[ANSWERED] New oil fill 0w40 - Page 6 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Ask Tadge Post your questions here for Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter and then discuss the questions and his answers.

[ANSWERED] New oil fill 0w40

Reply

 
 
 
Old 04-30-2018, 01:08 AM
  #101  
TOMZE
CF Member
 
TOMZE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Posts: 72
Thanked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Bulletin 18-NA-129, April 20, 2018 specifically states the 0W40 oil is permitted in ALL C7 Corvettes, except the LT5. Two dealerships tried to tell me I was on the hook for the difference between the previously recommended oil and the 0W-40, stating the price of the new oil is over $11.00 per liter. The Corvette Quality engineer was upset, telling me the dealer cost is only $0.55 different. He called the two dealers and straightened them out. I had the oil on my 2016 Z51 changed on Thursday with the 0W40 Mobil 1, for no cost.

Last edited by TOMZE; 04-30-2018 at 01:09 AM.
TOMZE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:00 AM
  #102  
fnbrowning
CF Senior Member
 
fnbrowning's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 990
Thanked 42 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TOMZE View Post
Bulletin 18-NA-129, April 20, 2018 specifically states the 0W40 oil is permitted in ALL C7 Corvettes, except the LT5. Two dealerships tried to tell me I was on the hook for the difference between the previously recommended oil and the 0W-40, stating the price of the new oil is over $11.00 per liter. The Corvette Quality engineer was upset, telling me the dealer cost is only $0.55 different. He called the two dealers and straightened them out. I had the oil on my 2016 Z51 changed on Thursday with the 0W40 Mobil 1, for no cost.
Bulletin 18-NA-129 is not available anywhere on the 'net where the general public can review and copy it.

Do you understand that your anecdotal recollection about a "Corvette Quality engineer" does no-one else any good? You can be the nicest guy on the Corvette Forum, but I can't take your unsupported opinion to the dealer as any proof of anything!

Did you read this post from one of our Premium Supporting Dealers?

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 View Post
Actually GM released a bulletin a couple months ago stating the new oil would be required, but most dealers didn't order until there were 2019's being delivered.

We ordered a few dozen cases 2 months ago, received half a couple weeks ago and another 20 cases this week. It was back ordered from most of GM's oil suppliers, but they're delivering by the date the order was placed. If your dealer doesn't have it, they we're asleep at the wheel when it should have been ordered.

The new bulletin does say the new Mobil One ESP 0w40 is authorized for use in the 2014-2018 Corvettes as well, but there is nothing about them covering it under warranty. As I understand it currently, owners are OK to use the new oil, but it's not covered under the maintenance plan.

The new oil is a little more expensive and we typically lose $3-$6 dollars on every 5w30 Mobil One oil change we do so losing more for an oil that's not required is not going to happen.

It will likely be a while. GM stated it's currently for use only when performing oil changes at the dealership. We are not allowed to sell over the counter as of yet.

GM probably doesn't want owners of 2014-2018 Corvettes thinking they need the new oil and buying it before owners of 2019 vehicles are able to get maintenance done on their vehicles that require it.

RICH
fnbrowning is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:34 AM
  #103  
C7GrandSportC7
CF Member
 
C7GrandSportC7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: Norwalk CT
Posts: 62
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Unfortunately, I agree.
In fact the bulletin specifically mentions only 2019 MY Corvettes.
A lawyer looking at the bulletin might even claim that GM is intentionally not authorizing 0W-40 for anything older than 2019, regardless of who is paying for the oil change.

I'm sure this will get straightened out some day, and any C7 will be allowed to use 0W-40 for both street and track. But not yet.
It's bizarre. With no engine modifications that I know of, why wouldn't they be more clear on this? I'm bringing my 2019 in for the 500-mile oil change on Thursday. I'll talk to the service manager and the parts manager and see if they have any insight.
C7GrandSportC7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:31 PM
  #104  
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Gearhead Jim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 19,965
Thanked 444 Times in 296 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default

Originally Posted by fnbrowning View Post
Bulletin 18-NA-129 is not available anywhere on the 'net where the general public can review and copy it.

