manual includes track set-up information.

As you point out, GM has recognized there is a problem with ALL the 2015 cars automatic cooling, and GM has fixed that problem on the 2016 cars.

So why would this not be a reasonable Tadge question in support of all the 2015 Corvette Z51 buyers? Why would this single years Corvette buyers be required to spend their own money to fix a GM design problem that GM has recognized and address on the next years model?

Doesn't seem fair to me but sure I'm missing something.
This is exactly our argument. Obviously Tadge is not the problem but I am sure he can influence the decision to fix the problem. As an engineer myself, I know with any new design things can be overlooked. Not once I told our customers: ops and good luck. We have to provide an explanation and a plan of action to fix any design issues. At the end, GM decision makers are the business people, not the engineers. They should know though that this will eventually catch up on a business level either by loosing current customers, potential customers, or even replacing transmissions under warranty.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AliZ51
At the end, GM decision makers are the business people, not the engineers. They should know though that this will eventually catch up on a business level...
Precisely. The handwriting is on the wall. The facts are easily established. It would be exceptionally poor business judgment to ignore this until a legal action ensues.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Harris
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SEE7 Z51
Thank for the update. I will be voting for sure!!
I don't understand why we have to have the question selected. Seems like there are enough of us complaining that Tadge, or someone, would address the issue.
IMO they feel like they have sold us the cars have their money and we are on our own
Old 06-07-2015, 10:40 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Voting has opened
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ne-2015-a.html
Old 06-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

+1 voted for this question in the poll; G-L !
Old 06-07-2015, 08:42 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tarepas
My vote is recall time OR GM should just foot the BILL to upgrade us!!! They Knew this going into 2015 so it just seems the RIGHT THING TO DO .

100% agree. They had to know this before they released the A8. They postponed the Z06 A8 by several months so that they could resolve the issue by adding the front Tranny cooler, as well as a bigger rear Tranny cooler. They present the Z51 as a track ready vehicle, yet it readily overheats its Tranny. On the Z06 the overheating in the A8 is the engine, so it needs a bigger/more efficient aftermarket radiator ( much cheaper to install...). GM needs to retroactively fix both problems on 15 A8 Z51's and alos on any A6 14' Z51's that have been represented as Track Ready.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:59 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob

100% agree. They had to know this before they released the A8. They postponed the Z06 A8 by several months so that they could resolve the issue by adding the front Tranny cooler, as well as a bigger rear Tranny cooler. They present the Z51 as a track ready vehicle, yet it readily overheats its Tranny. On the Z06 the overheating in the A8 is the engine, so it needs a bigger/more efficient aftermarket radiator ( much cheaper to install...). GM needs to retroactively fix both problems on 15 A8 Z51's and alos on any A6 14' Z51's that have been represented as Track Ready.
I am surprised that the issue was not addressed proactively by GM when they have decided that yes, there is a problem and we need to upgraded transmission cooling system on the 2016 Z51 A8. It makes me mad for dealers to say that warranty will be voided if we add an aftermarket cooler to save the transmission. So they want us to spend 80k on C7 Z51 and not drive it for anything more than commuting or cursing while its advertised by GM as a track weapon with shift times that are faster than Porsche PDK. I heard so much about how great the PTM in automatic and how it holds the gears to red line to give you best track performance to find out we cannot run more than couple of laps in this setup!

Here is an article by car and driver stating that you can run a full tank of fuel on the track without worrying about A8 overheating.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Old 06-08-2015, 02:34 PM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I so agree with the last 3-4 replies! GM needs to do something PERIOD! Hope my post doesn't get deleted again!

I am surprised that the issue was not addressed proactively by GM when they have decided that yes, there is a problem and we need to upgraded transmission cooling system on the 2016 Z51 A8. It makes me mad for dealers to say that warranty will be voided if we add an aftermarket cooler to save the transmission. So they want us to spend 80k on C7 Z51 and not drive it for anything more than commuting or cursing while its advertised by GM as a track weapon with shift times that are faster than Porsche PDK. I heard so much about how great the PTM in automatic and how it holds the gears to red line to give you best track performance to find out we cannot run more than couple of laps in this setup!

Here is an article by car and driver stating that you can run a full tank of fuel on the track without worrying about A8 overheating.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:46 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Tadge is not my only hope but I hope he address the issues. The dealer is quite. I dont even know if GM has responded to my dealer.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:40 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

What about ppl with m7 that are having overheating issues as well?

I remmeber when bmw 335 came out (e9x), and if u ordered it without the sport package, the cars engine oil would overheat. Bmw recognized that and would offer complimentary oil coolers to ppl that were having issues. Perhaps gm would do the same with their flag car? My car is being produced this week, and i will be tracking as well... I have z51 m7.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:59 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by kotik
What about ppl with m7 that are having overheating issues as well?

