Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

C7 Z51 A8 transmission cooler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:30 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts
Default C7 Z51 A8 transmission cooler upgrade

Is it possible to install the C7 Z06 A8 secondary transmission cooler on a 2015 C7 Z51 A8? If yes, what would it take to get this done? If no, what can be done to bring extra cooling capacity to The Z51 A8 transmission?

Many 2015 C7 Z51 owners are dealing with transmission overheating issues on the track even in low ambient temperatures. The dealers are not able to help or address this issue. We know now that the 2016 Z51 will come with a secondary transmission cooler but what about us (2015 Z51 A8 owners). We do need a retrofit kit and instructions for the dealers for us who purchased the 2015 Z51 package in order to run on the track or spirited canyons drives.

Thank you.

Last edited by 5thGear; 06-01-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:52 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Hey Tadge.

I just tracked my 2015 Z51 A8 in 90 degrees ambient temperature. The engine temperature stayed normal for continuous 20 min sessions but the transmission temp was getting high. We need an GM accessory to run the transmission cooler for us who go to the track. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:29 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Per this week's answer, I think GM's already planning on addressing that. From Tadge:
For example, the front-mounted supplemental trans cooler developed for the Z06 automatic will be included in the Z51 package for automatic coupes starting in the 2016 model year.
So I think folks can stop voting for this one.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:01 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
Per this week's answer, I think GM's already planning on addressing that. From Tadge:

So I think folks can stop voting for this one.
Well. It would be nice if they provide instructions and hardware to dealers for anyone like me that track the 2015 A8 and in need for the secondary transmission cooler. My Z51 is only few months old. Offering a fix on 2016 wouldn't help me but its encouraging for new buyers.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:29 PM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

That makes 2 of US!!!!

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Well. It would be nice if they provide instructions and hardware to dealers for anyone like me that track the 2015 A8 and in need for the secondary transmission cooler. My Z51 is only few months old. Offering a fix on 2016 wouldn't help me but its encouraging for new buyers.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:59 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Yesterday I tracked my car at Auto Club speedway in 65F ambient temperature. 20 min sessions. Used paddle shift and I was shifting at 5k to 6k rpm. I was running with the top guys in fast intermediate group. 15 minutes into the session my A8 transmission started acting up. Transmission temperature was at 275 or 280F. Engine oil and coolant were okay. definitely we need a solution from GM for 2015 A8 Z51 transmission cooling. I understand that current cooling is good for normal driving but GM has targeted the track guys with the C7. This is a Z51 performance package car built for performance driving. The C7 is outstanding and I love it. On the other hand the transmission cooling is not keeping up and it needs to be addressed by GM.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Tadge.
Any idea what can be done to help the guys with 2015 Z51 A8 that run their cars on the track? The dealer advise was to trade in the 2015 for 2016 since the 2016 has the upgraded transmission cooling.

See page 7 on below thread. What a nightmare!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-track-7.html
Old 05-27-2015, 10:48 PM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

Location: Never take a girl out for a cup of coffee, the last thing you want her to be is alert and focused. Tampa, FL
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Tadge.
Any idea what can be done to help the guys with 2015 Z51 A8 that run their cars on the track? The dealer advise was to trade in the 2015 for 2016 since the 2016 has the upgraded transmission cooling.

See page 7 on below thread. What a nightmare!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-track-7.html
Would love to get an answer to this
Old 05-28-2015, 02:41 PM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Yea include me in on this also. Was told trade for a 16 after I had my car built, watched it being built then doing NCM delivery. Well if the dealership is going to give me full price what I paid for my car then I will do it. But come on its something Chevrolet needs to fix for us 15 owners.

Originally Posted by C7Z51
Would love to get an answer to this
Old 05-28-2015, 02:57 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Folks -

I mean no offense when I say this but: This one isn't going to get on the poll; there's no chance we're going to spend one of our questions to Tadge with this.

The reason I'm saying this is: GM has acknowledged the problem and fixed it for the 2016s which are not out yet! Once the parts for the 2016s are available, it's possible your Chevy dealer may know how to do the install. But: they may not. Conceivably: this could be considered an aftermarket install and one you'll need to get some outside help with. I'd recommend waiting to see how that shakes out first before trying to ask this question to the VLE.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:26 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
Folks -

I mean no offense when I say this but: This one isn't going to get on the poll; there's no chance we're going to spend one of our questions to Tadge with this.

