Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] 2017 Z06 Changes and Improvements

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 11:05 AM
2016Z07
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resides, DeWitts makes a 3'pc kit that changes the radiator, oil and intercooler units out. I bought one but am just about to install on my 2016 Z06 /07 today so have no feedback on solving the problem. I am in the same boat as others regarding limp mode. Also a bit frustrated with GM for not reaching out to owners to advise them of upgrade kits that they should be installing for us. A customer is the best advertising a company can have and it can be the worst too. I find it a bit pathetic that we even have to search the CF for information.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:07 PM
Rasidel
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016Z07
Resides, DeWitts makes a 3'pc kit that changes the radiator, oil and intercooler units out. I bought one but am just about to install on my 2016 Z06 /07 today so have no feedback on solving the problem. I am in the same boat as others regarding limp mode. Also a bit frustrated with GM for not reaching out to owners to advise them of upgrade kits that they should be installing for us. A customer is the best advertising a company can have and it can be the worst too. I find it a bit pathetic that we even have to search the CF for information.
there's no TSB or anything official like that?

if not, there should be.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

My experience having gone through almost all of the initial R&D for the ATI D1, TTi, and PTK twin turbo kits on my C5 Z is that an independent air EOC is a real benefit over a EOC that shares or uses engine coolant to cool both systems.

Example on my TTi kit I had an aftermarket Rad with integral EOC, pretty clean but noticed after an hour driving that both would heat up and not cool down as fast. I went to a separate EOC air to air and it was instantly noticeable. Only problem was that it took longer to get the oil up to temp before being able to get on it. But overall a huge benefit to cooling. All that the redesign of the 2017 has done is really increase the volume of the cooling system and intercooler area.

Not sure why GM didn't simply increase the Rad size and use a separate air to air EOC. That would have improved things significantly. Kind of a lazy approach if you ask me to simply plump then tranny cooler to add additional Rad capacity.

Another example more close related to the C7 is my CTS V with LPE 427 TVS 2300 Maggie. When I got it the owner had installed air to air EOC at the very front. Unfortunately he installed it so that the bungs for the lines were as lower than the front lip of the bumper. After about a year driving the car I finally crept up to close to a curb and cracked the bung on EOC oil cooler and dumped a gallon of oil in the parking lot. That sucked.

Anyway I removed the EOC and even under normal conditions the oil gets hot quickly and that increases the coolant level as well.

I think the first thing I would experiment with would be the Dewitt's EOC or make my own using an Earl's or Mocal kit.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 05-14-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:55 PM
2016Z07
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
My experience having gone through almost all of the initial R&D for the ATI D1, TTi, and PTK twin turbo kits on my C5 Z is that an independent air EOC is a real benefit over a EOC that shares or uses engine coolant to cool both systems.

Example on my TTi kit I had an aftermarket Rad with integral EOC, pretty clean but noticed after an hour driving that both would heat up and not cool down as fast. I went to a separate EOC air to air and it was instantly noticeable. Only problem was that it took longer to get the oil up to temp before being able to get on it. But overall a huge benefit to cooling. All that the redesign of the 2017 has done is really increase the volume of the cooling system and intercooler area.

Not sure why GM didn't simply increase the Rad size and use a separate air to air EOC. That would have improved things significantly. Kind of a lazy approach if you ask me to simply plump then tranny cooler to add additional Rad capacity.

Another example more close related to the C7 is my CTS V with LPE 427 TVS 2300 Maggie. When I got it the owner had installed air to air EOC at the very front. Unfortunately he installed it so that the bungs for the lines were as lower than the front lip of the bumper. After about a year driving the car I finally crept up to close to a curb and cracked the bung on EOC oil cooler and dumped a gallon of oil in the parking lot. That sucked.

Anyway I removed the EOC and even under normal conditions the oil gets hot quickly and that increases the coolant level as well.

I think the first thing I would experiment with would be the Dewitt's EOC or make my own using an Earl's or Mocal kit.
Thank you for your response. You are absolutely correct. The radiator did not and the intercooler did not, turns out that the CAT is only a few inches away from the oil cooler and the oil filter so I am sure that the radiant heat off of it is not helping matters. I intend to put a DEI shield on it and also out the EOC from DeWitts on it. That should solve most of the problems. thx John
Old 05-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Thank you for your response. You are absolutely correct. The radiator did not and the intercooler did not, turns out that the CAT is only a few inches away from the oil cooler and the oil filter so I am sure that the radiant heat off of it is not helping matters. I intend to put a DEI shield on it and also out the EOC from DeWitts on it. That should solve most of the problems. thx John
So just so that I'm clear. Did you install the DeWitt's Rad and SC Intercooler already and not notice a significant difference?

I haven't put this car on my lift yet to look it over. I appreciate your observation of the stock oil cooler and filter location in close proximity to the CAT, that definitely is worth noting as there is a lot of heat radiating from the CATs. Unless its a BAHA or Boating application the best place intercoolers are up front in the open nose section.

If you installed the other two DeWitts components and didn't notice significant cooling improvements, you will save other forum members reading this some $$. Please let us know if you see significant results from installing the EOC up front. Which I believe you will based on my experience.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 05-15-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] 2017 Z06 Changes and Improvements