Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

Best Practice Recommendations for Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:26 PM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Best Practice Recommendations for Winter Storage

A lot of Corvette owners who are in snow belt prefers to store/garage their vettes for good 4-5 months during the winter. There are many recommendations floating in the forum on what one should do for storage (and many of them are based on outdated technologies of decades ago!). This question is to understand the best practice recommendations from Corvette engineering that would help prolong the life of various components.
Specific items:
1) Should we keep the fuel tank full or half or less? A recent article emphasized to keep it quarter full to prevent corrosion of the sensor in the tank. Any truth to that?
2) Is fuel stabilizer (e.g. STA-BIL) necessary?
3) Should the tires be inflated +5psi over the recommended level?
4) Would there be flat spotting of tires possible based on today's tire technology? If yes, how can one avoid it?
Please advise on any other aspect that owners should be aware of and take the preventive actions.

Thank you.

Last edited by flying_vette; 12-11-2018 at 02:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by flying_vette:
C6_Racer_X (12-15-2018), vettetwo (12-12-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 09:33 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by flying_vette
A lot of Corvette owners who are in snow belt prefers to store/garage their vettes for good 4-5 months during the winter. There are many recommendations floating in the forum on what one should do for storage (and many of them are based on outdated technologies of decades ago!). This question is to understand the best practice recommendations from Corvette engineering that would help prolong the life of various components.
Specific items:
1) Should we keep the fuel tank full or half or less? A recent article emphasized to keep it quarter full to prevent corrosion of the sensor in the tank. Any truth to that?
2) Is fuel stabilizer (e.g. STA-BIL) necessary?
3) Should the tires be inflated +5psi over the recommended level?
4) Would there be flat spotting of tires possible based on today's tire technology? If yes, how can one avoid it?
Please advise on any other aspect that owners should be aware of and take the preventive actions.

Thank you.
You can easily find answers to your questions if you use the search feature on this forum. I am confident that you would find many people would answer your questions 1-N (1/4 full is adequate), 2-Y (see Owners Manual for GM fuel additive to preclude sulphination of fuel tank send unit), 3-Y, 4-Y. These are the answers I have seen from some very good sources here on CF and other industry tire experts. Also, keep your battery on a charger (CTEK-3300) if the car is not being used for more than a week. Use aluminum foil to cover your exhaust tips if field mice and other rodents are an issue in your location. Some people use expensive car covers to cover their cars but I use the inexpensive 2 King sized cotton bed sheets. Pretty much covers most of your concerns.

Last edited by MMD; 12-15-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:18 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

The OP posted this question with the intent of getting an answer from Tadge. That is why it is posted in "Ask Tadge".

Last edited by vettetwo; 12-15-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:44 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vettetwo
The OP posted this question with the intent of getting an answer from Tadge. That is why it is posted in "Ask Tadge".
That may be but answers to questions posed are widely available on this forum.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:40 AM
flying_vette
Pro

^^MMD, not my first rodeo honestly, idea is to hear from Tadge and corvette engineering so that we can debunk many theories and hearsays 👍
The following users liked this post:
vettetwo (12-16-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 05:11 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I haven't looked lately, but: what's in the owner's manual regarding Winter Storage? They used to have entire sections set aside for it.
MMD (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:20 PM
flying_vette
Pro

All it says is to either disconnect the battery or use the tender. Here is a snippet:

Old 12-17-2018, 06:35 PM
vettetwo
Pro

There is one more reference to vehicle storage in the 2014 owners manual. It is for tires:
Old 12-17-2018, 07:21 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Cool. I suspect that's all Tadge will parrot since it's already published. I don't really see the need to submit this to him.
MMD (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:42 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jvp
Cool. I suspect that's all Tadge will parrot since it's already published. I don't really see the need to submit this to him.
Agree JVP. Tadge must have a lot on his plate now. There are numerous other questions people have far more important like my 5 year old grand daughter has. She wants to know if Tadge has a small stuffed fur-bear attached to his rear view mirror and she would like to know if Tadge likes stuffed giraffes. I had checked my Owner's manual and there is absolutely no references to this topic. Thanks and Merry Xmas.

Last edited by MMD; 12-17-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:54 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Originally Posted by jvp
It has been claimed that Engineering recommends less than 1/4 tank to avoid an issue with a fuel level sensor that is very expensive to fix. No one has produced a verified Engineering statement for this very important topic. What better source then the Chief Engineer for clarification and an explanation as to why the issue if as described cannot be fixed with a redesign to the sensor module.

Last edited by vettetwo; 12-17-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:15 PM
vettetwo
Pro

How about putting it to a vote? Membership is probably split down the middle for this topic and everyone wants clarification.

@flying vette stated the question very well.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:08 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

If I had to guess Tadge's/GM's answer, it would be that the car is designed to be used and not stored. He'll also reiterate the recommendations outlined in the owners manual pertaining to the battery and tires.
MMD (12-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Best Practice Recommendations for Winter Storage

Quick Reply: Best Practice Recommendations for Winter Storage