Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Ask Tadge Post your questions here for Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter and then discuss the questions and his answers.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Old 11-02-2017, 03:15 PM
myc7z51
CF Member

Default Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Hey Tadge - my car is getting due for some new rubber soon and after an afternoon of scanning the web, I find a lot of good things being said about the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Is this a good replacement for my Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZPs?

Or should I stick to the tires that came with my car?

Will Corvette be replacing the Super Sports with the Pilot Sport 4S as OE?

I do a lot of highway driving with a couple of Track Days each year...
The Following User Says Thank You to myc7z51 For This Useful Post:
Kracka (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Kracka
CF Senior Member

Here is the response I received from Michelin after asking them a similar question:

"Thank you for your interest in our PS4S tires. No, there are no plans for the C7 Z51 runflat sizes in PS4S. The OE TPC market PSS runflats are specially tuned for the C7 Corvette and is the best choice for replacement. We do have the non run flat sizes for the C7 standard and Z51, but we recommend staying with the TPC marked runflats."
The Following User Says Thank You to Kracka For This Useful Post:
myc7z51 (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:55 PM
myc7z51
CF Member

Thx for the reply Kracka! The reason for my question is due to a number of reviewers stating that the PS4S is the replacement for the PSS and my own thoughts of the tire, while being great on the track, was less than confidence boosting in the torrential rainstorm I drove through in Iowa and the hail storm I drove through in Colorado.

Up here in the Northeast the weather is less than ideal for the PSS, and while I still would like to track the car, sometimes it's nicer to have the car go straight when the roads are cold and wet rather than testing my driving skills...

If the Corvette team is considering a TPC number for this tire, I'm sure that is is being reviewed, and I'm wondering if that call will ever be made either for or against.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:55 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,424 Times in 403 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Originally Posted by myc7z51 View Post
If the Corvette team is considering a TPC number for this tire, I'm sure that is is being reviewed, and I'm wondering if that call will ever be made either for or against.
That wouldn't be discussed here on the forums publicly. Hopefully you understand that; Tadge's answer is going to be: "Buy the tire your car came with for best performance."
Old 11-04-2017, 04:12 AM
myc7z51
CF Member

Well I probably got a month or so before the snow flies here and my car will be going for it's long winters nap.
I was simply looking for some direction as it seems like PSS is being phased out and the Corvette team has a stated goal of continuous Improvement.
But this will be something that I will have to address shortly - probably early in next year's driving season.
Maybe something will be announced at the Detroit Auto Show or possibly at The Bash in April.🤞
Old 11-29-2017, 12:58 PM
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by myc7z51 View Post
Well I probably got a month or so before the snow flies here and my car will be going for it's long winters nap.
I was simply looking for some direction as it seems like PSS is being phased out and the Corvette team has a stated goal of continuous Improvement.
But this will be something that I will have to address shortly - probably early in next year's driving season.
Maybe something will be announced at the Detroit Auto Show or possibly at The Bash in April.🤞
I get the impression that the current PSS tires will continue to be standard, and the PS4S will be available only as an aftermarket choice. But sometimes I miss things...
Old 12-20-2017, 03:04 PM
doctor_charly

guys, don't be fooled : one day, the PSS will no longer be on the market because its going to be obsolete. Now the new benchmark is the PS4S, but they still need to sale all of these nice crappy RF PSS left on the shelf thats all...
Old 12-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

guys, don't be fooled: one day, every tire in production now will no longer be on the market because its going to be obsolete.

The PS4S won't be showing up as standard fitment on Corvettes until Michelin makes it in the appropriate runflat sizes.
Even then, GM has a bunch of their own specifications like fuel economy (even on Corvettes!), tread life, price, etc that a new tire will have to meet before it becomes standard.

We all know the PSS will be replaced some day, the question is "When" and "What"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.