Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Can Corvette offer a harness bar ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 10:15 AM
pistolpete817
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Can Corvette offer a harness bar ?

I race my car occasionally and need a six point safety harness. I ordered my C7 with competition seats specifically for racing and the ease of using the over the shoulder belts. It has worked out well. I like the seats. I have 40K miles on the car.

After the introduction of the C7, it was over a year before a third party harness bar for safety shoulder belt attachment was available.

Installing the harness bar to attach the shoulder belts involves taking the trunk area completely apart, cutting some holes in the plastic panels then putting it back again. It also involved several hours on the phone because there was a cable bundle creating an interference fit at one of the hard point mountings on the B pillar.

When I order a new Corvette, I will order the competition seats again. I would like to order it as part of a competition package that includes the seats and a factory installed harness bar. Those 3K$ seats are not much use without some way to connect your shoulder belts and you can’t enter many racing events without the safety harness. A factory installed harness bar would be well worth it.

Can Chevrolet offer a competition package with a harness bar for the C7 and future Corvette models?

Last edited by pistolpete817; 10-21-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Mistake in title
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 07:28 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by pistolpete817
Can Chevrolet offer a competition package with a harness bar for the C7 and future Corvette models?
I've had to shut these questions down before, and I hope you understand why. There's no way in hell we're sending this to Tadge. GM isn't going to offer restraints in the car other than what's required by law, for hopefully obvious reasons.

If it's not obvious, then you need to start thinking like a lawyer, not as a car guy.

Quick Reply: Can Corvette offer a harness bar ?