Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Has GM/Corvette ever considered a "track pack" RPO or limited production equivalent?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Has GM/Corvette ever considered a "track pack" RPO or limited production equivalent?

My question is to Tadge. I understand that the very "pc" answer is that future products can't be discussed, etc etc. So I will simply ask this in terms of history versus future, because that can be spoken upon. I package this as three questions, only for the sake of clarity and not to create a run-on sentence. If they could be essentially presented as one, that'd be great.

In the C5 or C6 platforms, was it ever a consideration internally within GM to utilize the resources of Pratt and Miller or Callaway (or internal GM Performance/other) to produce a limited RPO or limited production extreme performance variant to compete with the GT3RS, Superleggera, Scuderia, NISMO level cars? Was it ever in GM's interest to allow the car a production number high enough to truly "take the cake" at venues like Nurburgring, Laguna Seca or simply in media reviews/publications as we have seen with ACR/Nurburgring LFA/etc? Was the Z06X concept a part of something like this and was that car ever a real possibility?
Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Nissan has done it, Ford, Porsche, Viper, and even a Camaro. Why not a Corvette?
Old 04-30-2015, 08:58 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

The 1988 and 1989 Corvette Challenge cars come to mind as being done, as well as the 1990 R9G RPO cars, which were for World Challenge.

The Corvette Challenge cars of 1988 had their balanced engines installed on the line. In 1989, the Corvette Challenge cars had their race engines installed on a lease, by GM, but after the line. They were delivered with their BG Assy. engines.

Racing seats, fire suppression systems, magnesium wheels, and a required decal package were installed by Protofab or at Powell. That was for 1988/1989 cars. 1990 cars were more of a merchandising package, with just the specific spring rates, brake booster specific to the car, and a few other goodies. It was a pretty special era, which would be neat if it could ever happen again.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:01 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

In 2008, there were a handful of GT4-spec Corvettes built and shipped to Callaway Competition in Germany. These vehicles were built on the BG line with specific part (ZR1 driveline w/ LS3, etc.) and were EX vehicles, no VINs.

All were white coupes when new. Pretty neat time!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:36 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
In 2008, there were a handful of GT4-spec Corvettes built and shipped to Callaway Competition in Germany. These vehicles were built on the BG line with specific part (ZR1 driveline w/ LS3, etc.) and were EX vehicles, no VINs.

All were white coupes when new. Pretty neat time!
Wow...that's pretty cool. I was talking to someone about the Corvette in a box...those like 20 FRC's they sold over the GM parts counter in the C5 era....no VIN either. I just wish you could get a streetable, basically equipped but well cooled track car that was emissions equipped etc, but that was all business...lol.

Why can't they do a package like the C7 with LT1, Z06 parts shelf for body, remove that lavish interior, then farm it out to Pratt or Callaway for a couple low production aero pieces, a roll bar, etc. Makes sense to me, but I must be a lonely voice because if there were enough people screaming for it, I imagine they'd be doin it.

Gotta buy then build ourselves...lose the warranty in the process. So be it...
Old 04-30-2015, 02:52 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

One option that hasn't been discussed is to have GM soften their policy on warranty work. I'm sure this will be popular with the legal department!

But, if done, imagine that you can buy the cheaper aftermarket modification for your car and circumvent the codes and testing for the road which adds considerable cost to something done OEM (especially if done through a third party).

GM could test aftermarket products to see if it shortens the life of the car and say "we approve x, y, and z for off road use and won't void your warranty."

It would be the opposite of a black list, a... white list?

Get notified of new replies

To Has GM/Corvette ever considered a "track pack" RPO or limited production equivalent?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has GM/Corvette ever considered a "track pack" RPO or limited production equivalent?