Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

ZR1 Front Quarter Panel Design Changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:54 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts
Default ZR1 Front Quarter Panel Design Changes

I would like to hear Tadge's take on the new design feature of the wide-body style "front" quarter panels found on the ZR1. I have not read or heard anyone discuss this design deviation from the stock C7 wide body design that can be found on the Z06 and Grand Sport. Was this change a result of aeronautical engineering studies, computational fluid & thermal analysis, or was this change made just to mitigate issues related to stones and road debris being kicked up rearward outside toward the rear of the vehicle? I noticed the ZR1 did away with the wheel opening "spats" that where implemented since the 2017 model year. I would appreciate any insights learning about this little mentioned design change. Any possibilty this feature will be incorporated into the design of the 2020 model year Z06 and Grand Sport? It sure would aid in reducing road debris damage.

Derrick
aka MMD
The following users liked this post:
DoctorV8 (05-11-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 08:44 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MMD
I would like to hear Tadge's take on the new design feature of the wide-body style "front" quarter panels found on the ZR1. I have not read or heard anyone discuss this design deviation from the stock C7 wide body design that can be found on the Z06 and Grand Sport. Was this change a result of aeronautical engineering studies, computational fluid & thermal analysis, or was this change made just to mitigate issues related to stones and road debris being kicked up rearward outside toward the rear of the vehicle? I noticed the ZR1 did away with the wheel opening "spats" that where implemented since the 2017 model year. I would appreciate any insights learning about this little mentioned design change. Any possibilty this feature will be incorporated into the design of the 2020 model year Z06 and Grand Sport? It sure would aid in reducing road debris damage.

Derrick
aka MMD
Not to split hairs, but the spats have been around since the Z06 was introduced in 2015. Not 2017 as you mentioned. Also, I believe what you are referring to is actually the “fenders”. Quarter panels are a term typically used to refer to the “rear fenders” on a car.

Last edited by FYREANT; 05-04-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Not to split hairs, but the spats have been around since the Z06 was introduced in 2015. Not 2017 as you mentioned. Also, I believe what you are referring to is actually the “fenders”. Quarter panels are a term typically used to refer to the “rear fenders” on a car.
yep...splitting hairs. I stand corrected regarding the year. I have heard them referred as panels, front quarter panels, and fenders. It appears that these panels have been pushed outward as compared with the Z06 and GS fenders. Spats are not present either. I have not seen a ZR1 in person yet, but pictures seem to indicate this is true. The ZR1 panels seem to cover more of the tire than what you see on the Z06 and GS. I am wonderng if ZR1 owners are experiencing fewer issues with road rash due to debris being thrown rearward by the tires. Regards.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:49 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Fenders in the front, quarter panels in the rear.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:12 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Front right and front left quarter panels. Rear right and rear left quarter panels. There are four distinctly different different die's for all four. No such thing as a fender any more on the Corvette. Also, there is the front fascia and rear fascia.

Last edited by skank; 05-05-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:29 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Folks...please stop. This thread is not a discussion of panel names. If you want to continue to discuss this topic further then I would suggest you start your own thread in the General Discussion forum.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:24 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Derrick
aka MMD
Excellent question...the budget for the new front fenders really integrates the design and looks far less tacked on than the old spats.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Front Quarter Panel Design Changes

Quick Reply: ZR1 Front Quarter Panel Design Changes