Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] How are Colors Selected for Corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 12:32 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Default [ANSWERED] How are Colors Selected for Corvettes?

The original question is here.

Reason222 asked:
I'm curious to know what kind of process goes into choosing the colors that will be available for Corvettes. I may be the odd guy out, but I feel like the colors available for corvette tend to stay pretty generic. I'm sure Black, red, gray, white and blue are your biggest sellers and kind of standard. Why not use some of the extra color "slots" you have available to use something more vibrant and interesting.

You could make a lighter green, lime green, or a lighter orange, or a lighter shade of purple. Sure they might not be high sellers, but that's what your "standard" colors could be for. Why keep changing the shade of gray, or having multiple reds? Is the market you're missing for these lighter, more vibrant colors not large enough to offset the cost? or is there some other force that keeps corvettes in dark shades of pretty much everything.

Tadge answered:
Interesting question Reason222.

As your question reflects, customers are extremely passionate about color choices. We have an entire department here at GM dedicated to the determination of interior and exterior colors for all our vehicles. They study color trends around the world in automotive, housing, interior design, fashion clothing and other areas where color plays a role in customer delight. As you point out, there are some preferences that have reliable demand and other colors that are more "faddish", meaning they get hot for a while and then disappear. It would be a lot easier if we could pick a palette of interior colors and exterior colors separately. But they have to go together. We have seen some killer interiors that just don't look good with many of our exterior colors. So one of the challenges is to make sure we have many great combinations, not just great standalone colors. Despite all the new exciting colors, our top sellers are the three oldest colors in the palette: Arctic White, Black, and Torch Red. These are classic Corvette colors and we have learned from experience not to mess with them. These are staples and will continue to carry-on. The Blade silver is also a must-have for a sports car and our Corvette Racing Yellow is linked to our successful C7.R racing program. Recently we introduced four new colors. Two are inspired by historic colors: Admiral Blue and Black Rose. The other two colors are all new: Watkins Glen Gray and Sterling Blue. We always try to make sure we have a mix of conservative colors and expressive vibrant ones.

Another factor we consider when choosing a color is making sure it simply looks good on the body. Many colors that may look striking on a color sample simply don't translate into an attractive package on an assembled Corvette. By picking colors that accentuate the Corvette's crisp lines we can enhance the overall design theme. When incorporating metallic paints we consider how the color travels as it flows across the curves of the car's body. With a paint that demonstrates this color travel or flop (these are industry terms for a color's variation in hue when light is reflected off the painted surface at differing angles) we evaluate the finished product to make sure it is still appealing when viewed from different directions. By incorporating a tinted clear coat with some of our colors, we can add a depth and richness that is not readily possible with a basecoat alone further enhancing the beauty of the vehicle.

The reason we put so much effort into choosing colors is that it is an expensive, complex process to put a new color into production. Most customers assume we just order paint from a supplier and paint the car, but it is not that simple. Automotive paints are highly engineered chemical mixes that have to meet very challenging requirements for adhesion and durability in addition to looking pretty on all the different substrates (panel materials) we use. Every new color must spray out evenly and provide a consistent finish over the entire panel on every Corvette. Because Corvette is a composite car, every paint color we use is custom mixed for us. We do not share paint with any other car in the world. Even a standard color like black is unique for us. Paint color is not only sensitive to the substrate, it is highly dependent on the process used to apply it. Lengthy trials are typically required to get the color and quality right. Panels are painted over and over resulting in a lot of scrap material (cost). In addition to the work done in Bowling Green, all our suppliers from whom we buy painted parts (like mirrors) have to work their processes so the parts match perfectly. Once we have a color in production, managing low volume colors becomes problematic. Since the same robots paint every car, we have to clean the system delivering the paint to the robot every time we have to paint a different color. That is why when you visit Bowling Green you will see many cars of the same color coming down the line in a row - We group like-colored orders together. When the penetration of a color goes below 5% the costs become unmanageable so we look to replace it with something more customers will choose. We have done a lot of great colors that many people really like, but unless it is their favorite over all the others, it doesn't sell. A lot of people love Corvettes in yellow but in spite of the fact that the C7.R is yellow, few people actually buy it (Don't worry, even though it is a low volume color, we have no intention of getting rid of it any time soon).

