Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ASKED] Why no blind spot detection?

Old 02-11-2016, 11:18 AM
tbogdan
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default [ASKED] Why no blind spot detection?

I am thoroughly enjoying the 2016 Z51 A8 I recently purchased. Very impressed with C7 interior and all of the features that come with the 3LT. I am curious why Chevrolet would not put blind spot detection on the Corvette, especially when the small window behind the driver is obstructed by the driver seat when merging left or changing to the left lane. This is available on other GM products (LTZ Tahoe, for example).
Old 02-12-2016, 10:14 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Because blind spot detectors are for little old ladies who don't have a clue how to adjust their mirrors? I have driven cars with blind spot detection and they are worthless compared to seeing what is out there with properly adjusted mirrors. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots Three mirrors is all you need to see 360 degrees in any car I've ever driven.
The following 4 users liked this post by FortMorganAl:
BigBird440 (04-24-2016), plasboy (05-09-2016), StingBeeZ06 (07-13-2018), Yaupon (05-11-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

It's needed in this car and I can see this as an option in the near future.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:49 AM
tbogdan
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Because blind spot detectors are for little old ladies who don't have a clue how to adjust their mirrors? I have driven cars with blind spot detection and they are worthless compared to seeing what is out there with properly adjusted mirrors. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots Three mirrors is all you need to see 360 degrees in any car I've ever driven.
Touche' - "little old ladies". I generally agree with you, but posed the question as the Corvette is more difficult to look over the left shoulder and see someone headed into the blind spot than most cars. Where this comes into play for me is in Atlanta rush hour traffic, regardless of mirror setup. Drivers often change lanes irrationally and suddenly and a good blind spot detector tells you not just what is in the blind spot but what is potentially in it with sensitivity turned all of the way on. On a regular basis, the detector on my Audi keeps me out of a potential bad situation where someone comes from two lanes over and seeks the same spot as me, one lane over. In these cases, the mirror (adjusted as you suggested in your post) does not see this unfolding. If someone doesn't like it or didn't want to use it, they can hit the "off" button, or even opt out of it when building their car.

The reason I posted it in Ask Tadge is that as a product engineer/team lead, he would acknowledge that the C7 LT2/LT3/LZ2/LZ3 has been positioned in (and competes with) a premium car segment, such as a 911, M4, etc. These models already include many such features - as opposed to sticking exclusively to performance/track oriented options. IMO, one of the great things about the C7 is they are giving buyers the choice on a ton of stuff - HUD/no HUD, black wheels, chrome wheels, aluminum wheels, NAV, no-NAV, Z51, no-Z51, PDR, 625HP vs. 455/460Hp, etc. In addition, GM already puts this option in a bunch of other models, so why exclude the Corvette and not give someone a choice - even it makes them a little old lady. This is as much about buyer choice than ability to setup mirrors. The car already assists in all kinds of driving conditions for safety reasons, why not let it tell you a car is coming into the lane you are changing into - if you want it to?
The following users liked this post:
H Bobby (12-10-2020)
Old 02-13-2016, 03:22 AM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

The Z06 has such a small rear end relative to where you sit in the vehicle that if you are hitting someone in your "blind spot" you are driving with absolutely no awareness of your surroundings. I recommend becoming a better driver.

Normally I'm all for technology making things better, but in this case it's just silly. The Corvette doesn't need it.
BigBird440 (04-24-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by tbogdan
...This is as much about buyer choice than ability to setup mirrors. The car already assists in all kinds of driving conditions for safety reasons, why not let it tell you a car is coming into the lane you are changing into - if you want it to?
Cost. Even if it is optional you still have to pay for the labor and paperwork and manufacturing capability to make it optional. I agree that Corvette is moving toward a luxury class vehicle. They are also trying to attract a younger demographic. I disagree with both marketing strategies because I take a broader view of GM. The Corvette team wants a larger market share. That is good for them but it is cannibalizing Camaro (younger) and Cadillac (luxury) to do that. Meanwhile a more focused Mustang (with options) is moving in. Zora knew what an unserved part of the market wanted and he knew he could increase GM total market share/profit if he provided it. He led and made Ford and Chrysler follow.

And, to your last point, if someone is 2 lanes over you should be able to see them coming with peripheral vision. If they are far enough back that you can't see them coming then they are far enough back they should not be able to cross 2 lanes in time to get to your back bumper and they should also be able to see you.

