Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Why can you not just disable the AFM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:20 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

The EPA numbers for both cars are in the "default" setting, which is Tour mode. When the EPA tests are done, the car isn't allowed to be changed into a non-default mode.

AFM is on to various degrees in all but "Sport" and "Track" with the automatic transmission. Which means it may very likely contribute a small amount to the automatic's EPA numbers for the highway. The goal here is to reduce the GG tax on the automatic cars.

AFM isn't on in any mode for the manual except "Eco". So it doesn't have any play when it comes to the EPA tests.

Last edited by jvp; 03-14-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:09 PM
AirForceJim
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the latest version of this bulletin! Dated October 10, 2018
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Ljsa9R3hqci9_7

2nd block in bold text.
GM is telling dealers not to fix the shutter! WAIT UNTILL Q1 of 2019!!
What?? SO... your corvette is broken and they don't know how to fix it; well they do but its only temporary and don't want to have to replace TCs multiple times.
Just park that Corvette in the garage and wait. and wait. and wait. I'm sure 'they' will figure out 'something'...
If you got an automatic C7 get rid of it & if your thinking about buying one DON'T get an automatic.
one other note: if your have a convertible the shutter is WAY worse; the entire roof of the car acts like a speaker amplifying the vibration... basically shaking the fillings out of your teeth!
Old 11-16-2018, 03:01 PM
jenninpg
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 AFM issues

So the original thread had to do with the shudder caused by the AFM. The shudder was a failing torque converter caused by the AFM. Not just corvettes but any GMC , V6 or V8. I had a friend with a V6 Impala that also needed the torque converter replaced. Fortunately Mine STILL Had 2 WEEKS Left On the warranty. Since I have installed a AFM disabler by Range. It works great. I've had it about 6 months and have about 3500 miles using it. If I can maintain 70 to 75 mph I still get 32 mpg so I honestly don't see that the AFM bought me more than 1 mpg. Not sure the connection between the converter and AFM but Chevrolet knows there is one. They have a service bulletin to flush the transmission to fix the shudder but mine with 20,000 miles was too far gone.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:37 PM
JimmiT
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Eco mode for my M7 is when I pull it into the garage.My garage is very narrow and slightly uphill. It kills the power enough that it makes it easier to slip the clutch.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Dennis 71
Heel & Toe

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

The main "problem" here is the government dictating to the market what we "should" be buying rather than letting the consumer decide what we actually wish to buy. If you don't like the result there is a simple solution. Stop voting for the party that loves to increase regulations and is never satisfied that we have "enough" regulation. Probably just wishful thinking but maybe someday things will change and some common sense might prevail.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:08 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

You have more faith in mankind than I do.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Why can you not just disable the AFM?