Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ASKED] Center console armrest and door panel foam indentations

Old 10-29-2017, 10:02 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default [ASKED] Center console armrest and door panel foam indentations

Tadge,

Many of us have had to have our center console lid/armrest and/or our drivers door panels replaced under warranty due to the foam getting permanent indentation from continued exposure to peoples elbows. These indentations never "heal" after multiple days of not driving the car. I have personally had two center armrest lids and one drivers door panel replaced and mine have become distorted yet again.

The unfortunate thing is that warranty repair replaces these parts with the exact same part number indicating no improvements have been made to the part. As expected these eventually sees the same indentations return after only 5-10,000 miles of driving. Now that a lot of us with 2014's are out of warranty, the continued replacement of these parts gets costly. Has the Corvette team considered improving the underlying padding with stronger density foam that is more resilliant to permanent indentations and shaping? What options do we have rather than continuing to go through groundhog day with the same parts?

Ant

Last edited by FYREANT; 10-29-2017 at 10:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kracka (11-02-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 12:39 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

I have the same problem... I need my third center console piece. I see you're from FL also I wonder if it's worse for those of us in hot climates.

The funny thing is, I've never seen another car with this problem so it seems the foam they used just isn't of normal resilience for some reason.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:09 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by slickstick
I have the same problem... I need my third center console piece. I see you're from FL also I wonder if it's worse for those of us in hot climates.

The funny thing is, I've never seen another car with this problem so it seems the foam they used just isn't of normal resilience for some reason.
I believe the poll for voting opens up tomorrow. Make sure to vote so we can ask Tadge about this officially!

Get notified of new replies

To [ASKED] Center console armrest and door panel foam indentations

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ASKED] Center console armrest and door panel foam indentations