The reason I'm saying this is: GM has acknowledged the problem and fixed it for the 2016s which are not out yet! Once the parts for the 2016s are available, it's possible your Chevy dealer may know how to do the install. But: they may not. Conceivably: this could be considered an aftermarket install and one you'll need to get some outside help with. I'd recommend waiting to see how that shakes out first before trying to ask this question to the VLE.
I understand your point but its not a waste of question. Its a legit question and I hope Tadge answers to it. The labor involved is intensive so all these hard lines needs to be added after the fact. The cost is few thousand dollars for labor and parts and comes with a risk. The dealers are afraid to touch it. Correcting the problem on the 2016 doesn't help us. Honestly, this should be a recall. Buying a Z51 performance package car that cannot run more than few laps without transmission overheating in 65F ambient temperature is not acceptable. I didn't buy a Z51 to go to Starbucks. If that's the case I would have bought a base model.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:39 PM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

Location: Never take a girl out for a cup of coffee, the last thing you want her to be is alert and focused. Tampa, FL
St. Jude Donor '05

I understand your point but its not a waste of question. Its a legit question and I hope Tadge answers to it. The labor involved is intensive so all these hard lines needs to be added after the fact. The cost is few thousand dollars for labor and parts and comes with a risk. The dealers are afraid to touch it. Correcting the problem on the 2016 doesn't help us. Honestly, this should be a recall. Buying a Z51 performance package car that cannot run more than few laps without transmission overheating in 65F ambient temperature is not acceptable. I didn't buy a Z51 to go to Starbucks. If that's the case I would have bought a base model.
Neither did I
Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 PM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Don't understand how you can make that decision that, this is not a question to address with Tadge. Are you in the same situation the rest of us are in or what. This is a problem a Chevrolet needs to fix it! I didn't spend 82k for a car I am gonna have to spend 5k more on to fix a problem Chevrolet knows about an fixed on the new model year.

Originally Posted by jvp
Folks -

Old 05-29-2015, 12:52 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Jvp.
Most of us spent around 80k just few months ago on these 2015 Z51' s. GM is addressing the issue with next month production but that doesn't help us. The fact that they are fixing the issue with the 2016 production and not saying anything for 2015 owners that brought up the issue is a slap in the face. My dealer is expecting me to pay MSRP for parts (will not do the labor) which is over $1,000 and they told me that my warranty will be voided. Performance shops are asking for $2000 plus to cover labor cost and they cannot guarantee anything. All what we are asking is some instructions and some retrofit parts. Why should we pay for something that was overlooked by GM. I am willing to spend the money on GM performance parts but I am not willing to pay for something that was overlooked by GM. If you are the person that facilitates the communication between Tadge and the forum then please assist in getting us some answers.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:09 AM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The question to Tadge is not does he know the A8 overheating is a problem, because he already said they know. The question is will GMPP offer a solution for pre 2016 owners that track their cars that will hopefully be covered by warranty? I know if I burn up a trans within the warranty period they will cover it... I hope. Until then I will keep running it up to redline temps.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

I'm unaware of any time in the past that GM has made a significant mechanical change to the Corvette from one MY to the next, and they've subsequently offered that change for free to previous years. This isn't a warranty issue as far as I can tell. It would appear to me as though you're attempting to use the car outside of its operating bounds. Historically, automatic transmissions have been a challenge on the race track, specifically due to heat issues.

I think it's a good thing that GM is trying to provide a larger temperature envelope to A8 owners on the 2016+ Z51 cars. But to expect them to overhaul your car's cooling at their cost is highly unrealistic. This is, unfortunately, one of the risks of being an early adopter. It's similar to the guys that really want Apple or Android Play on their 2014 and 2015 cars, when it'll (eventually) be available on the 2016s. GM's not going to cover the cost of their HU replacement. The owners will have to pay for that themselves.

Again, I think what you guys are expecting or asking for is not realistic at all. And I really don't to waste one of our questions to Tadge on this subject because my strong suspicion is it'll go nowhere, really fast, and just serve to aggravate folks even more.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:03 PM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by jvp
I'm unaware of any time in the past that GM has made a significant mechanical change to the Corvette from one MY to the next, and they've subsequently offered that change for free to previous years. This isn't a warranty issue as far as I can tell. It would appear to me as though you're attempting to use the car outside of its operating bounds. Historically, automatic transmissions have been a challenge on the race track, specifically due to heat issues.

I think it's a good thing that GM is trying to provide a larger temperature envelope to A8 owners on the 2016+ Z51 cars. But to expect them to overhaul your car's cooling at their cost is highly unrealistic. This is, unfortunately, one of the risks of being an early adopter. It's similar to the guys that really want Apple or Android Play on their 2014 and 2015 cars, when it'll (eventually) be available on the 2016s. GM's not going to cover the cost of their HU replacement. The owners will have to pay for that themselves.

