Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

8L90 backwards compatibility with Gen IV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:08 PM
yrkZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 8L90 backwards compatibility with Gen IV?

Hi Tadge and the GM staff,
I would like to know if the 8L90 transmission and more specifically the transmission controller is backwards compatible with the Gen IV PCM's aka powertrain control modules...?

I see that GMPP offers their own specific controller, and specify that it has to use a certain Gen V PCM in order for it to work.

Do both the Gen IV and V use the 29 bit gmlan protocols and are they compatible?

More specifically speaking corvette PCM if it matters.

I know that if you search for 8L90 swap that there are a lot of people that would much rather use the 8L90 in place of the 4LXX and even the 6LXX families for swaps and conversions.

If you do not currently have anything would it be possible to release something? Kind of the reverse of what you did with the Gen V that had the 6L80 until the 8L90 became available?

This would be very popular again with retrofits, and even people that are doing LS swaps.
Some 6 speed people who race tend to lean towards an automatic for consistency especially when they can shift in under 200 milliseconds

Thank you for your time...
Old 02-02-2018, 07:24 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I'm sorry, but we're not going to submit this to GM as it's referencing aftermarket swaps/mods/etc. Hopefully you understand that.

Quick Reply: 8L90 backwards compatibility with Gen IV?