C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 ABSS not working. Chevy dealers won’t fix as part has been discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 11:59 PM
Ajrussell
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 ABSS not working. Chevy dealers won’t fix as part has been discontinued

2000 yellow coupe. ABSS is out. How do I know exactly what part to look for and find someone to install it
The following users liked this post:
mweaver (03-28-2019)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:56 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

Post where your location, good likelihood that someone in your area can recommend a shop for the work. For the parts your best bets are to contact Marc and co. at vettenuts and/or post a want to buy listing on the parts page for used units. Used active handling EBCMs run north of a $1K-buck.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Actually the non JL4 equipped cars have that button too. But it's labeled traction control, not active handling.

OP: Have you looked at the exact code it's throwing ?
A few weeks ago, while driving in the rain, I got the ABS/Traction Control light for the first time ever. I checked the code and it was for a wheel speed sensor out of range. I reset the code and it never came back. Probably anomalous. I'd make sure you really need another EBCM before you replace it.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:55 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:01 AM
Ajrussell
4th Gear

Default Thanks so much

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
Actually the non JL4 equipped cars have that button too. But it's labeled traction control, not active handling.

OP: Have you looked at the exact code it's throwing ?
A few weeks ago, while driving in the rain, I got the ABS/Traction Control light for the first time ever. I checked the code and it was for a wheel speed sensor out of range. I reset the code and it never came back. Probably anomalous. I'd make sure you really need another EBCM before you replace it.
We took it to a Chevy dealer for repair. They said it needed the ABSS replaced and they couldn't get the part. This is my husband's car and he can no longer drive it because of health reasons. It is a beautiful 2000 yellow corvette with low miles. I thought about selling it but didn't want someone to buy it if was dangerous to drive. So I thought I'd try to get it fixed up then sell it. No other problems other than it needs new tires. Do you think someone knowledgeable in Corvettes would want to buy it and fix it. Like I say, I don't want to sell to someone who doesn't realize this could be a problem. The light ABS comes on with squiggles like like a car laying rubber - only way I know how to describe it.

Thanks again

I will look at the car lights more carefully to get code.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:06 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajrussell
2000 yellow coupe. ABSS is out. How do I know exactly what part to look for and find someone to install it
http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/content/...ll_other_types

I use these guys do good work and not a bad price to fix or even replace ABS and more ..
Old 01-21-2018, 09:07 AM
Ajrussell
4th Gear

Originally Posted by redzg
Post where your location, good likelihood that someone in your area can recommend a shop for the work. For the parts your best bets are to contact Marc and co. at vettenuts and/or post a want to buy listing on the parts page for used units. Used active handling EBCMs run north of a $1K-buck.
I am located in Tulsa, OK. Thanks for responding
Old 01-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Ajrussell
4th Gear

Default ABSS Tulsa Ok

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
There are no new Electronic Brake Controller Modules (EBCM) available for 1997 - 2000 C5's. The EBCM for those years are also NOT repairable. You may see advertisements by those that claim they can repair the 97 - 2000 EBCM but I suggest Caveat Emptor in dealing with such companies/individuals....

Your ONLY choices are :

1) Find a used EBCM that matches the type in your C5.
2) Upgrade the system to the 2001 - 2004 type system.
3) Live without ABS.

For choice 1 you need to know if your car has the Active Handling RPO. If your car has the button on the left in the following pic then you have Active Handling and need the EBCM referred to as the V Code.

If your car does NOT have the Active Handling button pictured above then you need the EBCM referred to as the M Code.

Choice 2 is only possible if your car has the V Code EBCM and is NOT inexpensive or easily accomplished. Here is a link about that upgrade:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-success.html

Option 3 may be the more practical alternative unless the state/Province that you live in requires the ABS system to be working in order to pass inspection.

Of course there is always the alternative to sell the car.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I worry about selling it because I'm afraid it could be dangerous to anyone who buys it. It is a yellow coupe with low mileage and other than this issue, I know of no other problem other than it needs new tires. It is my husbands car and he can no longer drive or deal with its' issues due to health problems. He has owned corvettes for well over 30 years and loves them. It has been sitting in the garage for at least two years with me starting the car or changing batteries as needed. I will consider the alternatives you suggested and also look in the area of Tulsa, OK for persons who work on cars.

Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:37 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

If you plan on selling the car, I'd just sell it as is with full disclosure to the seller. I honestly don't think it's dangerous or that big of a deal to drive with inoperative ABS and active handling.

However I would pull the diagnostics code just to see what the specific problem is. I wouldn't trust a dealer. It very well could be a bad EBCM module, but it could be something else. Once you have the fault codes, post them here.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajrussell
We took it to a Chevy dealer for repair. They said it needed the ABSS replaced and they couldn't get the part. This is my husband's car and he can no longer drive it because of health reasons. It is a beautiful 2000 yellow corvette with low miles. I thought about selling it but didn't want someone to buy it if was dangerous to drive. So I thought I'd try to get it fixed up then sell it. No other problems other than it needs new tires. Do you think someone knowledgeable in Corvettes would want to buy it and fix it. Like I say, I don't want to sell to someone who doesn't realize this could be a problem. The light ABS comes on with squiggles like like a car laying rubber - only way I know how to describe it.

Thanks again

I will look at the car lights more carefully to get code.
First, the car isn't dangerous to drive without ABS. 99% of the time when you are driving you don't activate ABS. ABS keeps the wheels from locking up under hard braking or on slippery surfaces. This lets a driver attempt to steer around a problem while braking. However, most drivers just panic and drive into what ever is in front of them whether or not the ABS is working. When the ABS unit fails the car just defaults to driving like one that doesn't have ABS. If you are old enough you have plenty of experience driving cars without ABS because it didn't come into general use until the mid 80s. The cars built before then weren't dangerous because they didn't have ABS.

If the dealer said you needed a new module the only choice you have is to purchase a used module. There is nothing to say that 3 weeks after you spend a lot of $$ on the part that it won't fail or it could be bad when you receive it. Enjoy the car and don't worry about the ABS. If you don't want to see the light it might be possible to take the display apart and use some black paint to cover the light.

Bill
Old 01-22-2018, 05:29 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

If the dealer said you needed a new module the only choice you have is to purchase a used module. There is nothing to say that 3 weeks after you spend a lot of $$ on the part that it won't fail or it could be bad when you receive it. Enjoy the car and don't worry about the ABS.

Bill
Bill is 100% correct and now to put a "bummer" into the equation.
I have seen used ECBM units sell for up to $2000..yes you read that right and with no guarantee on the part because it's used.

Last edited by SG Lou; 01-22-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:59 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Choice 2 is only possible if your car has the V Code EBCM and is NOT inexpensive or easily accomplished. Here is a link about that upgrade:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-success.html

You can do it on both. There are extra wires on the SWPS that can be used to wire the yaw and accelerometer sensors. You just need to wire those sensors and mount them in the stock locations.

The rear mount module cars are the ones that would be much more difficult due to the newer module only being front mounted and not fitting the older module bracket.

Get notified of new replies

To 2000 ABSS not working. Chevy dealers won’t fix as part has been discontinued

Quick Reply: 2000 ABSS not working. Chevy dealers won’t fix as part has been discontinued