Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Catch Cans

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:05 PM
shetan
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch Cans

i would like to know if catch cans are just the aftermarket looking for an opportunity to make money, or are they necessary? i have seen this discussed for c7 corvettes, but i am interested in the answer for c5 corvettes, specifically the ls6 equipped zo6. it is hard for me to believe that the corvette engineers would not have designed this if it was necessary.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:38 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Tadge has already questions about catch cans. Please see the answers thread in the Sticky's for that. The answer is not "model specific" and it does not need to be. Generally speaking, a catch can is not necessary. Some elect to use one and some dont. Neither is "wrong" for doing so. As you said if it were necessary, GM would have put one on there.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:44 PM
shetan
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Tadge has already questions about catch cans. Please see the answers thread in the Sticky's for that. The answer is not "model specific" and it does not need to be. Generally speaking, a catch can is not necessary. Some elect to use one and some dont. Neither is "wrong" for doing so. As you said if it were necessary, GM would have put one on there.
Thank you for the reply. I read the sticky, i just wanted to be sure there wasn't something particular to the ls1 or ls6 that i was missing.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:13 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by shetan
i would like to know if catch cans are just the aftermarket looking for an opportunity to make money, or are they necessary? i have seen this discussed for c7 corvettes, but i am interested in the answer for c5 corvettes, specifically the ls6 equipped zo6. it is hard for me to believe that the corvette engineers would not have designed this if it was necessary.
LOTS AND LOTS of threads regarding CCs including some replie addressing your question . Let “search forum” be your friend.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:00 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

OMG, I hope we don't go down this road again, and yes Tadge has answered this question.

Trust us OP, it will only confuse you and make your head spin. Jerry, take a deep breath and resist the urge.

Here a recent one and typical:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...coke-zero.html

Last edited by Foosh; 12-25-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:11 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,250 Posts

OP, for many like the previous respondent any catch can discussion is a taboo subject. As for me I am glad I catch this crap before it goes into my intake manifold without the benefit of gas injectors washing down the back side of the intake valves! These pics represent a total of 1000 miles.

Here one you can check out.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...catch-can.html

Last edited by Maxie2U; 01-05-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Catch Cans

Quick Reply: Catch Cans