Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Ask Tadge > Ask Tadge
Reload this Page >

[ASKED] Impact of leaving the ZR1 track cooling items installed on the street

Notices
Ask Tadge Post your questions here for Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter and then discuss the questions and his answers.

[ASKED] Impact of leaving the ZR1 track cooling items installed on the street

 
Old 05-11-2018, 12:13 PM
  #1  
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Poor-sha's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,321
Thanked 2,093 Times in 858 Posts
Default [ASKED] Impact of leaving the ZR1 track cooling items installed on the street

The C7 Z06 and the C7 ZR1 both come with secondary brake cooling ducts that the owner's manual states should be installed for track use and should be removed for street use. Additionally, the C7 ZR1 comes with exhaust cooling hardware that attaches to the tunnel plate and the owner's manual also recommends removing after the track event.

What are the risks associated with leaving this equipment in place during street operation?
Poor-sha is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poor-sha For This Useful Post:
DoctorV8 (05-12-2018), skank (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 12:32 PM
  #2  
dparm
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 176
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I feel like this was discussed once before, and the answer was "probably nothing, but those components are likely to rust or corrode over time".
dparm is offline  
Old 05-11-2018, 06:06 PM
  #3  
Questar
CF Senior Member
 
Questar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 506
Thanked 153 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I feel like this was discussed once before, and the answer was "probably nothing, but those components are likely to rust or corrode over time".
The brake cooling ducts, may have been discussed, but the exhaust cooling hardware is new to the ZR1 and I can't imagine that's been "discussed" yet, given it's only just becoming "known", now that they are shipping cars and have released the 2019 Owner's Manual.

In either event it would be very helpful if we could get Tadge to give us his answer on this. If all we are looking at is some premature corrosion I'd accept that and leave them in place.
Questar is offline  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:37 PM
  #4  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,643
Thanked 713 Times in 464 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
The C7 Z06 and the C7 ZR1 both come with secondary brake cooling ducts that the owner's manual states should be installed for track use and should be removed for street use. Additionally, the C7 ZR1 comes with exhaust cooling hardware that attaches to the tunnel plate and the owner's manual also recommends removing after the track event.

What are the risks associated with leaving this equipment in place during street operation?
I have a feelig this would be hard for Tadge to answer due to liability reasons..

Last edited by FYREANT; 05-11-2018 at 11:20 PM.
FYREANT is offline  
Old 05-11-2018, 11:17 PM
  #5  
69427
Tech Contributor
 
69427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Posts: 12,362
Thanked 181 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
The C7 Z06 and the C7 ZR1 both come with secondary brake cooling ducts that the owner's manual states should be installed for track use and should be removed for street use. Additionally, the C7 ZR1 comes with exhaust cooling hardware that attaches to the tunnel plate and the owner's manual also recommends removing after the track event.

What are the risks associated with leaving this equipment in place during street operation?
I'll admit my ignorance here. What's the exhaust cooling hardware all about?
69427 is offline  
Old 05-12-2018, 12:21 AM
  #6  
DoctorV8
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
DoctorV8's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,681
Thanked 44 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Excellent question....looking forward to Tadge's reply!
DoctorV8 is offline  
Old 05-13-2018, 02:29 PM
  #7  
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Poor-sha's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,321
Thanked 2,093 Times in 858 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
I have a feelig this would be hard for Tadge to answer due to liability reasons..
That is why I didn't ask him "is it ok to do this" and instead asked him "what are the risks to doing this".

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
I'll admit my ignorance here. What's the exhaust cooling hardware all about?
It looks like they are designed to funnel some air in to the tunnel where the exhaust is. Here is an excerpt from the owners manual.

Poor-sha is offline  
Old 05-13-2018, 03:20 PM
  #8  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,643
Thanked 713 Times in 464 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
That is why I didn't ask him "is it ok to do this" and instead asked him "what are the risks to doing this".



It looks like they are designed to funnel some air in to the tunnel where the exhaust is. Here is an excerpt from the owners manual.

Fair enough

Iím interested to see an actual photo of the underside of the ZR1 to see what the new cooling hardware looks like. The diagram doesnít seem to show it too well.

Ant
FYREANT is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:21 PM
  #9  
Questar
CF Senior Member
 
Questar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 506
Thanked 153 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
Fair enough

Iím interested to see an actual photo of the underside of the ZR1 to see what the new cooling hardware looks like. The diagram doesnít seem to show it too well.

Ant
Got a look at the underside of my car today while doing my 500 mile oil change at the dealership. Took a couple pictures of the new Exhaust Cooling Hardware (installed).




Questar is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Questar For This Useful Post:
IM4A2Z (06-25-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 10:29 PM
  #10  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,643
Thanked 713 Times in 464 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

Originally Posted by Questar View Post
Got a look at the underside of my car today while doing my 500 mile oil change at the dealership. Took a couple pictures of the new Exhaust Cooling Hardware (installed).




Thanks for the pics! Very interesting thinking about how these would work. Almost looks like it is blocking off the breather holes which you would think would make the exhaust run hotter!
FYREANT is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 11:52 AM
  #11  
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
jvp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: Oak Hill VA
Posts: 8,642
Thanked 1,618 Times in 439 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Facilitator
Default

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
Almost looks like it is blocking off the breather holes which you would think would make the exhaust run hotter!
Amateur aero guy here: my guess is that the deflectors are to help get the air out of the tunnel plate as quickly as possible until it gets to the very rear of the plate. It looks like any air coming through the tunnel plate will follow the holes out from under the plate given the aero disturbance the deflectors are causing: creating a slightly lower pressure "bubble", for lack of a better word, right under those holes.

