Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ASKED] Z06 @ MT's BDC

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I voted. But for a different question that is more important to me than hearing GM's excuses about why they sent a p$ss poorly prepared car for an important comparison test. And whatever answer may be given, that's all it will be, an excuse for incompetence.

Don't mean to ruffle the feathers of those who want an answer.
S.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:30 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan Viera
Wow that is horrible even slower than the Stingray they tested, what a contrast with the Z06 that ran the C&D Lightning lap.

They made a mistake with the one that they sent to Willow Springs and now this...
It seems realistic to me. The Stingray is a better track car. The front tires are not nearly as sticky as the Z's so the power streering doesn't overheat as easily. The engine doesn't need to reject as much heat, so the puny cooling system has an easier time with it. The Singray is naturally aspirated so it is simpler and least stressed = fewer faults.

Some say the Z06 is a one lap wonder. But this article shows yet another challenge to the Z as a track car. It's a wonder if it works at all.

GM should get this car working, but not for Motor Trend. Get it working for us owners who bought it to track it.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:39 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Not Good! Voted.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

I will say this is just a big painful black eye for Tadge and the GM Team. Whoever is responsible for this should be made an example of and if it is Tadge then so be it.

I for one know stories like this hurt me financially as the car depreciates faster due to market prices falling.

Would like to here the excuse though as to what drove this story.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:11 PM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

It will be a well articulated excuse (reason) from Tadge if picked. I just don't see GM apologizing for their short comings. If they are still refusing to see the car has an issue then all I can say is.. I'm sorry for all the people that bought this car.. Market will not be kind on you.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
It will be a well articulated excuse (reason) from Tadge if picked. I just don't see GM apologizing for their short comings. If they are still refusing to see the car has an issue then all I can say is.. I'm sorry for all the people that bought this car.. Market will not be kind on you.
Except jvp knows the story... I'm sure he'll talk Tadge into giving us the real story. On the bright side, Randy actually loved the car and wants to retest it!
Old 09-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default [VIDEO] Corvette Z06 Breaks During Motor Trend’s Best Driver’s Car Test

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2015/...vers-car-test/
Old 10-01-2015, 09:32 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Don't mean to ruffle the feathers of those who want an answer.
S.
Feathers officially ruffled...

I'd like to hear more excuses and bs. Chevrolet marketing drops the ball on the cars, and IMSA bends over Corvette Racing all year...it's a year full of loss for Corvette but these babies are still sellin like hotcakes...real hot...cakes.

I want to hear about a firing. Harlan should be history.

Last edited by RC000E; 10-01-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-same-car.html

GM has officially managed to one-up SRT, who sent a Viper with mismatched tires, a loose driver's seat, a brake "problem", a malfunctioning adjustable pedal motor and parts falling off of it to MT for testing two years ago. The Z06 wouldn't even successfully make it around the track. Great job!

As an owner of a C7 Z06, it's nice to see that GM takes the car's reputation and standing in the press seriously. /sarcasm
S.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:58 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Same car...gotta love it. There's a reason I'm still driving my modded C5 and bought 2 bmw's since the C7 release. These guys are f*ckin killin me...killin my spirit. When I'm ready to build a warranty-less Z51, guess I'll step up then. Z06 is dead to me...they killed my car.

No offense to current buyers, and not saying it's not still an impressive car...I just really thought this would be the best yet, and I'm sorry...I don't feel that way. In raw numbers, per the magazine (not this issue of course) one can say that, but I feel the C5Z was a more true to form execution, and carried proper standing in that market, at that time, than does the Z06 today. I know some would love to debate the point...hell, I've debated myself over it for a year and a half now. These people are failing where it counts...in the legacy, in the future demographics. I've come to have a real dislike for Tadge and Harlan unfortunately...and it's tainted my impression of the brand.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:29 PM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Originally Posted by RC000E
Same car...gotta love it. There's a reason I'm still driving my modded C5 and bought 2 bmw's since the C7 release. These guys are f*ckin killin me...killin my spirit. When I'm ready to build a warranty-less Z51, guess I'll step up then. Z06 is dead to me...they killed my car.

No offense to current buyers, and not saying it's not still an impressive car...I just really thought this would be the best yet, and I'm sorry...I don't feel that way. In raw numbers, per the magazine (not this issue of course) one can say that, but I feel the C5Z was a more true to form execution, and carried proper standing in that market, at that time, than does the Z06 today. I know some would love to debate the point...hell, I've debated myself over it for a year and a half now. These people are failing where it counts...in the legacy, in the future demographics. I've come to have a real dislike for Tadge and Harlan unfortunately...and it's tainted my impression of the brand.
I see your frustration and I've been there and have moved on to a different platform. That said, I sincerely think the Vette guys over at GM are a dedicated set of souls that love this car would do anything to make it better for all of us. It's a matter of time they'll be back.

I still remember falling in love with a yellow C5Z back in the day and the FRC design is the best IMO. However I ended with a C6Z and it served me extremely well. Before you know the teething issues will be behind us and the C7Z's glory will prevail.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Ivan Viera
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

They should have also sent the A8, so much promo was given that the A8 was quicker than a PDK and in every comparison only the M7 is tested, so far no lap time have been posted of the A8 with the exception of Road Atlanta.

Cadillac sent both ATS-V trannies to LS and the A8 was quicker at the drag race and in the track.

Last edited by Ivan Viera; 10-04-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:36 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

GM will come out with a new calibration, at extra cost of course. Available next year.

