Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Why no blind spot detection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 01:53 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default [ANSWERED] Why no blind spot detection?

Original question is here.

tbogdan asked:
I am thoroughly enjoying the 2016 Z51 A8 I recently purchased. Very impressed with C7 interior and all of the features that come with the 3LT. I am curious why Chevrolet would not put blind spot detection on the Corvette, especially when the small window behind the driver is obstructed by the driver seat when merging left or changing to the left lane. This is available on other GM products (LTZ Tahoe, for example).
Tadge answered:
Many of the questions on this forum relate to trade-offs in the vehicle design process. Side Blind Zone is a perfect example.

Generally speaking, we tend to err on the side of not having a lot of alerts that would interfere with the joy of driving. The SBZ feature was just emerging as a feasible customer feature as we were designing the 7th generation Corvette. We thought very carefully about including it in the program since we knew other vehicles were going to offer it. SBZ uses sensors located on the rear outboard corner of the car, just behind the fascia. That is precisely the location we needed to package our race-derived transmission and differential coolers. Having heat exchangers in the back corners interfered with both the physical space need for the sensors and disrupted their performance. In the end, we prioritized vehicle performance over a new feature that we were not sure would be a strong customer desire. We have gotten similar feedback from several customers asking the same question. SBZ does seem to be gaining good acceptance from customers so, although not feasible in the short term, we will strongly consider that customer desire in our future plans.
The following 3 users liked this post by jvp:
50BLKZ06 (06-17-2016), Boiler_81 (06-22-2016), Gonzo (06-14-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 04:13 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Tadge answered: In the end, we prioritized vehicle performance over a new feature that we were not sure would be a strong customer desire.
As do I.

Seriously though, it's not hard to use mirrors to see. Kinda like what people have been doing since the Corvette first came out.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:53 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

Im with you Baylor. If anything I would have preferred more luxury accoutrements then safety equipment. That the new Camaro has a heated steering wheel for example (among many goodies) while still costing so much less does annoy a little bit.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:08 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

I would have liked to have had BSA. I have my mirrors set the way the NHTSA suggests.
I'm able to do this because the fenders are so wide that I can still see it in my mirrors satisfying my desire to see some portion of the car.
That said, I still like the visual warning for when I miss seeing a car enter the blindspot. It has happened where a car in the lane adjacent
is traveling much faster than the posted limit and I may see them in my rearview one instant and they are in my blind spot the next.

I appreciate the information on why it isn't included. What I took from this "Having heat exchangers in the back corners interfered with both the physical space need for the sensors and disrupted their performance. In the end, we prioritized vehicle performance over a new feature that we were not sure would be a strong customer desire" is what I stated earlier, that GM didn't think people would want it enough to devote R&D or $$ into incorporating it.

Considering how many GM vehicles from 2014 that did have BSA, I doubt there was any real discussion taking place like "Gee, do you think a Corvette owner will want BSA?" and someone saying "No way man" when just down the hall the Cruze, Equinox and Malibu design teams were asking that same question and arriving at the opposite answer. Cars these days are not so singular in their purpose, BenCasey wants more luxury in his Corvette, so concluding that a sports car buyer is only performance driven is short sighted.

Ok, now go on, yell at me for not just accepting the reply and keeping quiet.

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 06-09-2016 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 06-09-2016, 10:21 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

CAS is great.

As long as it DOES NOT use police band radar!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far, too many do.

Quit using this!!!!!!!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by owc6:
myc6toy (06-15-2016), vbdenny (07-28-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 03:43 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
I would have liked to have had BSA. I have my mirrors set the way the NHTSA suggests.
I'm able to do this because the fenders are so wide that I can still see it in my mirrors satisfying my desire to see some portion of the car.
If you can still see some portion of your car in your side mirrors you don't have them adjusted properly.

My wife's new Explorer has blind spot sensors and I find them annoying and wish I could disable them, which of course is not an option. They go off all the time in parking lots to the point of being useless and annoying. I for one am glad the C7 doesn't have them. I have over 10k miles on mine and have never come close to hitting someone in my "blind spot" because I have my mirrors adjusted properly so there is no blind spot.

Last edited by Steve_R; 06-10-2016 at 03:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Movie Muscle (06-17-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

If they would actually update the government regulations to allow them to replace the rear view mirrors with cameras, the blind spots could be really eliminated without all the annoying warnings and other nonsense which still aren't 100% reliable.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:09 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

Have them on the wife's Acadia Denali. They just light up when something is is detected, no noise I'm aware of.
Weave just off center and you get noise Both can be turned off if desired
Old 06-10-2016, 11:12 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve_R
If you can still see some portion of your car in your side mirrors you don't have them adjusted properly.

