Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Grand Sport / Z06 Wheels Bending

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:25 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by dparm
If people don't bother telling the dealer, and the dealer isn't reporting it up to GM, then he will never know.

Case in point, someone in this thread just posted that Discount Tire discovered cracks in the wheels. How is GM going to find out about that?
Why would anyone report it to the dealer? I'm guessing 99% of people assume you can't it covered under warranty (and they're right). Besides, even if they brought it in to the dealer, if they just buy a new one, how would Tadge know?

Last edited by village idiot; 07-03-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by village idiot
Why would anyone report it to the dealer? I'm guessing 99% of people assume you can't it covered under warranty (and they're right). Besides, even if they brought it in to the dealer, if they just buy a new one, how would Tadge know?
Those kinds of reports can be summarized and the engineering team can pull them from the dealer network. So if service is provided by a dealer (paid or not), and GM asks for that data, they'll get it. If the owner buys the wheel elsewhere and gets the work done, there's no way for GM to pull that.
The following 2 users liked this post by jvp:
CorvetteBrent (07-04-2018), JerryU (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 01:33 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by z06nj
ok, so who here started driving in track mode after reading tadge's response? (i'm not going past sport mode.)
lol
Old 07-04-2018, 01:39 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
Those kinds of reports can be summarized and the engineering team can pull them from the dealer network. So if service is provided by a dealer (paid or not), and GM asks for that data, they'll get it. If the owner buys the wheel elsewhere and gets the work done, there's no way for GM to pull that.
assuming people go to the dealership. Assuming the dealership doesn't just sell it as a part to the customer. Etc.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:52 AM
btwicked
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Add this to the list of engineering defects with these cars. How can you not warranty these wheels when they all crack at the same point - the inner lip. This is a design fault. These wheels should have been forged from the factory like team camaro did with the ZL1. It nuts to think that after a few thousand miles that multiple wheels can be bent and/or cracked on cars that cost upwards of $100,000 on a regular basis.

"find new roads" - because we didn't design a wheel to be driven on public ones...
The following 2 users liked this post by btwicked:
pdiddy972 (07-11-2018), vince1995 (08-18-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 12:25 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

How many of you guys are shopping for new wheels before these bend? What are the recommended brands and construction?
Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by spinkick
How many of you guys are shopping for new wheels before these bend? What are the recommended brands and construction?
Only reason I got some. I think the GS Cup wheels look perfect on the GS
Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Discussions of any sort of legal action will not be permitted in this or most other sections of the Corvette Forum. We have Vendor Dispute area; that's where such discussions happen. Any further mentions of it will be deleted, and if it continues, the thread closed.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:03 AM
flenn
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Discussions of any sort of legal action will not be permitted in this or most other sections of the Corvette Forum. We have Vendor Dispute area; that's where such discussions happen. Any further mentions of it will be deleted, and if it continues, the thread closed.
I removed the offending sentence...

I don't believe Tadge and GM when they say that there's no evidence of a problem. Even Spring Mountain had to alter the curbing on their tracks because they kept bending C7 Z06 and Grand Sport wheels. You don't think Chevy heard about that? Reviewers and press cars have experienced the same issue. And even if owners don't go through their dealers to resolve the problem, they brought their cars there for the initial diagnoses so guaranteed that it's a known issue within the service network which makes its way to corporate.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:51 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

It's silly to me to think that GM would not know. There is probably more than one engineer that dedicates their life to wheels on this particular car.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:00 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Of course they know. The question is, is it worth fixing it? That means making, testing, etc a whole new wheel for 1-2 years.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:22 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by flyguy0812
Just left Discount Tires. I have slow leaks in 3 of my tires. They showed me cracks in the the wheels that are not holding air. WTF? No warranty?
Bottom line is this is a SOLID part, with no moving parts. No wheel should be possible to damage without first destroying the tire. The fact these wheels are bending with no damage to tires, means the wheel design is defective for the car/suspension design.
The following users liked this post:
vince1995 (08-18-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

I dropped in here to do a thread search on "Cracked Wheel" because.... since March, I have replaced 5 wheels and may be looking at replacing #6 because I started losing air in the right rear today.

