Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ASKED] All Season Performance Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:50 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Default [ASKED] All Season Performance Tires

Would it be possible to make an all season performance tire available for the Corvette ? Certainly GM has enough pull with the tire manufacturers to get one of them to develop a runflat that would be usable all year and would have some level of performance. This would be beneficial for those that like to use their cars all year and have no track aspirations and would also eliminate the tire cracking issue that many have experienced.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:45 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Would it be possible to make an all season performance tire available for the Corvette?
Wasn't there already some mention of this from the Bash at the Museum in April?
Old 06-24-2015, 06:14 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
Wasn't there already some mention of this from the Bash at the Museum in April?
Don't know since I was not there. My thinking was that if it is a question front and center for Tadge it may get some visibility within GM. I know several people that would prefer an all season tire.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

There are all season runflats available for base cars, just have to go non-runflat if you want an all season for a Z51.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:13 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by R15LT1
There are all season runflats available for base cars, just have to go non-runflat if you want an all season for a Z51.
Yes but there would be an opportunity for some big tire company to offer a performance all season runflat tire if GM asked them to develop it. If people ask for it then GM will ask about it and it will appear as an available option.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

This is certainly a good question, but hasn't there been a lack of all-season performance runflats throughout the C6 model run ?
(except for the base model). Or, am I mistaken ?

If so, it's quite possible that GM has already made inquiries but no tire manufacturer that can qualify as an approved GM vendor
has stepped-up to the task.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

If Michelin has a run-flat version of the AS/3 it would be perfect and they could make it standard on the base model car (Z51 should still have what it does now). Even with the Z51 having the option to swap to it for the winter would also be nice. I'm using the current AS/3 now in the winter and it works great. I bought an emergency pump/sealer kit just in case, but it would be better if its a run-flat.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:27 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

This question has won the poll and will be sent to Tadge in a couple of weeks. He's out of the office at this point in time, so we'll wait till after Labor Day to send this.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:33 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
This question has won the poll and will be sent to Tadge in a couple of weeks. He's out of the office at this point in time, so we'll wait till after Labor Day to send this.
We'll see what he says. At the Bash in April the Michelin rep said one was in the works and should be out in the fall. I hope they get it done.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 PM
firebirdfan
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
This is certainly a good question, but hasn't there been a lack of all-season performance runflats throughout the C6 model run ?
(except for the base model). Or, am I mistaken ?

If so, it's quite possible that GM has already made inquiries but no tire manufacturer that can qualify as an approved GM vendor
has stepped-up to the task.
Yes there's a distinct lack of the tire your describing. Because why would you want one? There's no market for it.

An ALL-SEASON, PERFORMANCE RUNFLAT...seriously? Tires aren't magic, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Any sort of all-season gives up a TREMENDOUS amount of dry grip for a marginal performance in cold weather. These cars are serious machines and require serious tires. Putting all-seasons on the car would neuter it to the point of being a Honda Accord. It would stop/turn/brake just about as well.

Runflats are equally terrible due to the incredibly stiff sidewalls. They can be made to handle decently (see the MPSS) but they fail in comparison to a true performance tire. The run-flats on my C5 were awful. They rode exceedingly harsh, were noisy on the highway, and had very limited grip in terms of handling. I replaced them with RE-11s and they're so much better it's incredible. The car is quieter, handles properly, and rides like it should. The only thing I lost was some steering sharpness, and that was mainly due to the runflats crazy-stiff sidewalls.

The fact that the current MPSS does all that it does while being a runflat is a testament to tire technology. Add an all-season requirement to it, and you ruin the car due to the reduced performance in all aspects (except a minor increase in cold performance).
Old 08-25-2015, 11:14 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I can't argue with your logic here...good points all-around.

Sometimes we "forget" what different street-tire configurations are asked to do...
Old 08-26-2015, 07:25 AM
Kenafin
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by firebirdfan
Yes there's a distinct lack of the tire your describing. Because why would you want one? There's no market for it.