Do you understand that your anecdotal recollection about a "Corvette Quality engineer" does no-one else any good? You can be the nicest guy on the Corvette Forum, but I can't take your unsupported opinion to the dealer as any proof of anything!

Did you read this post from one of our Premium Supporting Dealers?
This is the first time I've been unable to find a GM bulletin by Google search, so perhaps there is some kind of typo in the "18-NA-129"?

More unfortunately, a "Corvette Quality Engineer" does not get to make warranty decisions, I'm not even sure that Tadge has full authority in that area. Bean counters run a lot of things.

As previously mentioned, I'm confident that the 0W-40 will eventually be approved for all C7's. But at this moment, anyone who uses it in a pre-2019 C7 is taking a very small chance of warranty denial.

Hopefully, we'll soon be able to read and print a copy of the bulletin and end the discussion.
Gearhead Jim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:52 PM
  #105  
BigVette427
CF Senior Member
 
BigVette427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Location: Hill Country Texas
Posts: 686
Thanked 105 Times in 73 Posts
Default

M1 has the new 0w-40 ESP up on the US website, now. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

I think the only reason they put it on the ESP brand is so they could charge more for it. The last thing a Corvette owner cares about is it's emissions system.
BigVette427 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:42 PM
  #106  
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Gearhead Jim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 19,965
Thanked 444 Times in 296 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default

Originally Posted by BigVette427 View Post
M1 has the new 0w-40 ESP up on the US website, now. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

I think the only reason they put it on the ESP brand is so they could charge more for it. The last thing a Corvette owner cares about is it's emissions system.
GM cares, because they have to warranty the emissions system.
Gearhead Jim is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gearhead Jim For This Useful Post:
C7GrandSportC7 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:37 AM
  #107  
Patman
CF Senior Member
 
Patman's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 12,639
Thanked 916 Times in 559 Posts
Default

And we should care too, because fixing that emissions system once out of warranty can get expensive. And oils that are good for the emissions system are also cleaner so you will have less deposits inside your engine, something very important for direct injected engines.
Patman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:45 PM
  #108  
fnbrowning
CF Senior Member
 
fnbrowning's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 990
Thanked 42 Times in 20 Posts
Default

May 1st Update.
I just have returned from my 2nd/final 2 year scheduled free maintenance oil change, and I was able to get a fill with the 0W40 Part #19353135

Some things that may have helped my case:

1) Before setting the appointment, I called the service manager directly, and asked something like "are you willing to refill with the new Mobil1 OW40 Dexos 2 oil (Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40) is that is also the recommended oil for all C7's prior to 2019?"? He answered in the affirmative, so I scheduled my appointment.

2) Prior to the service event, I had ordered and installed the new GM 0W40 oil filler cap {thanks Trunk Monkey (Suburban Chev) }
So, when the service writer opened the hood, I observed him looking specifically at the cap, and he came back to the desk to remark that for sure, the engine has a 0W40 oil cap.



So, the service event went as planned. My 2016 Stingray has 0W40 oil, and we're ready for a summer of fun!
fnbrowning is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fnbrowning For This Useful Post:
C7GrandSportC7 (05-03-2018), froggy47 (05-01-2018), mlr6pak (05-14-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:19 PM
  #109  
TOMZE
CF Member
 
TOMZE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Posts: 72
Thanked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fnbrowning View Post
Bulletin 18-NA-129 is not available anywhere on the 'net where the general public can review and copy it.

Do you understand that your anecdotal recollection about a "Corvette Quality engineer" does no-one else any good? You can be the nicest guy on the Corvette Forum, but I can't take your unsupported opinion to the dealer as any proof of anything!

