Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Z51 a Corvette model or just a option package?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:50 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Default Z51 a Corvette model or just a option package?

I've seen many threads recently in the C7 section with the discussion "Is the Z51 option its own performance model?" For example, is it considered a performance track model a step above the base car but below the Z06 model, or is it just an option like the 3LT interior as some have suggested- and in the end a base Corvette? It would be nice to get the official Chevrolet/Corvette teams ruling on this never ending discussion.

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 12-28-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:51 AM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

e diff, drysump, trans and diff coolers, bigger brakes/wheels and tires and stiffer suspension....pretty much a different model.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:08 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Seriously? We want to waste an entire Ask Tadge exchange on a question this trivial?
Old 01-05-2016, 04:26 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by mustclime
e diff, drysump, trans and diff coolers, bigger brakes/wheels and tires and stiffer suspension....pretty much a different model.
By that standard I guess we should call 1LT, 2LT and 3LT a model also

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Seriously? We want to waste an entire Ask Tadge exchange on a question this trivial?
So they can call their Blue Z51 with Kalahari interior with chrome wheels and hood stripes "rare", collectible and 1 of 31....yes.

Last edited by RC000E; 01-05-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:14 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

When I add Z51 sway bars to mine can I call it a Z26 (rounding up)? Will that make it a new model?

Edit: Just in case someone didn't understand: [/sarcasm]

Last edited by meyerweb; 01-06-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:31 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It's just a base car. Is this really that important to anyone besides bored guys driving automatics to a car show debating on their lawn chair with their plaque about their !!!!Z51!!!! is 1 of 10 built on a Tuesday (that happened to have a gibbous moon phase), neon pink paint, purple stripes, and a lime green interior?

When I go to "Build and price" on the GM website, I have to start with a BASE car to option the z51 trinkets just like the interior trim, battery protection, and other things that don't really equate to being super special.

Conversely when I want to build a Z06, I start with a Z06.

http://www.chevrolet.com/build-your-own-chevrolet.html#

Last edited by 64drvr; 01-06-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:04 AM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mustclime
I agree! It should be badged as a Z51 car, most Z51 owners are already doing that anyway. When a car dealer is selling the Z51 Corvette, they always mention 2009 Z51 Corvette for sale.
It's a car that I would say is between a base and a GS. My 2cents
It would make for a great marketing tool. And I say they could really give it more of the old GS options to it and Walla there's the GS that everyone is asking for oh my mom bought a 2013 chevy cruze and for the life of me, I still can't figure out why it is badged inside and out RS "Rally Sport"
Her cruze RS doesn't have a 1/4 the options the Z51 has? So can't blame anyone but GM for any of the confusion that is out there, they been doing this since the late 70's So if they can call my mom's cruze a RS. The Z51 really deserves it's own badge, but doesn"t get one?

Last edited by yellowmnm; 01-29-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:13 PM
1776DAVE
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

This question has been answered in several ways that Z51 is a model but many don't agree so they get real ugly and insistent that it is not and I would bet that the naysayers are z06 or base owner with LT 3 option package
I only would like a for real c7 Z51 badges for my z51
Old 01-30-2016, 09:19 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I think we just need a new term for a car with a unique set of options that is better than base but not up to the standard of a different model. I vote for Exemplar as in, I have the Z51 Exemplar which makes it far better than your car.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:00 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
It's a stupid question with an obvious answer but maybe if we ask it, nobody will ask this question ever again. A bot will auto-reply Tadge's response and lock all threads with this subject.

PS - It's an option package (2xZ51 owner).
Old 02-17-2016, 11:03 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

He really already answered it in this one, incidentally:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-or-other.html

Tadge answered:
I see the reference to both Stingray and Z06, so I will address both starting with the Stingray: We do all of our track validation with the front plate removed and I am not aware of a case of overheating when a Z51 car is properly prepared. The article referenced talks about cooling issues on the street when driven aggressively in hot temperatures with the front plate installed. I see in the picture of the Edmunds long term test, the car has a front plate in what we call the "show" position and so when driven very aggressively had insufficient cooling. As discussed in the owner's manual, this panel is "to be removed when driving aggressively or in hot weather". All cars shipped to states that require front plates also have a plate frame that mounts higher on the bumper and does not block as much of the cooling flow. Because states have varying height-to-ground requirements the plate holder sits high on the front bumper to accommodate those laws. While fully legal and beneficial for cooling performance, it doesn't look very good and many customers have asked for a more integrated solution, hence the optional "show" position centered on the grille. Although intended as a "show" position, for 99% of street usage the cooling performance is fine. Some may be quick to point out that other cars seem to be able to have low front plates and robust cooling (fourth and fifth generation Corvettes, for example), but those are "bottom breathers" with major compromises to down force performance. Although there are very few complaints from Z51 customers on cooling issues, we are looking at taking some of the learnings and hardware from the Z06 and making them available on the Stingray. For example, the front-mounted supplemental trans cooler developed for the Z06 automatic will be included in the Z51 package for automatic coupes starting in the 2016 model year.

We have discussed the Z06 cooling robustness in this space before and are very concerned about what some customers are experiencing. We have built over 8,000 Z06's so far with the vast majority of them having no cooling issues. We are working to gather data from customers (some of whom may have posted here) who have concerns and are in the process of sorting through that. We have found a few build issues, a few prep issues, and some vehicle mods that have hurt cooling performance. An example of a build issue would be an improper bleed of the intercooler circuit. Even a small air bubble can impact performance. As I indicated in in my last "Ask Tadge" answer, we design for 30 degrees centigrade and have for decades without customer dissatisfaction. We may have to move our target upwards since customers appear to want to run their cars very hard at elevated temperatures.

The question asks about what kind of cooling upgrade could be made available through GM performance parts. I can tell you we are looking at a variety of robustness improvements that could take many forms. It could be in calibration (and for followers of these threads, we haven't forgotten about the "rough track" chassis calibration talked about a few weeks back), cooling system or specification changes, or even super charger hardware tweaks. It will take us a while to work through what makes the most sense and to do the validation, but we will make every effort to make sure that the changes are backwards-compatible to vehicles already produced. In the meantime, we sincerely appreciate the customers we've contacted openness and willingness to work with us on continuous improvement.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:31 AM
let er eat
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

It's the cheapos who didn't want to spend coin on a Z06 or zr1 so they need some reason to put a "z" badge on their car to make them feel better about their purchase...it's a RPO not a model. Get over it...waxers
Old 02-18-2016, 11:04 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by let er eat
It's the cheapos who didn't want to spend coin on a Z06 or zr1 so they need some reason to put a "z" badge on their car to make them feel better about their purchase...it's a RPO not a model. Get over it...waxers
All mouth..lmfao.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:10 AM
let er eat
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
All mouth..lmfao.
hey im from jersey
Old 02-18-2016, 11:19 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default Closed

Closed per OP.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 a Corvette model or just a option package?

Quick Reply: Z51 a Corvette model or just a option package?