Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] New oil fill 0w40

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 01:08 AM
TOMZE
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Bulletin 18-NA-129, April 20, 2018 specifically states the 0W40 oil is permitted in ALL C7 Corvettes, except the LT5. Two dealerships tried to tell me I was on the hook for the difference between the previously recommended oil and the 0W-40, stating the price of the new oil is over $11.00 per liter. The Corvette Quality engineer was upset, telling me the dealer cost is only $0.55 different. He called the two dealers and straightened them out. I had the oil on my 2016 Z51 changed on Thursday with the 0W40 Mobil 1, for no cost.

Last edited by TOMZE; 04-30-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:00 AM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMZE
Bulletin 18-NA-129, April 20, 2018 specifically states the 0W40 oil is permitted in ALL C7 Corvettes, except the LT5. Two dealerships tried to tell me I was on the hook for the difference between the previously recommended oil and the 0W-40, stating the price of the new oil is over $11.00 per liter. The Corvette Quality engineer was upset, telling me the dealer cost is only $0.55 different. He called the two dealers and straightened them out. I had the oil on my 2016 Z51 changed on Thursday with the 0W40 Mobil 1, for no cost.
Bulletin 18-NA-129 is not available anywhere on the 'net where the general public can review and copy it.

Do you understand that your anecdotal recollection about a "Corvette Quality engineer" does no-one else any good? You can be the nicest guy on the Corvette Forum, but I can't take your unsupported opinion to the dealer as any proof of anything!

Did you read this post from one of our Premium Supporting Dealers?

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Actually GM released a bulletin a couple months ago stating the new oil would be required, but most dealers didn't order until there were 2019's being delivered.

We ordered a few dozen cases 2 months ago, received half a couple weeks ago and another 20 cases this week. It was back ordered from most of GM's oil suppliers, but they're delivering by the date the order was placed. If your dealer doesn't have it, they we're asleep at the wheel when it should have been ordered.

The new bulletin does say the new Mobil One ESP 0w40 is authorized for use in the 2014-2018 Corvettes as well, but there is nothing about them covering it under warranty. As I understand it currently, owners are OK to use the new oil, but it's not covered under the maintenance plan.

The new oil is a little more expensive and we typically lose $3-$6 dollars on every 5w30 Mobil One oil change we do so losing more for an oil that's not required is not going to happen.

It will likely be a while. GM stated it's currently for use only when performing oil changes at the dealership. We are not allowed to sell over the counter as of yet.

GM probably doesn't want owners of 2014-2018 Corvettes thinking they need the new oil and buying it before owners of 2019 vehicles are able to get maintenance done on their vehicles that require it.

RICH
Old 04-30-2018, 11:34 AM
C7GrandSportC7
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Unfortunately, I agree.
In fact the bulletin specifically mentions only 2019 MY Corvettes.
A lawyer looking at the bulletin might even claim that GM is intentionally not authorizing 0W-40 for anything older than 2019, regardless of who is paying for the oil change.

I'm sure this will get straightened out some day, and any C7 will be allowed to use 0W-40 for both street and track. But not yet.
It's bizarre. With no engine modifications that I know of, why wouldn't they be more clear on this? I'm bringing my 2019 in for the 500-mile oil change on Thursday. I'll talk to the service manager and the parts manager and see if they have any insight.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:31 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
Bulletin 18-NA-129 is not available anywhere on the 'net where the general public can review and copy it.

Do you understand that your anecdotal recollection about a "Corvette Quality engineer" does no-one else any good? You can be the nicest guy on the Corvette Forum, but I can't take your unsupported opinion to the dealer as any proof of anything!

This is the first time I've been unable to find a GM bulletin by Google search, so perhaps there is some kind of typo in the "18-NA-129"?

More unfortunately, a "Corvette Quality Engineer" does not get to make warranty decisions, I'm not even sure that Tadge has full authority in that area. Bean counters run a lot of things.

As previously mentioned, I'm confident that the 0W-40 will eventually be approved for all C7's. But at this moment, anyone who uses it in a pre-2019 C7 is taking a very small chance of warranty denial.

Hopefully, we'll soon be able to read and print a copy of the bulletin and end the discussion.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:52 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

M1 has the new 0w-40 ESP up on the US website, now. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

I think the only reason they put it on the ESP brand is so they could charge more for it. The last thing a Corvette owner cares about is it's emissions system.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by BigVette427
M1 has the new 0w-40 ESP up on the US website, now. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

I think the only reason they put it on the ESP brand is so they could charge more for it. The last thing a Corvette owner cares about is it's emissions system.
GM cares, because they have to warranty the emissions system.
The following users liked this post:
C7GrandSportC7 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

And we should care too, because fixing that emissions system once out of warranty can get expensive. And oils that are good for the emissions system are also cleaner so you will have less deposits inside your engine, something very important for direct injected engines.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:45 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

May 1st Update.
I just have returned from my 2nd/final 2 year scheduled free maintenance oil change, and I was able to get a fill with the 0W40 Part #19353135

Some things that may have helped my case:

1) Before setting the appointment, I called the service manager directly, and asked something like "are you willing to refill with the new Mobil1 OW40 Dexos 2 oil (Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40) is that is also the recommended oil for all C7's prior to 2019?"? He answered in the affirmative, so I scheduled my appointment.

2) Prior to the service event, I had ordered and installed the new GM 0W40 oil filler cap {thanks Trunk Monkey (Suburban Chev) }
So, when the service writer opened the hood, I observed him looking specifically at the cap, and he came back to the desk to remark that for sure, the engine has a 0W40 oil cap.

