C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 Track Mode without selecting PTM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 01:12 AM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default C7 Z06 Track Mode without selecting PTM?

What track mode setting is used if the mode selector dial is turned to track mode without pressing the traction control button twice to select a PTM mode?

Last edited by rcgldr; 09-21-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:04 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Been discussed ad nauseam. Search engine is your friend.

Do a Search in the C7 Forum on the three words, "track mode PTM". You'll get 12 threads answering your question.

Last edited by rikhek; 09-21-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:56 PM
rcgldr
Racer

I already did a search and found some of the threads. So far the answer seems to be that what you get by turning the dial to track and not selecting a PTM mode is "undefined", which is why I asked.

Last edited by rcgldr; 09-21-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:00 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by rcgldr
I already did a search and found some of the threads. So far the answer seems to be that what you get by turning the dial to track and not selecting a PTM mode is "undefined", which is why I asked.

On a private test day at the track I experimented with the PTM settings.

The behavior acts as though it's in the "dry" setting. I couldn't tell the difference between Dry and "nothing" selected in PTM.

Just my observation is all.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:23 PM
rcgldr
Racer

OK, after doing another search I found one post in one of the threads that stated turning the dial to track mode without selecting a PTM, sets the suspension to track mode / sport 1, but that traction control would be implemented using the brakes as opposed to cutting fuel, but the poster didn't mention where they got that information from. Some of the responses stated the result was "undefined", since for some of the parameters, the manual just states what is available without stating what the default setting is if a PTM mode is not selected. For example for both sport and track modes, the manual shows the ELSD is setup in "modes 2 & 3" (it's not clear to me what this means). For track mode, StabilityTrack shows as "Comp Mode Avail", and launch control and PTM modes show as "available". The manual seems to imply that a PTM mode needs to be selected to enable launch control, but I don't plan on using launch control or testing it.

Last edited by rcgldr; 09-21-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:59 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Originally Posted by rikhek
Do a Search in the C7 Forum on the three words, "track mode PTM". You'll get 12 threads answering your question.
I looked at some of the threads, with some of the answers stating they didn't know what it does ("undefined"), or in this thread that it felt like PTM dry mode, and one post that suspension was set to sport 1 and traction control set to use brakes only without cutting fuel, but that post did not state where that information came from. So at this point in my search, I haven't found a clear answer with a reference to where this information can be found.

Last edited by rcgldr; 09-21-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 PM
grandsport2017
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592059127

Found this by typing "c7 modes site:corvetteforum.com" into google search
Old 09-22-2018, 01:23 AM
rcgldr
Racer

Originally Posted by grandsport2017
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592059127

Found this by typing "c7 modes site:corvetteforum.com" into google search
The owners manual doesn't make it clear what sub-modes are selected by turning the dial to track mode without selecting a PTM. As mentioned before, Stabili Trak just notes Comp Mode Avail, which wouldn't apply to the Z06, since it uses PTM instead of Comp Mode. ELSD is noted as modes 2 & 3 for both sport and track mode, but there's no explanation for what those modes do or when mode 2 is used versus mode 3. Launch control is noted as available, but elsewhere in the manual, it implies that a PTM mode needs to be selected to enable launch control. PTM is noted as available, but there's no mention of some default setting if track mode is selected without also selecting a PTM mode. This is why I originally posted this in the Ask Tadge section.

So my best guess is from the earlier Ask Tadge answer for how the different PTM modes work. His answer notes that selecting a PTM provides information about the track surface (wet or dry) and implies that if a PTM mode is not selected, then the track surface condition is unknown and some tire spin is required in order to determine the conditions. However, this doesn't explain which of the 5 modes that track mode defaults to if selected without selecting a PTM, or if there's the equivalent of a 6th mode if track mode is selected without selecting a PTM mode.

Last edited by rcgldr; 09-22-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:27 AM
grandsport2017
Instructor

The owners manual doesn't make it clear what sub-modes are selected by turning the dial to track mode without selecting a PTM.
ELSD is noted as modes 2 & 3 for both sport and track mode, but there's no explanation for what those modes do or when mode 2 is used versus mode 3.
PTM is noted as available, but there's no mention of some default setting if track mode is selected without also selecting a PTM mode.
However, this doesn't explain which of the 5 modes that track mode defaults to if selected without selecting a PTM, or if there's the equivalent of a 6th mode if track mode is selected without selecting a PTM mode.
PTM is not active unless you select it after you get to Track mode. It just uses a Track calibration for the normal TC.

You can find info on the eLSD modes here. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1589482511. Here is the interesting part:
The eLSD is fully integrated with Electronic Stability Control and Performance Traction Management systems. Its calibrations vary among three modes, based on the Drive Mode Selector setting:
  • Mode 1 is the default setting for normal driving and emphasizes vehicle stability
  • Mode 2 is engaged when electronic stability control is turned off in the Sport or Track modes. This calibration enables more nimble turn-in and traction while accelerating out of a corner
  • Mode 3 is automatically selected when Performance Traction Management is engaged. This calibration has the same function as Mode 2, but is fine-tuned to work with Performance Traction Management.
Hope that helps.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:53 AM
rcgldr
Racer

PTM is not active unless you select it after you get to Track mode. It just uses a Track calibration for the normal TC.
You can find info on the eLSD modes here.
Thanks for the info. Since the manual shows modes 2 & 3 for sport mode, I assume that sport mode with electronic stability on is mode 3? (That would seem to conflict with the statement that mode 3 is fined tuned for PTM mode).

Last edited by rcgldr; 09-22-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:35 AM
grandsport2017
Instructor

Thanks for the info. Since the manual shows modes 2 & 3 for sport mode, I assume that sport mode with electronic stability on is mode 3? (That would seem to conflict with the statement that mode 3 is fined tuned for PTM mode).
Good question. My guess is that showing eLSD Mode 3 for Sport mode is an error in the manual and it should just show eLSD Mode 2.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Like I have said before it is undefined. You can experiment and see what you can get but there is no way to know for sure. Not sure it is anything to waste time wondering about. The 5 modes that are defined provide excellent selections for people running their cars on the track.
Bill
Old 09-22-2018, 05:27 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Good question. My guess is that showing eLSD Mode 3 for Sport mode is an error in the manual and it should just show eLSD Mode 2.
or possibly for sport mode eLSD should show modes 1 & 2 (instead of modes 2 & 3) (mode 1 stability on, mode 2 stability off).

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Like I have said before it is undefined. You can experiment and see what you can get but there is no way to know for sure. Not sure it is anything to waste time wondering about. The 5 modes that are defined provide excellent selections for people running their cars on the track.
I was just curious, and the fact that it's undefined is why I originally started this thread in the Ask Tadge section, but it got moved to this section.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:23 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Bill
I agree with Bill. I believe it to be undefined. I think I was the first one to ask that question years ago and to this day have not gotten an answer I believe is correct. I have gotten a whole bunch of guys guessing as well as trying to interpret from the pitiful info provided from the General. To this day I don't believe anyone definitively knows.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 Track Mode without selecting PTM?

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 Track Mode without selecting PTM?