Thanks very much for the question. We are keenly interested in picking colors our customers will love. Right now the trend is towards more expressive so your sentiments are in line with the way palettes are moving. I should also mention that our new paint shop currently under construction at our Bowling Green Plant is installing additional technology that will allow for expanded color choices in the future. Look forward to more exciting colors coming soon!

Last edited by jvp; 10-31-2016 at 12:34 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by jvp:
396tears (11-03-2016), FYREANT (10-31-2016), Heidemarie (11-05-2016), joemessman (10-31-2016), LT4_CE (11-02-2016), millpond (11-03-2016), Never Settle (11-01-2016), SBC_and_a_stick (11-04-2016) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-31-2016, 04:56 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Like the expanded color choices that are coming.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:24 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I would love to see expanded color choices. Honestly the three colors I think would look awesome are Lime Green, Plum Purple, and like a bright Inferno Orange. Colors you typically only see on things like lambo's. why? Because the C7 would not only pull it off, but would pull it off well..
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 10:51 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

IMO a good answer...
Old 11-01-2016, 12:59 PM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Pearl White?

I have always wondered why Corvettes are not painted in Pearl tricoat white. You can buy many GM models in that color, even trucks. I was so disappointed when the 2013 Corvett 427's only came in the tired old Artic White. Why are corvettes not available in Pearl tricoat or Pearl White?
Old 11-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
IMO a good answer...
Old 11-01-2016, 11:37 PM
JOEHAWK
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Great explanation!
Old 11-02-2016, 09:52 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Judgebull
I have always wondered why Corvettes are not painted in Pearl tricoat white. You can buy many GM models in that color, even trucks. I was so disappointed when the 2013 Corvett 427's only came in the tired old Artic White. Why are corvettes not available in Pearl tricoat or Pearl White?
If I may offer my opinion. I believe they do not offer it because they don't think it will sell well for them.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:38 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Anyone who thinks Admiral Blue doesn't look like the prettiest blue ever on a car is nuts, it should be standard from now until forever.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:04 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vader86
Anyone who thinks Admiral Blue doesn't look like the prettiest blue ever on a car is nuts, it should be standard from now until forever.
I have to agree. It is a most beautiful shade of blue.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:32 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Nassau Blue by a marathon mile.

And I am sure more than a few would agree quality of the paint job can be greatly improved. (orange peel)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by vader86
While I agree with you regarding Admiral Blue ..... I feel the same way about Polo Green...
Old 11-04-2016, 08:50 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Judgebull
I think Tadge answered this one quite clearly. Corvettes have composite bodies, trucks do not. Therefore, the paints are optimized for the two applications and are therefore always going to be different. That means no Artic white on the truck either.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:59 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
IMO a good answer...
I agree, I've been wondering for quite some time how colors are chosen.

Further, my $995 Long Beach Red Corvette looks better than a $395 Siren red Silverado, ...I think.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:35 PM
Reason222
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

WOW! I wasn't expecting my question to get to Tadge lol. It was a pretty satisfying response too so thanks Tadge. out of all the colors the C7 has been available in, I would've purchased any of the below:
Lime rock green
Daytona Sunrise Orange
Laguna Blue

But by the time i was ready to get mine all of those choices were gone so black it was. Soon it'll be wrapped in a sweet metallic emerald green though.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:23 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I think would look awesome are Lime Green, Plum Purple, and like a bright Inferno Orange. Colors you typically only see on things like lambo's. why?..
or Dodge's.

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] How are Colors Selected for Corvettes?

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] How are Colors Selected for Corvettes?