So, the service event went as planned. My 2016 Stingray has 0W40 oil, and we're ready for a summer of fun!
The following 3 users liked this post by fnbrowning:
C7GrandSportC7 (05-03-2018), froggy47 (05-01-2018), mlr6pak (05-14-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:19 PM
TOMZE
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the oil change done at Jack Maxton Chevrolet in Columbus Ohio. They used the new 0W40 Mobil 1, as per the quoted bulletin. There was no up-charge.The bulletin is dated April 20, 2018. I have no idea how long it takes to hit the net. Originally Maxton was going to charge me the retail difference for the oil, but a call from the un-named (per his request) quality engineer straightened that out. Additionally I was going to have my regular dealer (Byers Chevrolet, Grove City, Ohio) do the service, but they didn't have the oil in stock. My oil life was down to 9%, so I went to the closest dealer that had the oil. The service tech at Byers read the bulletin to me. It does state all C7 LT1 and LT4 cars regardless of year can use the new oil. I lucked into a golden connection at GM. I have to respect his request to not name him. When I contacted him about the up-charge, he called both dealerships and resolved that concern. He even told Byers he'd contact Mobil 1 and have some oil expedited to them, as my oil change was nearly at limits. I did the research, found the connection, explained the issue and facilitated having the bulletin issued. Unfortunately I can't hand this to you on a silver platter, but the work has been done. Take some initiative and press the issue for yourself. The heavy lifting has been done.

Last edited by TOMZE; 05-01-2018 at 10:20 PM.
C7GrandSportC7 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:48 AM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

I had the oil change done at Jack Maxton Chevrolet in Columbus Ohio. They used the new 0W40 Mobil 1, as per the quoted bulletin. - [snip] - Unfortunately I can't hand this to you on a silver platter, but the work has been done. Take some initiative and press the issue for yourself. The heavy lifting has been done.
All that good information, and unfortunately, you had to end your post with unnecessary snark.

To use your own works, no-one every asked you to hand this on a silver platter. Take some initiative and read an entire thread column for yourself before posting. I didn't need your "heavy lifting" and my work was already complete before you set your fingers to the keyboard.

Last edited by fnbrowning; 05-02-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: needed some rolleyes
Old 05-02-2018, 01:19 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

All that good information, and unfortunately, you had to end your post with unnecessary snark.

To use your own works, no-one every asked you to hand this on a silver platter. Take some initiative and read an entire thread column for yourself before posting. I didn't need your "heavy lifting" and my work was already complete before you set your fingers to the keyboard.
I didn't see where his post was being snarky, but I do see where this is. He looked to be saying he had laid the ground work from a source that didn't want to be mentioned by name, and if you called you would most likely get the same service.
ensignlee (07-19-2019)
Old 05-03-2018, 02:14 AM
C7GrandSportC7
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Applications

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 has the General Motors Service Fill dexos2™ approval, which is required for all 2010 and onward new GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline models. GM/Opel have advised that dexos2™ specification is backward compatible to older GM/Opel specifications (GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025). The majority of GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline vehicles can use dexos2™ lubricants.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp
Old 05-03-2018, 12:53 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by C7GrandSportC7

Applications

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 has the General Motors Service Fill dexos2™ approval, which is required for all 2010 and onward new GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline models. GM/Opel have advised that dexos2™ specification is backward compatible to older GM/Opel specifications (GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025). The majority of GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline vehicles can use dexos2™ lubricants.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp
My oil fill cap 2013 z06 says Mobil 1 5w-30. Nothing about dexos1 or dexos2.

Is it supposed to say that?

I know the car was built before the oil was invented.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2018, 10:21 AM
mlr6pak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
Thanks for the reply, now I just have to find who sells it.
During the 2018 BASH the Mobile 1 Rep said only the Dealerships are acquiring said oil till there is a surplus in the system as it is still being MFGRd in Texas.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 AM
mlr6pak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May 1st Update.
I just have returned from my 2nd/final 2 year scheduled free maintenance oil change, and I was able to get a fill with the 0W40 Part #19353135

1) Before setting the appointment, I called the service manager directly, and asked something like "are you willing to refill with the new Mobil1 OW40 Dexos 2 oil (Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40) is that is also the recommended oil for all C7's prior to 2019?"? He answered in the affirmative, so I scheduled my appointment.

2) Prior to the service event, I had ordered and installed the new GM 0W40 oil filler cap {thanks Trunk Monkey (Suburban Chev) }
So, when the service writer opened the hood, I observed him looking specifically at the cap, and he came back to the desk to remark that for sure, the engine has a 0W40 oil cap.

So, the service event went as planned. My 2016 Stingray has 0W40 oil, and we're ready for a summer of fun!
Thanks for sharing your oil cap. I got mine from the Mobile 1 rep at the 2018 BASH however it didn't fit the OEM dual channel oil cap. I did get my dermal and performed a fabrication to include this second channel to install it onto the engine.

Tim
Old 05-25-2018, 08:04 PM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

May 1st Update.

What is the part number for the new 0/40w cap?
Old 05-25-2018, 08:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Here's the "oil cap chronology" from our 2017 Z51.
First time I ever replaced a factory oil cap.
Factory cap, Mobil-1 cap, 0W-40 cap.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To [ANSWERED] New oil fill 0w40

Old 05-25-2018, 08:24 PM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I can't find that bulletin in the Corvette Action Center Knowledgebase. Can you please post a link to that bulletin?
Old 05-25-2018, 08:32 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ptalar
I can't find that bulletin in the Corvette Action Center Knowledgebase. Can you please post a link to that bulletin?
Don't feel bad, I couldn't find it anywhere either. But it's real, my dealer finally found it and someone posted a copy in one of the various threads about the 0W-40.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:02 AM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by ptalar
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597257192

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] New oil fill 0w40