Did you read this post from one of our Premium Supporting Dealers?
I had the oil change done at Jack Maxton Chevrolet in Columbus Ohio. They used the new 0W40 Mobil 1, as per the quoted bulletin. There was no up-charge.The bulletin is dated April 20, 2018. I have no idea how long it takes to hit the net. Originally Maxton was going to charge me the retail difference for the oil, but a call from the un-named (per his request) quality engineer straightened that out. Additionally I was going to have my regular dealer (Byers Chevrolet, Grove City, Ohio) do the service, but they didn't have the oil in stock. My oil life was down to 9%, so I went to the closest dealer that had the oil. The service tech at Byers read the bulletin to me. It does state all C7 LT1 and LT4 cars regardless of year can use the new oil. I lucked into a golden connection at GM. I have to respect his request to not name him. When I contacted him about the up-charge, he called both dealerships and resolved that concern. He even told Byers he'd contact Mobil 1 and have some oil expedited to them, as my oil change was nearly at limits. I did the research, found the connection, explained the issue and facilitated having the bulletin issued. Unfortunately I can't hand this to you on a silver platter, but the work has been done. Take some initiative and press the issue for yourself. The heavy lifting has been done.

Last edited by TOMZE; 05-01-2018 at 10:20 PM.
TOMZE is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOMZE For This Useful Post:
C7GrandSportC7 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:48 AM
  #110  
fnbrowning
CF Senior Member
 
fnbrowning's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 990
Thanked 42 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TOMZE View Post
I had the oil change done at Jack Maxton Chevrolet in Columbus Ohio. They used the new 0W40 Mobil 1, as per the quoted bulletin. - [snip] - Unfortunately I can't hand this to you on a silver platter, but the work has been done. Take some initiative and press the issue for yourself. The heavy lifting has been done.
All that good information, and unfortunately, you had to end your post with unnecessary snark.

To use your own works, no-one every asked you to hand this on a silver platter. Take some initiative and read an entire thread column for yourself before posting. I didn't need your "heavy lifting" and my work was already complete before you set your fingers to the keyboard.

Last edited by fnbrowning; 05-02-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: needed some rolleyes
fnbrowning is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:19 PM
  #111  
WKM
CF Senior Member
 
WKM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Winterville North Carolina
Posts: 345
Thanked 73 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fnbrowning View Post
All that good information, and unfortunately, you had to end your post with unnecessary snark.

To use your own works, no-one every asked you to hand this on a silver platter. Take some initiative and read an entire thread column for yourself before posting. I didn't need your "heavy lifting" and my work was already complete before you set your fingers to the keyboard.
I didn't see where his post was being snarky, but I do see where this is. He looked to be saying he had laid the ground work from a source that didn't want to be mentioned by name, and if you called you would most likely get the same service.
WKM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:14 AM
  #112  
C7GrandSportC7
CF Member
 
C7GrandSportC7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: Norwalk CT
Posts: 62
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Applications

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 has the General Motors Service Fill dexos2™ approval, which is required for all 2010 and onward new GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline models. GM/Opel have advised that dexos2™ specification is backward compatible to older GM/Opel specifications (GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025). The majority of GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline vehicles can use dexos2™ lubricants.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp
C7GrandSportC7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:53 PM
  #113  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 9,671
Thanked 94 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C7GrandSportC7 View Post

Applications

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 has the General Motors Service Fill dexos2 approval, which is required for all 2010 and onward new GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline models. GM/Opel have advised that dexos2 specification is backward compatible to older GM/Opel specifications (GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025). The majority of GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline vehicles can use dexos2 lubricants.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp
My oil fill cap 2013 z06 says Mobil 1 5w-30. Nothing about dexos1 or dexos2.

Is it supposed to say that?

I know the car was built before the oil was invented.

Thanks!

froggy47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:21 AM
  #114  
mlr6pak
Junior Member
 
mlr6pak's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2018
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 22
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51 View Post
Thanks for the reply, now I just have to find who sells it.
During the 2018 BASH the Mobile 1 Rep said only the Dealerships are acquiring said oil till there is a surplus in the system as it is still being MFGRd in Texas.
mlr6pak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 AM
  #115  
mlr6pak
Junior Member
 
mlr6pak's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2018
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 22
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fnbrowning View Post
May 1st Update.
I just have returned from my 2nd/final 2 year scheduled free maintenance oil change, and I was able to get a fill with the 0W40 Part #19353135

Some things that may have helped my case:

1) Before setting the appointment, I called the service manager directly, and asked something like "are you willing to refill with the new Mobil1 OW40 Dexos 2 oil (Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40) is that is also the recommended oil for all C7's prior to 2019?"? He answered in the affirmative, so I scheduled my appointment.

