[ANSWERED] Why has there been four different torque converter part numbers released? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Ask Tadge > Ask Tadge
Reload this Page >

[ANSWERED] Why has there been four different torque converter part numbers released?

Ask Tadge Post your questions here for Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter and then discuss the questions and his answers.

[ANSWERED] Why has there been four different torque converter part numbers released?

Old 02-09-2018, 01:11 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,304 Times in 377 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Facilitator
Default [ANSWERED] Why has there been four different torque converter part numbers released?

The original questions is here.

Maxie2U asked:
Since the introduction of the C7 there has been a total of four part numbers for the A8 torque converter: 24264542, 24273061, 24279495, and 24280631 in that order.

Can you explain why there were so many new part numbers released and what changes were made to the TC?
Tadge answered:
Thanks for the question, Maxie2U.

While four part numbers since launch may seem like a lot of design changes to a very important part of the car, it is not. The part numbers represent the initial release and 3 subsequent minor design tweaks. We change part numbers virtually every time we make a product change to enable us to track it through our supply, manufacturing and logistics systems. Many components on the car have a much larger design change history than the torque converter. None of these changes affect the customer experience or the performance of the torque converter. All of the part numbers are back-serviceable and fully interchangeable on any 8-speed Corvette with no other hardware, software or calibration changes required. All three changes were made at Manufacturing's request to make the torque converter easier to make. One change was a geometry tweak to the drive plate to improve the way steel chips resulting from machining operations fall away from the part. It essentially makes it easier to keep the assembly free of debris. Another change was to an internal spline on the stator. We added a chamfer or lead-in to help the male and female parts naturally align as the mating pieces come together. The final item is similar in nature. We modified the geometry of an internal seal to let the interfacing component self-align radially as it is assembled.

I'm guessing the concern behind the question is that the performance of the torque converters is different and everyone wants to know if they have or are getting the "best" one. Please let me assure you that from a customer experience point of view, there is absolutely no difference.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jvp For This Useful Post:
1950silverstreak (02-09-2018), GFaulk (02-09-2018), Kracka (02-15-2018), Speednet (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:16 PM
Maxie2U
CF Senior Member

With so many reported torque converter failures many of us hoped the reason for the three subsequent new part numbers was because the Corvette team made improvements and/or design changes to increase reliability and reduce the number of failures. Based on Tadge’s response it’s apparent that is not the case. Disappointing.

Now I’m doubly glad I purchased a 7 year GM extended warranty.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 02-09-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:52 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Maxie2U View Post
With so many reported torque converter failures many of us hoped the reason for the three subsequent new part numbers was because the Corvette team made improvements and/or design changes to increase reliability and reduce the number of failures. Based on Tadgeís response itís apparent that is not the case. Disappointing.

Now Iím doubly glad I purchased a 7 year GM extended warranty.
Oh, trust me, it IS related, and in typical corporate tap-dancing fashion, no admission of guilt will be forthcoming. Tadge knows full-well about the TC issues (my Son is having to deal with this on his 17' SS), yet he side-steps the failure issue to answer a question about TC perfomance, a question no one was asking..

Think about it; one of the delay / stall techniques sanctioned by GM is to "..repeatedly flush the trans and TC.." Hmm, let's see, why would you need to FLUSH something unless there was, wait for it, "DEBRIS from manufacturing" floating around in the assembly from the factory?

Two plus two is still four, even if GM would have you believe it is three..

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 02-10-2018 at 01:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan_the_C5_Man For This Useful Post:
WoodyP (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 02:13 PM
jimmyb
CF Senior Member

The question left too much wiggle room....
EVERYONE knows about the TC problems with the 8 speed auto (and it's NOT just Corvettes). The question should be: "Which one of these 4 torque converters actually WORKS?"
Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Maxie2U
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
The question left too much wiggle room....
EVERYONE knows about the TC problems with the 8 speed auto (and it's NOT just Corvettes). The question should be: "Which one of these 4 torque converters actually WORKS?"
I could not disagree more with your post. Even if I asked why so many failures followed by so many new releases we would have gotten the same response. Unfortunately Post#3 nailed it.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 02-10-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:54 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

I'm sorry you folks seem to know more than the Chief Engineer does, and that you don't appear to care for his answer. We're gonna go ahead and stop with the "witch hunts" here. Like: now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvp For This Useful Post:
lemobile (02-16-2018), ratflinger (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 03:28 PM
jimmyb
CF Senior Member

^^^^

I won't speak for the rest. I don't know more than Tadge, and have been one that supported him on everything. BUT...the TC issue on the A8 has been an ongoing issue and I don't think it's too much to ask which of these 4 TC's FIX the problem once and for all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmyb For This Useful Post:
Harris (02-12-2018), Maxie2U (02-11-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:54 PM
vettetwo
CF Senior Member

Tadge answered the question that was asked.

If you wanted to get his answer about issues, that is what you should have asked.
The Following User Says Thank You to vettetwo For This Useful Post:
lemobile (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Oh Boy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jvp View Post
I'm sorry you folks seem to know more than the Chief Engineer does, and that you don't appear to care for his answer. We're gonna go ahead and stop with the "witch hunts" here. Like: now.
WOW, now it's got to the point you can't even say you disagree with his answer. I thought this was a forum and in forums there are discussions pro and con. The questions lately have gotten really stupid with no insight into the car at all. What are you going to ask him next, what is the recommended air pressure for a C7? Why don't you call this section Ask Tadge A question of your C7. Of course a C7 because those are the only questions you will allow thru.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oh Boy For This Useful Post:
lemobile (02-16-2018), Maxie2U (02-15-2018), Xanthophyll (02-19-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 05:16 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Facilitator

Originally Posted by Oh Boy View Post
WOW, now it's got to the point you can't even say you disagree with his answer.
Not liking his answer is one thing and is perfectly OK. But to call it "corporate spin" or implying that he's covering something up isn't something I'm going to permit here. Specially when the folks participating aren't informed enough to make such statements.

If you don't appreciate the way I'm running this section, you are absolutely invited to try and run your own "Ask Tadge" on some other forum. Let me know how that works out for ya.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:16 PM
lemobile
CF Senior Member

My ZO6 is a 7 Speed manual, I sure don't have any torque converter issues. If you have an automatic 8 speed and no issues who care about the third update. If you have an issue and it was caused by debris during fabrication I am sure GM will replace with the latest one.
On means, time enjoy your automatic - Paddle shift. In theory, you are faster than me but I do have more fun shifting. Of course, my ZO6 is my weekend car, my everyday one is a Chevy Volt and they don't have a tranny.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,605 Posts

The problems encountered by some people may well have been due to problems in manufacturing. Changing the design slightly may make it easier to manufacture thus reducing problems in the field. I am sure anybody with experience in manufacturing has seen the same thing happen over and over. The design changes may have been suggested by the people who actually make the things.

Bill
Old 03-09-2018, 10:26 PM
lemobile
CF Senior Member

Default I fully agreed

Originally Posted by jvp View Post

How many automatic transmission is on the road? If they work stop crying, If it is broken they will fix it. Tadge explained some of the change who make sense to me.
Just enjoy your Corvette