I remmeber when bmw 335 came out (e9x), and if u ordered it without the sport package, the cars engine oil would overheat. Bmw recognized that and would offer complimentary oil coolers to ppl that were having issues. Perhaps gm would do the same with their flag car? My car is being produced this week, and i will be tracking as well... I have z51 m7.
M7 doesnt have the problems that A6 and A8 has. I wish I bought the M7. Love the A8 but the overheating issue is a nightmare. Regardless, if M7 overheats as some fast guys reported then GM should fix the issue as well. I can tell you the M7 is a lot more forgiving.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:17 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

M7 doesn't have the problems that A6 and A8 has. I wish I bought the M7. Love the A8 but the overheating issue is a nightmare. Regardless, if M7 overheats as some fast guys reported then GM should fix the issue as well. I can tell you the M7 is a lot more forgiving.
My M7 hits over 300F on track every event, with the gauge in the red zone every time, not even sure how hot it is because it pins the gauge. It has problems and needs a solution just like the autos do. It has a built-in cooler behind the rear quarter panel, but it is just not adequate like the coolers for the A6 and A8 are not adequate. M7's on the Z51's need a cooling upgrade as well.

Here is the gauge for my M7 transmission after a cool down lap still pinned at 150 C (300 F).

and just to add to the fun, a little later I got a CEL because the AFM valve actuators have failed. Sorry for the fuzzy picture but it was with my iPhone while driving on track on cool down lap. Notice engine coolant gauge on the lower right which is well above the middle range, having come down from much hotter while on track.

Last edited by descartesfool; 06-09-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:44 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Well, it looks like GM really missed to provide proper cooling on all Z51 performance package transmissions. I don't think its difficult for them to provide better efficient coolers for manual or automatic.

GM wanted to compete with M4. GTR, Porsche and they have succeeded in attracting new crowed to buy the Z51. They have also succeeded in attracting the track oriented crowed. Now they need to listen to this new customer category that they have gained.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:46 PM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I along with the rest just want this fixed. I did another track event this past weekend. This time both myself and wife drove the car. Just is crazy how the temps go from normal to high in a blink of an eye. I can say for the first time ever I am disappointed in my Corvette. My first Automatic and I am regretting it.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:03 PM
5thGear
Drifting

I emailed Car and Driver editor to make him aware that their article states that the 2015 C7 A8 can run a full tank on the track without overheating is a false statement. I asked him to verify the facts and revise the article so it would not mislead potential buyers as it did with me.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 PM
freeman1215
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I emailed Car and Driver editor to make him aware that their article states that the 2015 C7 A8 can run a full tank on the track without overheating is a false statement. I asked him to verify the facts and revise the article so it would not mislead potential buyers as it did with me.
Now this I a good idea! If GM is not listening to its customers, then maybe the auto magazines will! Excuse me, I have to go write some emails.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:10 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool
My M7 hits over 300F on track every event, with the gauge in the red zone every time, not even sure how hot it is because it pins the gauge. It has problems and needs a solution just like the autos do. It has a built-in cooler behind the rear quarter panel, but it is just not adequate like the coolers for the A6 and A8 are not adequate. M7's on the Z51's need a cooling upgrade as well.

Here is the gauge for my M7 transmission after a cool down lap still pinned at 150 C (300 F).

and just to add to the fun, a little later I got a CEL because the AFM valve actuators have failed. Sorry for the fuzzy picture but it was with my iPhone while driving on track on cool down lap. Notice engine coolant gauge on the lower right which is well above the middle range, having come down from much hotter while on track.

What tracks r u running?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z51 A8 transmission cooler upgrade

Old 06-10-2015, 05:39 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by kotik
What tracks r u running?
Calabogie Motorsports Park in Canada, over 3 miles long but with several 2nd gear corners. It's the only track I've run the car at since AFM valve actuators failed both times I had it there and have required a dealer visit and warranty repair. I have been running my GT-R on track instead, while hoping GM comes up with an actual solution to the overheating. If my Corvette keeps on failing every time I take it to the tack, I told service manager I cannot keep the car. I bought it specifically to do track days based on their advertising, and I find its failings are unacceptable at this point.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:03 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, but I also think it's absurd to expect GM to shoulder the costs of a cooling overhaul for an already-purchased vehicle. They've never done that. I really think folks are setting their expectations way too high here and are just going to be disappointed by whatever answer Tadge provides. I can say with some certainty that "free" won't be part of the discussion. But I'll put it up for vote again during the next cycle.
If we were talking about the new front camera or the rear hatch pull down I'd be in complete agreement with you. It would be ridiculous to think any mfg would owe previous customers improvements made year to year.

But, the thing is, we're not talking about an improvement,per se. All they are doing(and I applaud them for it) is making the car perform as it was advertised. Nothing more, nothing less. Are 2015 owners not owed the same?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:32 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by redzone
Are 2015 owners not owed the same?
If they pay up, sure. That's likely to be the gist of Tadge's response, too. It's very unlikely (I'd say about 0% likely) that GM is going to cover this expense. I'm not trying to be a downer; rather just trying to set expectations appropriately. Unrealistic expectations lead to disappointment.

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 A8 transmission cooler upgrade