Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ASKED] Why no blind spot detection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
The answer for why the car doesn't have it is pretty simple. GM's blind spot detection system came too late in the design cycle of the C7 for them to design for it and there was no room to put the modules/sensors in the existing C7 design.

Now, as to if they plan to add it (by modifying the C7 design or the blind spot system design), I don't know.
I hope they do, it's a big deterrent to me getting a Z...and the price tag, but I can live with that
Old 05-30-2016, 11:13 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

So far, not a single explanation fits.

Cost? Please, the car is well north of the average Honda and in this territory, most people won't balk at a few hundred more and it could be limited to the tertiary trim group.

Not useful? This BS is the reply of someone with too much bravado and not enough forethought. I always use my mirrors but the other day as I was coming home from my step fathers, a car traveling at speeds well in excess of the posted limit came up on my right side as I was about to put the signal to change lanes. The Porsche system flashed the LEDs in the side mirror and alerted me milliseconds before I would have turned to look. I may not have been in danger of colliding with him but having that visual alert before being momentarily shocked by a car driving so fast next to me was good on my blood pressure.

Tech wasn't available for the C7? The C7 was released in what, 2014? This technology existed prior to then.

Won't fit in the car? Pretty lame excuse, fits right up there with "too heavy".

The simplest explanation fits with the available information. GM didn't think anyone would ask, care or have a voice even if they did.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:42 AM
Argentimage
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Spot on

The technology is either Bosch or continental and has been on Ford production cars 13my or earlier

Cost no excuse
Weight no excuse
Slow enginering maybe but GM is using same suppliers as Ford for these parts so it all comes down to not caring enough to the Voice of the Customer

No Corvette chief engineer can make excuses theyd all be lame
Less than truthful now
Old 05-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Larry M
Drifting

Originally Posted by Argentimage
Spot on

The technology is either Bosch or continental and has been on Ford production cars 13my or earlier

Cost no excuse
Weight no excuse
Slow enginering maybe but GM is using same suppliers as Ford for these parts so it all comes down to not caring enough to the Voice of the Customer

No Corvette chief engineer can make excuses theyd all be lame
Less than truthful now
There are a handful of things really preventing me from getting a Z06 next year. BSA is definitely one of them
Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

You give people the truth and they don't believe it. They would rather be lied to. Guess you could follow the Presidential election to see that.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:23 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

You give people the truth and they don't believe it. They would rather be lied to. Guess you could follow the Presidential election to see that.
You've read an official reply posted/printed? One that's not being accepted?

FYI, this isn't a presidential election forum.

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 06-01-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:51 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
You've read an official reply posted/printed? One that's not being accepted?

FYI, this isn't a presidential election forum.
There's no "official" reply yet, only information that's been given to people personally.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:14 AM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

I just bought an AMG GT-S, a super fast performance car and my wife bought a Mercedes GLK SUV. Both have blind-spot monitoring. Super nice feature that should be on any car. Really handy feature that reduces risk of accidents. Like TPMS and stability control, it should be mandatory on all cars.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:58 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Originally Posted by descartesfool
I just bought an AMG GT-S, a super fast performance car and my wife bought a Mercedes GLK SUV. Both have blind-spot monitoring. Super nice feature that should be on any car. Really handy feature that reduces risk of accidents. Like TPMS and stability control, it should be mandatory on all cars.
I have it on my Mercedes C250, it was an option I didn't want but was the only C250 in the area with the sport package. After a week of having it, it was and is my favorite option.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:21 PM
live2drive
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

There's no "official" reply yet, only information that's been given to people personally.
Care to elaborate?
Old 06-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Originally Posted by live2drive
Care to elaborate?
Since the question has been asked, we might as well wait for the "official" answer.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:48 PM
vettnterry
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blind spot detection

I guess I'm just one of the little ole ladies or little ole men, which ever, I very much enjoy driving my 2017 Z06, but I am extra very careful when changing lanes, I have been driving a STS Cadillac for several years that has the Blind spot detection on it and I love it, it has kept me out some almost bad situations. I would love to have Blind spot detection on my Z06.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...illy_nilly.gif

Quick Reply: [ASKED] Why no blind spot detection?