Again, I think what you guys are expecting or asking for is not realistic at all. And I really don't to waste one of our questions to Tadge on this subject because my strong suspicion is it'll go nowhere, really fast, and just serve to aggravate folks even more.
I think what we're asking for is simple. We're asking to get what we paid for. Thats it. If I want to drive a car to Starbucks, I would take my Cadillac CTS, If i wanted to tow my boat, I'll take my Hummer H2. If I want to take a car to the track, i'm supposed to be able to take my corvette which I specifically bought for THE TRACK. Because GM claims that the corvette is BUILT for the track and that it's made to last a full tank of gas on the track. They have a Z51 package for people that take their car to the track. So when your saying that we're attempting to use our cars "outside of operating bounds," your simply incorrect. What other reason would you need 460hp? Huge brakes? Magnetic Selective Ride Control with 5 TRACK modes? an owners manual that gives you steps on prepping your car for the track? Just because you don't use your car for the track doesn't mean that everyone else is using their car outside of operating bounds.

For all the reasons above and most importantly because GM basically admitted guilt and added a second transmission cooler on the 2016's, I feel like I could easily take this to court and have my car returned to GM and buy a cayman GT4. But I loved corvette's since I was a kid and 3 out of my 4 cars are made by GM. All we're asking is that they make it right for the few of us that actually use our cars for it's intended purpose instead of ignoring us.

I went to the track with a few guys with BMW's and Porsches. There were tons of cars at the track but do you know who was at the mechanics garage most of the weekend? The Corvette's, the Z51's with overheating trannys and the Z06's with overheating engines.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z51 A8 transmission cooler upgrade

Old 05-29-2015, 01:18 PM
5thGear
Drifting

I totally disagree. I am not asking the car to perform in a racing environment. I am expecting the transmission not to overheat on a spirited canyon ride or normal track day in 65F ambient temperature. GM is advertising the car as the most track ready corvette ever. They have advertised this transmission as the best performance transmission. In fact Tadge spoke about how they were using Porsche shift times as target to beat and he said that they have achieved that. So you are telling me that they built the Z51 performance package car with upgraded brakes, suspension, dry sump, wheels,....etc to cruise by the beach?! If this is the most track ready corvette as GM claims and this transmission shift faster than Porsche PDK as GM claims, then the car should be able to run few laps on the track without overheating. I was at Ron Fellow school last month and they said that tons of people are ordering the A8 and Corvette automatic transmission orders are the highest ever compared to previous generations of Corvette. The car is great, the overheating issue is a flaw that needs to be addressed. We are not complaining about consumables such brake pads or tires. Those would be a waste of question to Tadge. Again, I would not complain if I bought a base model. I have invested almost 80k for a performance package vette. I hope you push the question through.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:57 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

JVP, I think you are off base on your thinking about these people asking legit questions about valid beefs with GM. I have a Z51 manual and the manual transmission overheats on track. I bought the car to run on the track, not to go to Starbucks. I am disappointed with the car and sorry I have to do a bunch of mods to it to try and get the temps under control. My AFM actuators failed on track due to overheating. All Z51's with MRC, whether fitted with manual or automatic transmissions have a Track mode with 5 PTM modes including Race. That is not for driving on the street, that is for driving on track. They put those modes on the A8 cars as well, and people who bought them have a right to use the car as it was promoted. It did not say in the promotional literature "DO NOT BUY THIS CAR WITH AN A8 IF YOU PLAN TO USE IT ON TRACK" because it will overheat in a few laps. I think GM must offer retrofit parts for cars they have already sold so they can be used as GM promoted the car, "the most track capable Corvette ever".

For my Z51 M7 I have bought a Z06 M7 transmission cooler and qtr panel inlet ducts plus duct between inlets and cooler hoping that might fit, a Z06 inlet grille, a Z06 radiator fan, DEI wrap for the exhaust near the tranny and AFM actuators. I just took my Z51 to the track for the second time and now I got an engine check light, and a dealer appointment. Two track days, two dealer visits. That is not right. Like others here I want GM not to fix new cars they are selling in the future, but I want them to fix my car so I can run it on track for years without issues like I have been running my GT-R (7 years on track now and not a single failure or dealer visit ever).

So like these gents with the A8, I would like to get an answer about GM fixing cars that have sold so they can run without overheating on track. Porsches can run all day on track without overheating.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:49 PM
15Z06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any thought that these overheating Z51 A8's are being operated outside of the expected envelope are, IMO, absurd.

This should be a warranty issue. Plain and simple.

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 A8 transmission cooler upgrade