Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Added cooler on 2016 Z51 A8 - Air Flow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 06:55 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default [ANSWERED] Added cooler on 2016 Z51 A8 - Air Flow?

Original question is here.

BrittHealey asked:
The added cooler lies parallel and very close to the bottom cover that would seem to minimize air flow and reduce its effectiveness. Please comment.
Tadge answered:
Good question BrittHealey.

Intuitively, it would seem that panel under the horizontal cooler blocks the exiting flow, thus reducing its effectiveness. We thought the same thing. And we wanted to maximize the cooler's effectiveness. We were also worried that dumping more air under the car would hurt front down force. So we tested it both ways. Tests with the bottom panel opened up didn't help cooling and resulted in lost down force. The reason it works that way is that hot airflow exiting the transmission cooler has enough open perimeter area above the bottom panel to keep from losing cooling effectiveness. That airflow exits from the spaces aft of the cooler and is reintroduced with underbody airflow without adding front lift.

If you look at the undersides of high performance cars, you will see that a lot of engineering work has been done to balance the aerodynamic priority of a smooth, closed-out underbody with the necessity of exiting cooling air from a variety of heat exchangers.

Last edited by jvp; 10-30-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:59 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I love it when Tadge speaks about cooling and downforce! Developing more cooling for the A8 guys is a great move from GM, and from what I can tell, the second auto cooler has been executed great. Thank you Tadge and please don't stop here.

Great direction from the new GM on this issue, let's see some engine cooling solutions. At least bring the Corvette engine cooling on par with 2016 V8 Camaro and Caddilac systems.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:19 AM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Original question is here.
Thanks JVP for making this happen. I hope Tadge will continue to take the time to answer questions on this forum. I was interested because the Z06 A8 has the same trans cooler up front and I often found it hard to believe the panel was not restricting airflow. Very helpful discussion!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Does anyone understand the path of the air going into the cooler?

I assume the air will pass parallel to the cooler straight into the radiator. If so, how would the air go through the cooler?

Will the space above the cooler build some pressure the pushes air through the cooler?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:46 PM
SEE7 Z51
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Does anyone understand the path of the air going into the cooler?

I assume the air will pass parallel to the cooler straight into the radiator. If so, how would the air go through the cooler?

Will the space above the cooler build some pressure the pushes air through the cooler?
Good questions!

Anybody track one yet? Anybody hear about solutions for the 2015 Z51 A8 from GM yet?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:48 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by SEE7 Z51
Good questions!

Anybody track one yet? Anybody hear about solutions for the 2015 Z51 A8 from GM yet?
Yep. I spoke with GM rep two weeks ago. Bottom line the kit will be released in Dec or January and will be available for purchase through GM performance parts.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:27 AM
SEE7 Z51
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Yep. I spoke with GM rep two weeks ago. Bottom line the kit will be released in Dec or January and will be available for purchase through GM performance parts.
For purchase? WTF is wrong with these people???

Thanks for the heads up AliZ51.

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] Added cooler on 2016 Z51 A8 - Air Flow?

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Added cooler on 2016 Z51 A8 - Air Flow?