(2017 Grand Sport, black wheels, bought April 29, 2017)

I replaced a full set - all 4 wheels were bent - in March, after hitting a shallow construction gouge across the road, at 45 mph

(City and Construction company have denied the claim).

I cracked a left rear last month (June) on a normal drive between Nashville TN and Charlotte NC. No potholes along the way.

If my left rear is now cracked, that'll be #6.

This is mostly driving in Middle Tennessee. We had a harsh winter but - this is my fourth Corvette. Previously had a '93, a '98, and a '99. Daily driven, all!

I haven't suddenly become a wheel-abusing driver. I have never cracked or damaged a wheel on any other cars in my life.

And... as was posted above, Car & Driver just mentioned wheel damage problems on their long-term GS!

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...pdate-3-review

EDIT:

The wheel was "fractured" according to the dealer service writer. And, I am getting a new wheel, for free. No pictures yet.

Last edited by Wadoka; 07-14-2018 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Updated info
vince1995 (08-18-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 03:56 PM
dparm
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flenn
I removed the offending sentence...

I don't believe Tadge and GM when they say that there's no evidence of a problem. Even Spring Mountain had to alter the curbing on their tracks because they kept bending C7 Z06 and Grand Sport wheels. You don't think Chevy heard about that? Reviewers and press cars have experienced the same issue. And even if owners don't go through their dealers to resolve the problem, they brought their cars there for the initial diagnoses so guaranteed that it's a known issue within the service network which makes its way to corporate.
Source on the Spring Mountain thing? That's pretty crazy if true.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadoka
I dropped in here to do a thread search on "Cracked Wheel" because.... since March, I have replaced 5 wheels and may be looking at replacing #6 because I started losing air in the right rear today.

(2017 Grand Sport, black wheels, bought April 29, 2017)

I replaced a full set - all 4 wheels were bent - in March, after hitting a shallow construction gouge across the road, at 45 mph

(City and Construction company have denied the claim).

I cracked a left rear last month (June) on a normal drive between Nashville TN and Charlotte NC. No potholes along the way.

If my left rear is now cracked, that'll be #6.

This is mostly driving in Middle Tennessee. We had a harsh winter but - this is my fourth Corvette. Previously had a '93, a '98, and a '99. Daily driven, all!

I haven't suddenly become a wheel-abusing driver. I have never cracked or damaged a wheel on any other cars in my life.

And... as was posted above, Car & Driver just mentioned wheel damage problems on their long-term GS!

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...pdate-3-review

EDIT:

The wheel was "fractured" according to the dealer service writer. And, I am getting a new wheel, for free. No pictures yet.
GM sucks, they don't care, you got lucky on getting a new one for free. Best bet it to get the Wheel and Tire insurance, or non run flats if you have RF tires, or a real set of wheels
Old 07-26-2018, 12:50 PM
JetEngineJoel
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate to say it, but perhaps the only way we may get GM to admit there is a real problem with wheels bending/cracking and do something about it, may be to start reporting all these instances to someplace like The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for the resultant safety hazard it induces.

If small imperfections in road surface and track curbing causes wheel failure, something wasn’t designed correctly.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:31 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

My solution should be here in a few days

pdiddy972 (07-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] Grand Sport / Z06 Wheels Bending

Old 07-26-2018, 03:58 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Oohhh, shiny. What are those?
Old 07-26-2018, 08:56 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

Oohhh, shiny. What are those?
signature 701
Old 07-27-2018, 12:04 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Did you get the gold "grill" that come with those?

I'm seeing a car fashion trend here. What color is your car? Should be hot.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Grand Sport / Z06 Wheels Bending