Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Why not a C7.R performance package similiar to the ACR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:55 PM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Bwright, would you happen to know how well the Mosler MT900 sold? It's probably the closest there has ever been to a mid-engine, ultra high performance Corvette (...it even had four round tail lights). It had a successful racing career and there are still posts from time to time speaking fondly of it on Ferrarichat.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:29 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwright
I believe you have already had some of your posts deleted. I know that you are currently being watched by not one but two mods. In my experience, that level of scrutiny usually does not end well.

Nah, I've been in that position before when someone didn't like what I had to say. So, don't hold your breath.

Ah, the last refuge of the desperate. If you insist on a piece of data you know full well you are unlikely to get then the underlying premise must not be true. The rationale of someone who thinks like a small child. Using that logic, if I can’t tell you exactly who shot Kennedy that must mean a) He didn't get shot and b) Isn’t actually dead.

Ah, the last refuge of the passive/aggressive. The thinly veiled insult.
However, your analogy is out in left field, brother. It means that no matter how many politico rags you've written for, or how many super pacs you manage, or whether you knew Lyndon Johnson, or even played golf with Earl Warren, if you don't know who shot Kennedy, then you don't know jack about who shot Kennedy (pun intended). So don't say you do, that's all.
When you become FCA's CEO I will be happy to entertain your idle speculation that the car apparently does not actually lose money. But until such time I suggest you have several seats.

Be a sport and let me know which rock you will crawl under next. Happy to upend it off you again.
I didn't speculate any such. So if I give you credit for being even 10% as smart as you seem to think you are, I know you didn't really interpret it that way. Another passive aggressive trait: misquoting, misrepresenting, mischaracterizing. Let me know when you need helped off your high horse again. Here's another contradiction from the "you peasants just don't understand" camp...You want us to even bother to read what the head honcho of the miserable failure that is the Viper (thanks to the ACR) has to say??? He is undoubtedly bound by the same rules as Tadge being as he is a CEO and not a Sole Proprietor. So be a sport and try not to be so condescending in the future, mate.
By the way, pronouncing yourself "victorious" hardly makes it so. "ooooh, I schooled you, let me know when you want to be schooled again" Nah, that's not childish.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:07 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

No contradiction at all. The reason I point out the Z/28 is to illustrate the point that every now and then even experienced car companies tilt at that windmill and produce a slightly “out there” car only to be reminded that they shouldn’t have because the talkers are often not buyers.
Who in the wide world of sports told GM that they would buy a track focused Camaro, and who were the dim wits who listened to that shinola? Hey, build us a track car based on a car no one takes to the track, make sure it costs twice as much as the base car, and of course make certain its much more expensive but not really any faster than the base model of your flagship car, which many people do take to the track, and we will stand in line for that corn-holing. Oh and by all means, build it in the last year and a half of the design run, that will really stir some interest. Was the focus group from the Fbody forums, or was it LS-1.com? I'm sure you dated the second cousin of someone who knew the secretary of the Z/28's manager in charge of focus group stuff, and should know the answer to that. If not, just spend all day tomorrow researching it so you can regurgitate your esoteric findings. :smug:
Old 01-30-2016, 08:58 AM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamingZ06
Who in the wide world of sports told GM that they would buy a track focused Camaro, and who were the dim wits who listened to that shinola? Hey, build us a track car based on a car no one takes to the track, make sure it costs twice as much as the base car, and of course make certain its much more expensive but not really any faster than the base model of your flagship car, which many people do take to the track, and we will stand in line for that corn-holing. Oh and by all means, build it in the last year and a half of the design run, that will really stir some interest. Was the focus group from the Fbody forums, or was it LS-1.com? I'm sure you dated the second cousin of someone who knew the secretary of the Z/28's manager in charge of focus group stuff, and should know the answer to that. If not, just spend all day tomorrow researching it so you can regurgitate your esoteric findings. :smug:
It's not too hard to imagine why the Z/28 was okayed. The Camaro was the best selling sports car in the world during it's entire run. The track focus Camaro ZL1 (at least it was more track focused than the GT500) was successful. The track focused 1LE was successful. And the Camaro faithful were clamoring for a "back to basics" Z/28 to go after the Mustang Boss 302, which was also successful. No, the Z/28 is not faster than the Z06 of the same year, but Camaro does have its own racing and performance heritage that some appreciate with no consideration to the Vette.

Telling the Camaro guys to build an "out there" car, much like the Vette team building the ZR1 after the success of the Z06, isn't that hard to understand. Much like building an "out there" Corvette NOW given the (financial) failure of the Z/28 and prospect of an economic slowdown can be seen as prudent.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:21 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

BWright...

In reference to the Bloomberg article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...lem-of-its-own

That's an article worth an entire discussion alone.

Last edited by RC000E; 01-30-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:44 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Clairvoyantwolf
Bwright, would you happen to know how well the Mosler MT900 sold? It's probably the closest there has ever been to a mid-engine, ultra high performance Corvette (...it even had four round tail lights). It had a successful racing career and there are still posts from time to time speaking fondly of it on Ferrarichat.
It's an interesting point actually, one I failed to bring up in my monster response.

The company I had, which was building mid-engine (LSx) tube chassis/track day cars, we actually talked with the owners of that car, as well as Rossion. I was actually (attempting) to plot a departure out of my company, as my partner was showing signs I didn't like.

Point is, like Mossler, Superlite, Factory Five, Cav, and countless others..if you look at the production numbers and sales these cars are getting, it all adds up to a market that definitely exists. The issue is, they all don't gather in one place (unless you know where to find them).

When you start hanging in that crowd though, there are some real dreamers. Mostly ONE guy with enough money to be dangerous and put out a product that may be good, or may not be. Look at Panoz...YIKES...lol. That guy just won't quit with that Deltawing and now he wants to make it a GT car, God help us.

We've seen recently, new laws passed that allow for low production manufacturing of cars, to sidestep federal regs and that's a great start. Problem is, the law stipulates that it's a "replica" of a classic car. This new law could open a lot of doors by exploiting that wording though...I'm looking forward to it!

I suppose part of my problem and why I want to see this "fringe" Corvette is that, my business has always been dealing with the fringe customers. I love that sector of building something extreme, but still streetable. I used to drive a 550whp mid engine LS7 car (2550lbs) to our office 42 miles everyday, I had to quit because when I stopped for breakfast it cost me an extra hour talking to people...lol.

I love that market though...Fran from superlite really knows his sh*t and that's a very cool car. Problem is it's just TOO extreme for the street. FF GTM, they modeled the roofline poorly (that's the part I'd refabricate when we built for customers). Fun stuff though...very fun.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:00 PM
FlamingZ06
Racer

For everyone's information, I played baseball this week with Doug Duchardt, who was the Director of undefeated Corvette Racing back in 2004, and is now the VP/GM of Hendricks Motorsports. So if you need to know anything about either, just ask, because I am sure I am an expert now.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:00 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

C7.R's took first AND second at Daytona...WOOOOOT. Watched all but a couple hours to sleep...lol. I was pretty surprised how well the BOP was on these cars. I monitored lap times pretty closely among all cars throughout the event and it really was pretty close. Great way to start the season!!!

They were apart by .0034 at the finish. 24 hours, well over 2000 miles...and finished about 4ft apart.

Last edited by RC000E; 01-31-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:26 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

OK, I think we've gone far enough off the reservation here. Closed.

Quick Reply: Why not a C7.R performance package similiar to the ACR?