An ALL-SEASON, PERFORMANCE RUNFLAT...seriously? Tires aren't magic, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Any sort of all-season gives up a TREMENDOUS amount of dry grip for a marginal performance in cold weather. These cars are serious machines and require serious tires. Putting all-seasons on the car would neuter it to the point of being a Honda Accord. It would stop/turn/brake just about as well.

Runflats are equally terrible due to the incredibly stiff sidewalls. They can be made to handle decently (see the MPSS) but they fail in comparison to a true performance tire. The run-flats on my C5 were awful. They rode exceedingly harsh, were noisy on the highway, and had very limited grip in terms of handling. I replaced them with RE-11s and they're so much better it's incredible. The car is quieter, handles properly, and rides like it should. The only thing I lost was some steering sharpness, and that was mainly due to the runflats crazy-stiff sidewalls.

The fact that the current MPSS does all that it does while being a runflat is a testament to tire technology. Add an all-season requirement to it, and you ruin the car due to the reduced performance in all aspects (except a minor increase in cold performance).
Speak for yourself....

I'd love an all-season run flat tire for the C7 Z51...why? So I don't have to worry about the tires cracking if I dare move the car once mid-to-late fall gets here. I'm not looking for a tire to drive in snow and ice. I want a tire I can drive in winter if I so desire on a nice, clear, but chilly day.

Michelin makes a great all-season performance run flat - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Run Flat - they just don't make them in all the sizes the vettes need. I know they don't make them in C7 Z51 sizes (don't know about other C7 sizes). I know they make them in C6 Z51 sizes. We currently have them on our supercharged C6 and yes she gets great traction on the street on those tires. And no she is not neutered to the point of being a Honda...650 HP to the rear wheels and despite trying at various points we've not managed to break the wheels loose yet. Yes we were surprised to say the least. We were expecting no traction at all on those tires (tires were on before supercharger was) but they've held.

I'm not surprised the tires on your C5 were terrible...I had fbody's of that same generation...the goodyears on them were crap too and they weren't run flats. The sidewalls flexed like there was no tomorrow. I would have loved a stiffer sidewall..and I got it when the crappy goodyears were gone. The Michelin SS's on the C7 and even the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are light years ahead of those tires...I just wish they did the Pilot Sport A/S in more sizes.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenafin
Speak for yourself....

I'd love an all-season run flat tire for the C7 Z51...why? So I don't have to worry about the tires cracking if I dare move the car once mid-to-late fall gets here. I'm not looking for a tire to drive in snow and ice. I want a tire I can drive in winter if I so desire on a nice, clear, but chilly day.

Michelin makes a great all-season performance run flat - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Run Flat - they just don't make them in all the sizes the vettes need. I know they don't make them in C7 Z51 sizes (don't know about other C7 sizes). I know they make them in C6 Z51 sizes. We currently have them on our supercharged C6 and yes she gets great traction on the street on those tires. And no she is not neutered to the point of being a Honda...650 HP to the rear wheels and despite trying at various points we've not managed to break the wheels loose yet. Yes we were surprised to say the least. We were expecting no traction at all on those tires (tires were on before supercharger was) but they've held.

I'm not surprised the tires on your C5 were terrible...I had fbody's of that same generation...the goodyears on them were crap too and they weren't run flats. The sidewalls flexed like there was no tomorrow. I would have loved a stiffer sidewall..and I got it when the crappy goodyears were gone. The Michelin SS's on the C7 and even the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are light years ahead of those tires...I just wish they did the Pilot Sport A/S in more sizes.
You haven't broken the rear wheels loose??

Try this procedure:

1. Select 1st gear at any speed.
2. Apply more than 50% throttle
3. Countersteer, change underwear, select weather mode, drive home.

Also works in 2nd gear, and often 3rd.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:38 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Update

OK, this question was actually sent to Tadge as of this evening. He's still on vacation (AFAIK), but it'll be in his in-box when he returns.

Get notified of new replies

To [ASKED] All Season Performance Tires

Quick Reply: [ASKED] All Season Performance Tires