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 02-13-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:31 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Have it on my C250 coupe, without a doubt my favorite feature on a loaded entry level Mercedes

Really hoping it makes it to the 2017 Z, otherwise I may delay another year or more
H Bobby (12-10-2020)
Old 04-24-2016, 10:10 PM
Sandy741
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help with mirrors

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I'm new to the Corvette world. 70 years old and I don't bend, fold or mutilate as a youngster. I've build e-types, Lotus S2, MG and others. I'm late in the game, but love the Vette. My father had a 58 fuel injected, but I was 15. Please help with a friendly mirror setup. Thanks, Sandy
Canton, Ga
Old 04-25-2016, 12:40 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I've had multiple C6s for the last 11.5 years and none of them had a blind spot because of the way I adjusted the 2 outside mirrors.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:21 AM
Argentimage
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For the Chevy Chief, if watching,

BLIS is good stuff for a top end sports car to super car,

especially if three hellcats sneak up and surround your Chevy (on YOUR turf - think 696) and want to play cat & mouse with your C7.

Was it a C7 in the dust after HVY KAT, 9 LIVES, and SLO CAT finish the mouse off in the prowl.

All fun for a Saturday after noon, maybe not for the boring gray C7.

Last edited by Argentimage; 04-25-2016 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

I have it on my 2014 Impala LTZ along with front crash alert , curb side warning back up rear view camera side alert. But was told when I purchased my 15 Z06 that the backup camera came with the vette.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:59 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

You can argue about if it's "needed" all day long, along with several other features on the car.

However I think it's pretty sad that I think literally every single other car in the lineup, including the 12k Spark comes with these safety features and the halo car doesn't. I'm not sure why a sub compact entry level car that cost 12k, and a previous gen 5 year old Chevy Cruze has features that a 60k-100k+ car doesn't have.

Incredible car but this is one of my biggest annoyances about the C7. Car should come with lane guidance of some kind, blind zone alert and even the auto braking or radar/auto cruise control. Almost every other car on the road has some/most/all of those features.

Last edited by jdhommert; 05-03-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:08 AM
L8T8
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My two cents...I am a firm supporter of safety features, particularly if they also allow regulation of their intervention under certain well defined conditions.

I'd also prefer operational time meters to mileage recorders on cars as well as compulsory re-training of drivers every now and again. Just to check bad habits 'n such like

Last edited by L8T8; 05-03-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:55 PM
j-son
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because you should be driving faster than everyone else
Old 05-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

I sat down with Harlen last year at Corvettes at Carlisle and ask/suggested that the C7 have blind spot mirrors. It appear it was the first time he heard this request. Where this went I don't know....
Old 05-03-2016, 10:32 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I asked a Corvette team guy at Funfest last year and he said the Corvette is a performance car and doesn't need fancy stuff like that, or something like that.

My dad and I were thinking hmmm because we drive a performance car, our safety isn't important? lol

Like I said, even the Chevy Spark has lane departure warning, forward collision alert and I think blind spot monitoring...I think literally every other car in the lineup has that stuff except the C7.

I hate to get on here and complain because thats almost all you see on here sometimes. Phenomenal car, wouldn't rather have anything else, but the lack of safety features that basically almost every other brand new car has, irks me a bit...because they are features I want in the next new car I buy, especially if I'm spending 75k or so...

Old 05-03-2016, 11:49 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

In conversations with both Harlan Charles and Kirk Bennion, both shared with me the philosophy of listening to the customer base and acting on their demands. So far, the demand for blind spot monitoring systems hasn't been overwhelming. When you add a new system, you add weight and cost. There are many factors to weigh in the decision making process, but it is evident that the Corvette team is listening when you look at what has been changed and added since the 2014 model year.

Get notified of new replies

To [ASKED] Why no blind spot detection?

Old 05-04-2016, 04:10 AM
L8T8
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

At the end, it'll be like ABS or airbags, every safety feature will be standardised. Not only in GM but in global terms.

You don't depend on these things, they are there to guard against human error, which as we all know ain't a rare thing. The possibility to deactivate or curtail intervention of such gizmos on a car like a Vette should imo be an option, although I doubt that GM's legal eagles will ever approve that possibility. Not in this century anyway.

Last edited by L8T8; 05-04-2016 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:52 AM
Argentimage
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If they said that was the first they had heard, that's weak.

Mustang has had it ads well as most every other car in the line up and get this, the same company that makes corvette wiring makes the mustang
The blis systems are Bosch or conti you just implement
Mirror suppliers are two

Weak excuses

They don't need customers they go get competitive cars and copy fast and at that they aren't there with the pack

Focusing on fast is power train and chassis, Where is the electrical team?

With autonomus cars that is what they are working from sensors cameras and computers

No excuse the top end car didn't have the creme de la creme
Old 05-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

The answer for why the car doesn't have it is pretty simple. GM's blind spot detection system came too late in the design cycle of the C7 for them to design for it and there was no room to put the modules/sensors in the existing C7 design.

Now, as to if they plan to add it (by modifying the C7 design or the blind spot system design), I don't know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ASKED] Why no blind spot detection?