Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

When will GM offer Individual colors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:12 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Default When will GM offer Individual colors?

Since the Viper folks are now offering this, and BMW (as well as Porsche) have offered options for individual buyer-specified colors on cars for some time... When will GM offer this for the Corvette? I feel like a car this special should have had this offered already. It also seems obvious to me that people are willing to pay for it and it would be a money-maker for GM.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:07 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by RideZX6R
Since the Viper folks are now offering this, and BMW (as well as Porsche) have offered options for individual buyer-specified colors on cars for some time... When will GM offer this for the Corvette? I feel like a car this special should have had this offered already. It also seems obvious to me that people are willing to pay for it and it would be a money-maker for GM.
The Corvette is a mass-produced car built on a heavily automated assembly line. The Viper, and even Porsches, are much more limited production cars. The problem is different.

Aside from that Porsche charges $5500 for a custom color on a 911, which I suspect already gets hand painted. For Chevy to build a full in-house custom paint shop, and amortize that cost over the relatively few cars that would get that treatment, would probably cost more. I suspect Chevy just doesn't see the market for it.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 PM
10splaya22
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
The Corvette is a mass-produced car built on a heavily automated assembly line. The Viper, and even Porsches, are much more limited production cars. The problem is different.

Aside from that Porsche charges $5500 for a custom color on a 911, which I suspect already gets hand painted. For Chevy to build a full in-house custom paint shop, and amortize that cost over the relatively few cars that would get that treatment, would probably cost more. I suspect Chevy just doesn't see the market for it.
No way, they make 20k+ 911's a year. No way they are hand painted.

I think it would be great if Chevy could have individual colors. Big markup on those cars could definitely have a great profit margin. Not sure how feasible it would be though with their current production line.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:44 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

The amount of 911s and Viper made... They don't hand paint either of them. They don't hand paint individual-order BMWs either. They (Porsche and BMW) just charge you $5k for the color you want.

I see no reason why Corvette couldn't charge a similar fee for the same thing
Old 05-23-2015, 02:47 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Are you guys sure non standard factory colors aren't hand painted? It seems like to purge the robotic system for one knock-off color would really take considerable time away from a production run. Hand painting would seem to make much more sense. But, on that subject, a minor repair later down the road (pun) would be difficult and costly as well. Corvette has some really nice colors and I have found it very convenient to walk into a paint store and get the factory number. If you want a color other than factory run, just take your new car to the paint shop of your choice.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:53 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 10splaya22
No way, they make 20k+ 911's a year. No way they are hand painted.

I think it would be great if Chevy could have individual colors. Big markup on those cars could definitely have a great profit margin. Not sure how feasible it would be though with their current production line.
I wasn't suggesting all 911s are hand painted, just the really expensive custom colors.

Get notified of new replies

To When will GM offer Individual colors?

Quick Reply: When will GM offer Individual colors?