My wife's new Explorer has blind spot sensors and I find them annoying and wish I could disable them, which of course is not an option. They go off all the time in parking lots to the point of being useless and annoying. I for one am glad the C7 doesn't have them. I have over 10k miles on mine and have never come close to hitting someone in my "blind spot" because I have my mirrors adjusted properly so there is no blind spot.
My mirrors are in fact aligned properly.
The Z06 fender is wide enough that a slight body shift to the left and I can see it. I for one like the BSA system my Porsche uses. I've liked it in rental cars that were so equipped. It's not a crutch, just an aid. I like being aided when ever it doesn't interfere or restrict my freedom to make unilateral decisions, unless its going to save my life!
Old 06-11-2016, 01:13 PM
davester
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Don't like them myself since they do indeed interfere with the driving experience. This car has so much power I always roll on a little throttle before changing lanes as I check mirrors. Anything in your blind spot will then be far enough back to be visible.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:17 PM
promocop
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Scratch
Have them on the wife's Acadia Denali. They just light up when something is is detected, no noise I'm aware of.
Weave just off center and you get noise Both can be turned off if desired

Very True. I would welcome them A very desirable safety option
Old 06-11-2016, 03:20 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Put a little stick- on 1-2" D fisheye mirrors in the lower inside corners of your left and right side mirrors. You'll see everything behind you. Works like a champ for me.
The following users liked this post:
vbdenny (07-28-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 07:41 PM
DSOMDream
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

Sorry, I don"t buy that answer. Look how long that we had to wait for radio controls on the steering wheel. Just seems short sighted to me. I'm p.o.'d that the Cruze has BSA and lane departure but not my car which cost 4X as much$$$ bs, I say. Paul
Old 06-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

Yup, my 2014 Impala LTZ has all the safety features. Forward collision alert, curb and lane departure and cross traffic backup alert camera . But the best one is BSA .

If I had to choose just one I would get BSA for my 2015 Z06 You would think the amount of money we payed for our vettes that we would have more safety features than just a horn and backup camera !!
Just my 2cents !
Old 06-11-2016, 08:34 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

I absolutely love my Corvette and really appreciate that Tadge takes the time to answer a number of our questions.

That said, it would have been nice if the "race-derived transmission and differential coolers" actually worked and the Z51 had indeed been "track-ready" as represented.

My 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid had cross-traffic backup alert and blind-spot alert systems, for crying out loud.

I admit to not being an engineer, but am quite surprised that some really effective safety technology items apparently were not more seriously considered. Hopefully, such features will be incorporated in the near future.

Last edited by Len44; 06-11-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:21 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMDream
Sorry, I don"t buy that answer. Look how long that we had to wait for radio controls on the steering wheel. Just seems short sighted to me. I'm p.o.'d that the Cruze has BSA and lane departure but not my car which cost 4X as much$$$ bs, I say. Paul
You don't have to buy the answer. It's the realities of development. You don't like it, buy a Cruze.

I can show you a bunch of more expensive cars that don't bother with that nonsense. Ferrari, McLaren, etc. Don't buy those either, the Cruze is better.

Given the choice, I'd so much rather they had put more engineering time into cooling issues than blind spot detection.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jay_Davis:
Boiler_81 (06-22-2016), Bwright (06-13-2016), fdxpilot (06-18-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 12:16 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
You don't have to buy the answer. It's the realities of development. You don't like it, buy a Cruze.

I can show you a bunch of more expensive cars that don't bother with that nonsense. Ferrari, McLaren, etc. Don't buy those either, the Cruze is better.

Given the choice, I'd so much rather they had put more engineering time into cooling issues than blind spot detection.
Don't berate him for posting his opinion. Who are you? the internet bully? Stand in line, that jobs been assigned already.

Two things can be true at once. Those other cars can exclude BSA while the Corvette includes it. Viola!

There isn't a single logical rational to exclude a safety feature.
Mr Macho Bravado can turn it off or ignore it. My Jumpy can look at it every second and the casual relaxed driver can use is\t more conventionally or like me, when backing out of the garage at night.

Not that it matters because I don't drive my Z at night because of the fracking headlight shake due to a design flaw that secures the headlight to the fender but if I did, my garage doors are 9' wide. The sides of the garage door frame are difficult to see at night as I am backing out of the garage and the Cayenne's BSA just makes it easier plus their BSA is tied into the camera showing an extremely accurate illustration of the vehicle and how close I am to the nearest obstacles on all sides.

Even if I never need it as an actual BSA while driving, for this reason alone I am glad Porsche offered it.

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 06-12-2016 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Typos

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] Why no blind spot detection?

Old 06-12-2016, 06:52 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

I can live without blind spot warning. However, I have to tell you that my 2015 convertible is the only rag top I've ever owned that with the top down I have to still look over my shoulder to make sure there's not a car hiding in the blind spot.

Every other convertible I've ever owned, you set the outside mirrors so when you lean over you can just pick up the back corner, and the interior mirror just squared up and you're good with the top down. No blind spot. As a vehicle leaves the interior mirror it's picked up in the outside mirror.

Not this car because the interior rear view mirror isn't long enough to cover that wide-a**ed rear end.

If it was about 2" longer that would be nice. And don't get me started on the awful rear glass that isn't tall enough on the convertible.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis

Well done.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:24 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Great choice Tadge! More sports car and less luxury is always a good choice for a Corvette.
The following 2 users liked this post by SBC_and_a_stick:
Boiler_81 (06-22-2016), Movie Muscle (06-17-2016)

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Why no blind spot detection?