The idea here is that the air surrounding the cats and exhaust pipes will get so hot while at WOT on the track that GM probably wants that out of the tunnel plate instead of going all the way back and cooking the exterior of the mufflers.

Just a guess. As to why GM suggests removing them for street driving, I'd expect it to be a ground clearance concern. But maybe we'll find out more if this gets submitted next week.
jvp is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jvp For This Useful Post:
FYREANT (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 01:14 PM
  #12  
Questar
CF Senior Member
 
Questar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 506
Thanked 153 Times in 95 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jvp View Post
Amateur aero guy here: my guess is that the deflectors are to help get the air out of the tunnel plate as quickly as possible until it gets to the very rear of the plate. It looks like any air coming through the tunnel plate will follow the holes out from under the plate given the aero disturbance the deflectors are causing: creating a slightly lower pressure "bubble", for lack of a better word, right under those holes.

The idea here is that the air surrounding the cats and exhaust pipes will get so hot while at WOT on the track that GM probably wants that out of the tunnel plate instead of going all the way back and cooking the exterior of the mufflers.

Just a guess. As to why GM suggests removing them for street driving, I'd expect it to be a ground clearance concern. But maybe we'll find out more if this gets submitted next week.
All sounds plausible, BUT, I think you are looking at the pics backwards. The covered holes are at the FRONT... so they are blocking some of the air entering at the front of the tunnel... the two deflectors then direct air up into the next two holes... my guess is to speed up air flow at the rear of the tunnel and force air to better flow out the back end... but that's just a pure guess.

I do hope that we might eventually get a better understanding of how these alterations work... and an explanation on why GM recommends removing them for street driving. I don't think ground clearance is the issue as they have SO LITTLE impact on clearance that it just doesn't appear to be the issue... at least not to my eye.

Hoping Tadge takes this up as a questions to answer for us.
Questar is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 01:56 PM
  #13  
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FYREANT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Location: Lehigh Acres FL
Posts: 5,643
Thanked 713 Times in 464 Posts
Tech Contributor
Default

Originally Posted by Questar View Post
All sounds plausible, BUT, I think you are looking at the pics backwards. The covered holes are at the FRONT...
Derp! You called it! I was lookig at them backwards! Now it totally makes sense lol
FYREANT is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 02:05 PM
  #14  
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
jvp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: Oak Hill VA
Posts: 8,642
Thanked 1,618 Times in 439 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Facilitator
Default

Originally Posted by FYREANT View Post
Derp! You called it! I was lookig at them backwards! Now it totally makes sense lol
I wasn't. :-) I was looking at them as spoilers not scoops.
jvp is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 01:59 PM
  #15  
Makitso
CF Senior Member
 
Makitso's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: layton Utah
Posts: 201
Thanked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Default

It looks like the additional tunnel hardware is to create a "Bernoulli effect", the scoops in the middle create a low pressure zone in the front of the tunnel and the block-off plates ensure that cooling air enters the front of the tunnel for max cooling effect. Based on my observation of the brake cooling system on my Z51, which puts a lot of sand inside my wheels, my guess as to why the cooling hardware is to be removed for street use is that the ZR1 would be an expensive street cleaner.
Makitso is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 09:26 PM
  #16  
village idiot
CF Senior Member
 
village idiot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,359
Thanked 638 Times in 440 Posts
Default

I just installed the chinese puzzle known as the extra z06 cooling ducts. Basically, they're very susceptible to getting knocked off/broken. Not exactly a very rigidly mounted piece. It's not ike you're gonna overcool your rotors.
village idiot is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to village idiot For This Useful Post:
IM4A2Z (06-25-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:43 PM
  #17  
Operations
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Operations's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2002
Location: Midland Texas
Posts: 1,708
Thanked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Good question, Iíd like to know
Operations is offline  
Old 06-26-2018, 03:57 PM
  #18  
oldfoggy
CF Senior Member
 
oldfoggy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2015
Location: Half Moon Bay Caifornia
Posts: 463
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I feel like this was discussed once before, and the answer was "probably nothing, but those components are likely to rust or corrode over time".
ducts are plastic
oldfoggy is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 11:05 AM
  #19  
dparm
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 176
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by oldfoggy View Post
ducts are plastic
We're not talking about the ducts in the grille or under the car, we're talking about the metal cooling rings that go on each wheel assembly, which GM says you have to remove.
dparm is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 11:22 AM
  #20  
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
jvp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: Oak Hill VA
Posts: 8,642
Thanked 1,618 Times in 439 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Facilitator
Default

Originally Posted by dparm View Post
We're not talking about the ducts in the grille or under the car, we're talking about the metal cooling rings that go on each wheel assembly, which GM says you have to remove.
We're actually not talking about those rings. We're specifically talking about the ducting that comes with the ZR1; that car doesn't come with the cooling rings.

Last edited by jvp; 06-29-2018 at 11:23 AM.
jvp is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jvp For This Useful Post:
Questar (06-29-2018)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ASKED] Impact of leaving the ZR1 track cooling items installed on the street


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.