Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ANSWERED] Conventional 5 lug nut wheels vs. forged center lock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 11:29 PM
Pzilly
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
As a consulting engineer occasionally asked to assess the liability of major retailers selling and installing tires or performing brake maintenance, after which a wheel comes off the hub, I once ran the following test:

My old Silverado with aluminum wheels with 5 lugs had a 100 lb-ft torque spec. I torqued two of the non-adjacent lug nuts to 100 lb-ft, and the other three to 40 lb-ft, and marked all of the nuts to determine if any would move. I drove for 4,000 miles with this configuration, and none of the nuts moved from their original positions.

Thank you Chevy engineers for the robust factor of safety against less-than-perfect maintenance practices.
Thanks for the test, but improper and uneven torque on wheel plugs is horrible on your rotors for warpage, and pretty shaky to risk your wheel coming off on a public road, ever seen a tire come off and hit a car...scary..
Old 09-25-2019, 09:33 PM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

As the owner of a 2015 center-lock 911 GTS, I concur with all that has been written above. A total PITA for no benefit, other than a racey-looking appearance. Love the car (as I do my C7 Z06 and upcoming C8), but regret being lured by the center-locks.

Quick Reply: [ANSWERED] Conventional 5 lug nut wheels vs. forged center lock wheels