Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Magnetic Ride Performance Calibrations

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMMMMM
Does the $350 MRC update have any effect on safety, which is Stabilitrak (or “active handling”), and, ABS? The write-up only seems to mention handling, ride quality, and, driver confidence.

I’d just like to know if my 16 Z06 (when all safety systems are on) is just as safe w/o the update.
If you read my writeup above you'll see I wrote that the steering feels more twitchy in Tour mode after the update. Then again, it might be that I drive mostly in Sport mode so I am not used to the Tour mode steering.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:00 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMMMMM
Does the $350 MRC update have any effect on safety, which is Stabilitrak (or “active handling”), and, ABS? The write-up only seems to mention handling, ride quality, and, driver confidence.

I’d just like to know if my 16 Z06 (when all safety systems are on) is just as safe w/o the update.
Hmm, do you really expect anyone at GM to say something added is safer? That would mean what you have is less safe. Sounds like a question lawyers love to ask to get you to start down a slippery slope!

"So you sold my poor client a product you knew could be made safer!"
Old 12-26-2017, 05:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The update can't possibly have any effect on steering, stability control, or ABS systems. It's simply a re-flash of the MSRC controller whose only function is to adjust the relative softness/firmess of the MSRC shocks, in response to sensor inputs coming into the controller.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-26-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh
The update can't possibly have any effect on steering, stability control, or ABS systems. It's simply a re-flash of the MSRC controller whose only function is to adjust the relative softness/firmess of the MSRC shocks, in response to sensor inputs coming into the controller.
It sounds like you failed to read the entire response by Jim Mero. In it he specifically states:

"Handling is more responsive and much more precise. The response of the vehicle is more exact reacting to driver steering inputs."
Old 12-26-2017, 07:12 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

To me the steering is way too light in tour mode even without the update. That's probably what you feel as twitchy.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:59 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
To me the steering is way too light in tour mode even without the update. That's probably what you feel as twitchy.
I had driven in Touring mode without the update and did not feel that it was as twitchy as after the update. That's why I expressed it in my review above. Other people may have different opinions, but that's mine. Hopefully my feedback is useful to other considering the update. The steering was just one part of my review.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
It was a good review, thanks. I had driven my 2014 Z51 in Sport almost all the time (it was a non mag shock.) When I got my 2017 Grand Sport found Sport was a stiffer ride than my 2014 (as GM validates) so I drive in Touring. Felt the steering assist was too light so have it set in always Sport where it feels about the same as the 2014 set in Sport.

From your other comments, although my 2017 Grand Sport apparently has some of the new features I'll get the upgrade when available.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-26-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:49 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Speednet
It sounds like you failed to read the entire response by Jim Mero. In it he specifically states:

"Handling is more responsive and much more precise. The response of the vehicle is more exact reacting to driver steering inputs."
Oh, I've now read it about 20 times because of my other questions posted above.

It sounds like you either didn't understand my point, or the effect on handling of various shock (damper) and suspension settings. MSRC settings don't influence steering settings per se, but of course, handling differences can fool you into thinking steering settings are different. A better handling car, will make you think steering has suddenly gotten more precise even though it hasn't changed. In that case, it's the suspension making it feel more precise.

I have a DSC Sport controller on my car, which by most accounts has a more dramatic effect on the MSRC system than even the latest OEM updates, and steering feel is light in Tour regardless of shock settings. However, even though the feel is light, I find my car's steering response to be very precise in Tour as well and not "twitchy" at all.

I've always felt that if steering is reported to be "twitchy" it's either because the alignment and suspension is not set up as well as it should be, or because one's driving style is "twitchy," AKA not as smooth as it could be. A firmer steering feel can help those folks who tend to be "twitchy."

Last edited by Foosh; 12-27-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:38 AM
vette friend
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Oh, I've now read it about 20 times because of my other questions posted above.

It sounds like you either didn't understand my point, or the effect on handling of various shock (damper) and suspension settings. MSRC settings don't influence steering settings per se, but of course, handling differences can fool you into thinking steering settings are different. A better handling car, will make you think steering has suddenly gotten more precise even though it hasn't changed. In that case, it's the suspension making it feel more precise.

I have a DSC Sport controller on my car, which by most accounts has a more dramatic effect on the MSRC system than even the latest OEM updates, and steering feel is light in Tour regardless of shock settings. However, even though the feel is light, I find my car's steering response to be very precise in Tour as well and not "twitchy" at all.

I've always felt that if steering is reported to be "twitchy" it's either because the alignment and suspension is not set up as well as it should be, or because one's driving style is "twitchy," AKA not as smooth as it could be. A firmer steering feel can help those folks who tend to be "twitchy."
In a roundabout way, you’ve made Mero’s point.

The steering is a sum of the influences that add up to the feel the driver has between the steering wheel and the tire patch. There are a lot of components that factor into steering “feel”. In this case we are talking about the dampers, which are one of the major components.

As I’ve stated before, MRC has a handling algorithm called Transient Roll. It can be tuned by steering wheel angle acceleration, lateral acceleration and vehicle speed. For each of these variables the front and rear compression and rebound are individually adjusted.

So the observations made above are not because the driver “thinks” or is “fooled” into thinking the steering is better, or has enhanced response, but it is because the steering feel has improved.

