Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

HD radio returns this year, but why was it absent for 15', 16', and 17'?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 12:08 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default HD radio returns this year, but why was it absent for 15', 16', and 17'?

Tadge,

In the 2014 release of the C7 we had HD radio as a standard feature. In years 2015, 2016, and 2017, HD radio was discontinued. Now, HD radio is making a return to the C7 with the 2018 release. Can you let us know why the 2015-2017 releases did not have HD radio and if any improvements have been made with the 2018 re-release of the HD radio feature in the C7?

Thanks,

Ant
Old 04-28-2017, 12:28 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

They quickly touched on this today at the bash. Sounded almost like they had feedback to bring it back, but wasn't totally clear. Would be interesting to know more details about what changes to the infotainment system were made, I'm sure we'll know when we see the 2018's more closely.

One thing is for sure, not an easy retrofit. They mentioned different antennas and they are not doing retro software upgrades either.
The following users liked this post:
FYREANT (04-28-2017)
Old 01-19-2019, 01:52 PM
rosco11
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2014 with HD radio. Also have HD radio in my 2016 dodge. The signal in the corvette is terrible. Constantly shifting in and out of HD causing it to sound like it is going from stereo to mono and back again as it is "acquiring hd signal" Works fine if you are sitting still. I can see why they dropped it. Nothing to do with customer desire and everything to do with "behind the power curve" on developing a radio that works well with it. To make matters worse, when you shut HD off, the sound quality drops considerably. It does not sound as good as the radio in my 2004 truck.

The dodge works fantastically. It buffers so even if the signal is lost for a few seconds, you do not lose any sound quality. Just a better radio.

Would be willing to bet the 18 has a better radio and probably an improvement on the antenna. Hoping the after market comes up with something. GM won't because that would be admitting it was not "working as intended" when they sold it. Bad press. If anyone finds a fix, please post it.

Get notified of new replies

To HD radio returns this year, but why was it absent for 15', 16', and 17'?

Quick Reply: HD radio returns this year, but why was it absent for 15', 16', and 17'?