2) Prior to the service event, I had ordered and installed the new GM 0W40 oil filler cap {thanks Trunk Monkey (Suburban Chev) }
So, when the service writer opened the hood, I observed him looking specifically at the cap, and he came back to the desk to remark that for sure, the engine has a 0W40 oil cap.



So, the service event went as planned. My 2016 Stingray has 0W40 oil, and we're ready for a summer of fun!
Thanks for sharing your oil cap. I got mine from the Mobile 1 rep at the 2018 BASH however it didn't fit the OEM dual channel oil cap. I did get my dermal and performed a fabrication to include this second channel to install it onto the engine.

Tim
mlr6pak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:04 PM
  #116  
ptalar
CF Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 50
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fnbrowning View Post
May 1st Update.
I just have returned from my 2nd/final 2 year scheduled free maintenance oil change, and I was able to get a fill with the 0W40 Part #19353135

Some things that may have helped my case:

1) Before setting the appointment, I called the service manager directly, and asked something like "are you willing to refill with the new Mobil1 OW40 Dexos 2 oil (Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40) is that is also the recommended oil for all C7's prior to 2019?"? He answered in the affirmative, so I scheduled my appointment.

2) Prior to the service event, I had ordered and installed the new GM 0W40 oil filler cap {thanks Trunk Monkey (Suburban Chev) }
So, when the service writer opened the hood, I observed him looking specifically at the cap, and he came back to the desk to remark that for sure, the engine has a 0W40 oil cap.



So, the service event went as planned. My 2016 Stingray has 0W40 oil, and we're ready for a summer of fun!
What is the part number for the new 0/40w cap?
ptalar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:15 PM
  #117  
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Gearhead Jim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 19,965
Thanked 444 Times in 296 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default

Here's the "oil cap chronology" from our 2017 Z51.
First time I ever replaced a factory oil cap.
Factory cap, Mobil-1 cap, 0W-40 cap.
Attached Images  
Gearhead Jim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:24 PM
  #118  
ptalar
CF Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Posts: 50
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TOMZE View Post
Bulletin 18-NA-129, April 20, 2018 specifically states the 0W40 oil is permitted in ALL C7 Corvettes, except the LT5. Two dealerships tried to tell me I was on the hook for the difference between the previously recommended oil and the 0W-40, stating the price of the new oil is over $11.00 per liter. The Corvette Quality engineer was upset, telling me the dealer cost is only $0.55 different. He called the two dealers and straightened them out. I had the oil on my 2016 Z51 changed on Thursday with the 0W40 Mobil 1, for no cost.
I can't find that bulletin in the Corvette Action Center Knowledgebase. Can you please post a link to that bulletin?
ptalar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:32 PM
  #119  
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Gearhead Jim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 19,965
Thanked 444 Times in 296 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default

Originally Posted by ptalar View Post
I can't find that bulletin in the Corvette Action Center Knowledgebase. Can you please post a link to that bulletin?
Don't feel bad, I couldn't find it anywhere either. But it's real, my dealer finally found it and someone posted a copy in one of the various threads about the 0W-40.
Gearhead Jim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:02 AM
  #120  
erick_e
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
erick_e's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: KY/TN
Posts: 2,271
Thanked 47 Times in 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16
Default

Originally Posted by ptalar View Post
I can't find that bulletin in the Corvette Action Center Knowledgebase. Can you please post a link to that bulletin?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597257192
erick_e is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
BlueDevilZ51
Ask Tadge
8
05-03-2018 02:16 AM
BKorsaire
C7 General Discussion
5
01-31-2018 04:51 PM
jimxms
C7 Tech/Performance
21
05-15-2017 09:02 PM
[email protected]
Ask Tadge
21
05-04-2016 02:58 PM

Forum Jump

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory