Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Why was weather mode discontinued?

Old 05-09-2019, 12:00 AM
HMDS
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Why was weather mode discontinued?

I understand that “weather mode” was not included on the ZR1.

What was the reasoning for this, and

Will future corvettes, such as the C8, include selectable driver aids to help in low traction situations.

Thank you.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:19 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

It's probably a liability thing. Put the car in weather mode with super sticky, barely has any tread, barely street legal tires and idiot owner goes out in a monsoon and wrecks. Sues GM saying there is a 'weather mode' and it should work.
The following users liked this post:
speed4tu (07-12-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 05:36 PM
HMDS
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
It's probably a liability thing. Put the car in weather mode with super sticky, barely has any tread, barely street legal tires and idiot owner goes out in a monsoon and wrecks. Sues GM saying there is a 'weather mode' and it should work.
Maybe.

For the record, I AM that "idiot owner", have been in monsoons - many, couple of duststorms that I had to vacuum out the tumbleweed carcasses from the secondary radiator, a nasty, nasty hail storm that dented lesser vehicles, and driven on a solid sheet of interstate pack ice for 65 miles in my M7 Z at 55mph. All in W mode. I do not specifically pursue these events, but I also expect my car to be capable of handling the unanticipated basics of rain, snow, dark of night, etc - which it does wonderfully. I enjoyed the peace of mind the W mode gave me, but was it mostly a placebo effect? And I have been on the skidpad at Spring Mountain but that demo is a comparison between all nannies off vs. Weather mode, not Tour/Eco/Sport vs Weather mode.

I did see pix of the ZR1 prerelease in the snow, presumably without W mode and wonder - did GM improve the computer capability to not require a specific W setting, or something else like the wing is just too awesome to install W mode or maybe some liability analysis, which would likely not be answered. And were there compromises made when removing the W mode?

And then how does this relate to my upcoming C8? The all around capability of the C7 is actually pretty amazing.

Just wondering.

Get notified of new replies

To Why was weather mode discontinued?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why was weather mode discontinued?