Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED]Automatic Transmission Paddle Shift reaction time

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 09:15 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks Tadge for the information and all your replies through the year.
Love our Z06 and the A8. The car has been flawless and is the best car to drive I've ever owned.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

JoeDillard
Old 12-24-2015, 12:57 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

The more you drive the car the better the performance gets!!!! what more could we ask for!!!! For you guys that are "afraid" to put to much mileage on the car you are missing out
Old 12-25-2015, 10:13 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
Better yet ... when you have the Selector in Manual Shift Mode ... the car should be always calculating and ready to shift -- in other words the shift algorithm should always be running .. not just run when the Paddle is pressed. And why does the automatic have to be so smart ?? Putting the transmission on Manual Mode should actually DUMB things down to closer replicate the M7 experience.
the last question of the post was pretty clearly explained. Dumbing down the automatic when it is put into Manual mode, allowing the driver to determine everything that happens, will lead to disaster in most cases. The computer prevents people from proving that they do not have the intelligence to always make the correct choice. For example...do you think it is impossible that anyone might try to shift their auto from 5th to 4th at 5500 rpm? Of course that is possible, as are the possibility of choosing a lower gear and stabbing the gas too quickly in the rain. The computer usually prevents these things from happening, thereby protecting both vehicle and occupants. If you want to challenge the dumbness of humans, buy a manual tranny car with 550+ horsepower, and pretend that you are Enzo Ferrari...you will find out pretty quickly that you are NOT.

At least, that is what I got from his explanation.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:42 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

I thought that was the entire point of having a Manual Mode on the automatic ... so I can tell the babysitter to go home .. I want to be able to upshift and downshift at will just like if it was a manual transmission. I can understand the computer preventing a downshift that would break something .. but other than that stay out of my way.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:19 AM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

excellent explanation! Thanks to Tadge and all on the forum who made this section possible and I hope it continues in 2016. Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:48 PM
SpudMuffin
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
This is a good explanation by Tadge, but it raises a couple questions:

1. Does the Porsche DCT do the same types of calculations to avoid upsetting the dynamics of the car before shifting, or does it "blindly" downshift (As Tadge said that the Corvette does not do)? If the Porsche DOES do these kinds of calculations, how does it do so faster?

2. Since it is performing a series of calculations and this contributes to shift time, would it not make sense to use a more powerful CPU that would perform the calculations quicker, and remove the computing time from the equation? I'm sure owners would be willing to increase the price of the A8 by $20 in order to accommodate a faster CPU.
A DCT has an inherent advantage over a single clutch automated transmission or an automatic. Because the odd and even gears are on two different shafts, the transmission can "queue up" the next gear it thinks you are going to use. So, if you are accelerating and in second gear, third gear is ready to go when you shift up. The transmission simply changes the odd gear shaft to be the driveline output. The DCT computer will almost always be ahead of you. (For example, if you are accelerating in third gear then brake hard, it will know you are decelerating and ready second gear for next shift.)
Old 12-30-2015, 08:36 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

A logical follow-on question to Tadge would be: given the expectation of continuous improvement in this area, can we expect firmware upgrades to be forthcoming to address the delay?

I have always said hardware was not the issue - good to hear it confirmed.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:55 AM
Bischof
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks Tadge and jvp for this series of articles and the time you take to provide them.

Wishing a healthy and prosperous 1016 for you all and your families!
Old 05-21-2016, 05:29 AM
7.0ltrpower
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

.... a more rapid down shift would attract me. Own 7M now and luv it.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:09 AM
JetEngineJoel
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
A logical follow-on question to Tadge would be: given the expectation of continuous improvement in this area, can we expect firmware upgrades to be forthcoming to address the delay?

I have always said hardware was not the issue - good to hear it confirmed.

Just catching up on Tadge's response to this and would love to know where the firmware upgrades are? While Tadge's response was good, it was also incomplete. This paddle response delay definitely seems to be software logic driven. The unanswered question is "why the manual paddle shift is delayed when the A8 automatic shift (assuming it's running relatively similar logic) doesn't experience the same lag?"

A follow on question to this may be "what are the hardware and software differences in the ZL1's A10 that help it avoid the C7's A8's paddle shift response delay?"

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED]Automatic Transmission Paddle Shift reaction time