As for the Stingray Z51 edition, it overheats as well, M7 tranny temps at 300 F +, Engine Overheating - Idle Engine warnings, so the pain is not restricted to the Z06. Never overheated the power steering though, so that is a bonus.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:41 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

I see your frustration and I've been there and have moved on to a different platform. That said, I sincerely think the Vette guys over at GM are a dedicated set of souls that love this car would do anything to make it better for all of us. It's a matter of time they'll be back.

I still remember falling in love with a yellow C5Z back in the day and the FRC design is the best IMO. However I ended with a C6Z and it served me extremely well. Before you know the teething issues will be behind us and the C7Z's glory will prevail.
It's not so much about moving...I don't buy cars to drive them in stock form. I shop for "canvases" to paint on, so to speak. The nature of building japanese for so long. With those, you don't buy to drive...you buy to modify...something I can tell you likely understand.

The C7Z was the first NEW car I really considered buying. The numbers added up, my C5Z was well modified and I'd owned it for 3.5 years...a record for me. I waited through the C7 release and temptation to get a Z51, hoping the Z06 would be the mother load. What I find is that I am really left wanting.

In terms of "other platforms"...ehhh...Corvette is still offering the best canvas for the money...in the Z51 that is. I think the best opportunity given by GM is the ability to buy a Z51 and pick through the Z06 parts bin, combined with the aftermarket and build something truly awesome. In that idea...I'm committed...that's my next move 100%. My frustration comes from the exploitation of the Z06 RPO...something I've really come to love. For me though, the Z06 died in 2013. This car is a ZR1/CTS-V sharing platform..the essence of Z06 has been lost.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:54 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool
GM will come out with a new calibration, at extra cost of course. Available next year.

As for the Stingray Z51 edition, it overheats as well, M7 tranny temps at 300 F +, Engine Overheating - Idle Engine warnings, so the pain is not restricted to the Z06. Never overheated the power steering though, so that is a bonus.
Claude, try the Ron Davis Radiator. It will help a little. Your oil should stay at 280F or so on a warm day. Also try a larger rear transmission cooler and see if this helps. It should. Unfortunately this will cost you few thousands. You need to fix these things in order to run on the track. I don't think there will be a solution from the factory. Yesterday I was at the track. Ambient was 89F. Couple Z06, Z51, and Camaro Z28 all had overheating issues. I have completed every session at similar pace and lap times without overheating (oil did get to 280F at end of the session, water235).

Last edited by 5thGear; 10-04-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:11 PM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Originally Posted by RC000E
It's not so much about moving...I don't buy cars to drive them in stock form. I shop for "canvases" to paint on, so to speak. The nature of building japanese for so long. With those, you don't buy to drive...you buy to modify...something I can tell you likely understand.

The C7Z was the first NEW car I really considered buying. The numbers added up, my C5Z was well modified and I'd owned it for 3.5 years...a record for me. I waited through the C7 release and temptation to get a Z51, hoping the Z06 would be the mother load. What I find is that I am really left wanting.

In terms of "other platforms"...ehhh...Corvette is still offering the best canvas for the money...in the Z51 that is. I think the best opportunity given by GM is the ability to buy a Z51 and pick through the Z06 parts bin, combined with the aftermarket and build something truly awesome. In that idea...I'm committed...that's my next move 100%. My frustration comes from the exploitation of the Z06 RPO...something I've really come to love. For me though, the Z06 died in 2013. This car is a ZR1/CTS-V sharing platform..the essence of Z06 has been lost.
Agree with you on the C7Z loosing the core idea of the Z06 line up. From GM's stand point they took the 'let me make everyone happy' with this model as opposed to the multi model line up they had before (base, GS, Z06 and ZR1). To be honest I don't blame them as this car was given birth during some tough financial climate.

Said that, I think they should've given this car another name and not use Z06. Possibly resurrect another name from the past. Oh well... Let see what Tadge has to offer... Generally how long does he take to respond?
Old 10-09-2015, 06:29 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Agree with you on the C7Z loosing the core idea of the Z06 line up. From GM's stand point they took the 'let me make everyone happy' with this model as opposed to the multi model line up they had before (base, GS, Z06 and ZR1). To be honest I don't blame them as this car was given birth during some tough financial climate.

Said that, I think they should've given this car another name and not use Z06. Possibly resurrect another name from the past. Oh well... Let see what Tadge has to offer... Generally how long does he take to respond?
All troof in there...

Tadge and company are going through the channels I assume...strategizing how to answer this correctly since this is the internet, and the internet is in ink. This is where the team gathers and says, "how do we spin this fellas, let's put our heads together here". Answers have no real return timeline.

This entire "ask Tadge" is surprising that it even exists, and I'm sure Tadge is quite over it already. I'd love to ask him real content, but all this is dictated by votes, on behalf of people who really don't represent my interests at all...so my questions will never be answered.

In the end, whatever Tadge answers really doesn't matter. This is a huge corporate machine, and Tadge is merely the guy lining up to take the flak. Who the hell knows who is in charge. This is big corp not managing their ****, nothing new for GM really.

This is the C4 generation all over again, just spun a different way. For C5 and C6, at least the real sports car enthusiast had a Corvette he could buy.

Get notified of new replies

To [ASKED] Z06 @ MT's BDC

Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

No response yet ?
Old 10-13-2015, 11:34 PM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After hearing one response(and excuse) from a member of corvette development team, im curious to know what Tadge says and see if it coincides with what I (and many others) had heard.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:31 PM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Going to the plant tour Friday, maybe I can get the real scoop?
Mike

Quick Reply: [ASKED] Z06 @ MT's BDC