Relative to the car feeling twitchy, that is a factor on individual driving style. I have several friends with C7’s. As an ex development engineer, to a fault, I always observe their driving character. I rode 4 hours with the one who loves the steering in tour. He drove around 95% of the time with one hand using his thumb and index finger. The other extreme is a friend who uses 2 hands all the time with a pretty firm grip. He never uses tour because based on his driving character; he naturally feels the car is too light in tour which can also be defined as twitchy.
The following 3 users liked this post by vette friend:
Al3x_666 (01-02-2018), JerryU (12-27-2017), Speednet (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 10:29 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,684 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Great info! I definitely will be getting this next time I'm in at the dealership.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vette friend
In a roundabout way, you’ve made Mero’s point.

The steering is a sum of the influences that add up to the feel the driver has between the steering wheel and the tire patch. There are a lot of components that factor into steering “feel”. In this case we are talking about the dampers, which are one of the major components.

As I’ve stated before, MRC has a handling algorithm called Transient Roll. It can be tuned by steering wheel angle acceleration, lateral acceleration and vehicle speed. For each of these variables the front and rear compression and rebound are individually adjusted.

So the observations made above are not because the driver “thinks” or is “fooled” into thinking the steering is better, or has enhanced response, but it is because the steering feel has improved.

Relative to the car feeling twitchy, that is a factor on individual driving style. I have several friends with C7’s. As an ex development engineer, to a fault, I always observe their driving character. I rode 4 hours with the one who loves the steering in tour. He drove around 95% of the time with one hand using his thumb and index finger. The other extreme is a friend who uses 2 hands all the time with a pretty firm grip. He never uses tour because based on his driving character; he naturally feels the car is too light in tour which can also be defined as twitchy.
I'm in complete agreement, but all I was trying to say in the my original post, which started this discussion, is that the steering setting is not changed by MSR controller programing. Rotating the mode control **** from Tour > Sport > Track does change the steering setting (boost), just as it changes other settings, but that's not a function of the MSRC setting.

I wasn't commenting on Mero's observations at all. As I also said, obviously a better handling car will have a more precise steering feel regardless of boost setting.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-27-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:49 AM
Motors5
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
Default [ANSWERED] Magnetic Ride Performance Calibrations

Will the updates be available for European models also?

I have a "European model" 2017 Z51 mag ride and I think this has a different setting than US version from the factory (harder damping setting). (also the bigger mirrors, headlight washers etc).

Will there be an update also for European models? Part of the reason why I did not buy an import vehicle is that I wanted the stiffer European suspension setting.

I like the settings today with big differences between Tour/Sport and Track modes but if there is an updated algorithm for it to be even more subtle in the three modes it would be welcome!

Cant wait for spring to take the car out of hibernation!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:29 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

This is the kind of answer I like to see.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:05 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks Jim and Tadge!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for clarifying a confusing topic!
Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Ok , does the 2017 Z I just purchased need the update, and when will it be available??
Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 PM
ffr1352
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I have gotten the update on both my 16 Z06's and am very satisfied with the improved ride in tour mode. Job well done Tadge and Jim. I also appreciate your detailed responses to questions on the Corvette Forum and willingness to entertain owners questions at the annual corvette bash.

Now if you could just improve the throttle response to be instant like a carbureted engine in acceleration and deceleration i would be smitten : )

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] Magnetic Ride Performance Calibrations

Old 02-10-2018, 10:45 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,811 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

This just came out for the 2014 MY. Since most all of the 2014s are out of warranty, the OP code is not allowing the labor to be charged to the installation.

Is this an error?
Old 02-10-2018, 11:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ffr1352
I have gotten the update on both my 16 Z06's and am very satisfied with the improved ride in tour mode. Job well done Tadge and Jim. I also appreciate your detailed responses to questions on the Corvette Forum and willingness to entertain owners questions at the annual corvette bash.

Now if you could just improve the throttle response to be instant like a carbureted engine in acceleration and deceleration i would be smitten : )
Yep they could do that OR you could add a simple Throttle Controller.

I had driven my non MRC Z51 C7 for 3 1/2 years and was used to the max throttle response since I drove in Sport. When I got my Grand Sport set the steering to always Sport and NPP to always Track. But no such option for throttle response. In fact for the 2017 I needed to have it in Track to get max throttle response. Driving in Track on the street will rattle your teeth!

Solved the problem with a Vitesse Throttle Controller! In fact I can set the Throttle Response far more aggressive than I have the Holley 850 on my 502 cid BB in my street rod! That 850 is a "Double Pumper" with two 50 cc accelerator pumps and the right pump cams (fast but not full volume dump) so it doesn't get too rich-but yet no bog or stumble! The 850 carburetor is cable operated but throttle-by-wire control is NOT the feature that is slower, it's the response programming! Note below a 25% foot peddle opening can open the throttle 50% if programmed to do it! The OEM is probably more like that shown, a 25% peddle opening only opens the throttle 12%!

This is a PDF of my install: http://netwelding.com/Throttle_Control.pdf

Below are a few pics from that pic/text doc.

In 2014 only had to drive in Sport to get max Throttle Response. It was a non MRC so ride was no issue but liked the Steering and "nanny response." In 2017 have to be in Track mode to get max response. After driving in Sport in my 2014 for 3 1/2 years my Grand Sport was NOT acceptable to me!

Note, in Touring where I drive the Grand Sport the throttle response is slow. Could set the Vitesse Controller to what I call "Boy Racer" at 9 but 4 or 5 setting is fine for me. At 5 feels like the 2014 set at Sport (= Track.)

Last edited by JerryU; 02-11-2018 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:02 PM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

great explanation. There was no mention of an update to the c6 zr1s. Any idea why it would not be available for them?

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Magnetic Ride Performance Calibrations