Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Problem Updating A8 Fluid On My Dime

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:51 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Problem Updating A8 Fluid On My Dime

Given the the A8 TB three flush fluid change "solution" prior to a TCC replacement, and its non-warranty cost (approx. $1,300+), I would not mind absorbing a single fluid change cost (like is normally done for any auto trans vehicle). My car is 2016 A8 Z06 with no transmission problems - yet.

I thought this might head off a future TCC problem. Except - my dealer said "can't do a single changeover". They won't use their flushing machine as "a single change could contaminate the fluid" - because of the residual fluid (with other specs) from other Chevrolet transmissions.

I cannot understand the logic. The "contamination" probably cannot consist of more than a few percent. It's still auto trans fluid. How can my idea be worse than our current situation that has led to a fair number of TCC problems where the GM TB is saying "three flushes must be done", which implies that there is a problem with the current fluid.

Is there a real known engineering reason why I cannot do this, on my dime nonetheless ?

This should be a warranty covered action, without any TCC/trans operational problems, in order to head off a later problem. Plus, under the current rule, when we reach a future point where there is a problem and the car is out of warranty owners are hit either with a $1,400 fluid change solution, or a $3,000 TCC replacement.

Last edited by tobaccokid; 06-06-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: providing additional car operating info
Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Before we even come close to putting this up for vote to then submit to Tadge: how many dealers have you asked about this? If just one, then I'd recommend you check with others. Remember that dealers aren't part of GM, so you could very well have a "challenging" dealer on your hands.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:06 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

[QUOTE=jvp;1594888943]Before we even come close to putting this up for vote to then submit to Tadge: how many dealers have you asked about this? If just one, then I'd recommend you check with others. Remember that dealers aren't part of GM, so you could very well have a "challenging" dealer on your hands.

I will ask other dealers. Unfortunately, they have no way of answering my engineering question. The distinction between the two can be found in the hundreds of problems shown here in the forum over the years, especially as it relates to C6 Z06 and C7 Z06 Chevrolet Engineering failures that have cost these two groups of owners a total of hundreds of thousands of dollars in out of pocket expenses as a group.

Problem is I was not asking a business question, point, but an engineering question. Dealers can be more or less "technical", but none have an engineering (as a degreed engineer myself who has worked in the aerospace and computing fields) capability.

Hence, my question was an engineering question. As my previous car was a C6 Z06, where my rocker arms failed - due to 1,500 sets of 2007 C6 Z06 rocker arms manufactured in China (inexcusable) - and my oil analysis showed impending valve/head failure - all rectified on my dime - dealers had no idea which end was up. Dealers are maintenance entities, nothing more or less, not engineering entities.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:31 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by tobaccokid
I will ask other dealers. Unfortunately, they have no way of answering my engineering question.
And they shouldn't have to. The basic issue you outlined is a service issue, not an engineering one. In other words: dealer won't do X because of reason Y. If you get the same answer from other dealers, then, perhaps, it's an engineering one.

The distinction between the two can be found in the hundreds of problems shown here in the forum over the years, especially as it relates to C6 Z06 and C7 Z06 Chevrolet Engineering failures that have cost these two groups of owners a total of hundreds of thousands of dollars in out of pocket expenses as a group.
OK. Now you're pontificating, and that's going to stop.

Dealers are maintenance entities, nothing more or less, not engineering entities.
And that's all they're required to be.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem Updating A8 Fluid On My Dime

Quick Reply: Problem Updating A8 Fluid On My Dime